Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2017, 03:16 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,877,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is a good question. How does the OP encounter other residents so frequently? Do they see him coming up the walkway from their windows, and rush out into the hall? Does he have to walk through a recreation room to get to the stairs or elevator? How did these (formerly) chronic ambushes take place?
I have to walk through the lobby, full of couches and chairs, to get to the elevator or stairs. The courtyard in front of the building also has benches, where people sit during the warmer months of the year. There are also two stopping points: one to get buzzed into the door, the other to sign the visitors' log. So they provide opportunities for people to start conversations with me.

I'm cool with asking "how's your day?" and making small talk here or there. I see it as a gesture of common decency. (This is how most conversations go today.) But when the topics turned to marital matchmaking and didn't stop, that's when I had to draw the line.

Old 04-17-2017, 03:24 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
I have to walk through the lobby, full of couches and chairs, to get to the elevator or stairs. The courtyard in front of the building also has benches, where people sit during the warmer months of the year. There are also two stopping points: one to get buzzed into the door, the other to sign the visitors' log. So they provide opportunities for people to start conversations with me.

I'm cool with asking "how's your day?" and making small talk here or there. I see it as a gesture of common decency. (This is how most conversations go today.) But when the topics turned to marital matchmaking and didn't stop, that's when I had to draw the line.
So, you have to run a gauntlet, just to get to the elevator. Brutal! Sounds like you've pretty much resolved the situation, though. Now all you have to do if you see someone sidling up, or gazing your way, is scowl at them. That should remind them you're not interested and have 0 tolerance for matchmaking talk.

It's just life, OP. Don't let it get to you.

Old 04-17-2017, 03:37 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,921,420 times
Talk about being easily offended. Good grief...

Old 04-17-2017, 03:39 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,877,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Talk about being easily offended. Good grief...
Are you saying it wouldn't bother you to be seen as "someone for a stranger to marry", rather than as your own person? I get that it's cultural differences and what-have-you, but still.

Old 04-17-2017, 03:41 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,056,289 times
Quote:
Are you saying it wouldn't bother you to be seen as "someone for a stranger to marry", rather than as your own person? I get that it's cultural differences and what-have-you, but still.
Drop the 'but still.' It's just bored old people talk.

Old 04-17-2017, 04:05 PM

8,272 posts, read 8,657,742 times
Quote:
It has nothing to do with culture. I have had the same thing happen to me with old people of different cultures and a few times of a different race.

Not hard to say you are not interested. Takes seconds.

Maybe someday one of their sons or grandsons will hear you not being nice to an old lady and teach you some manners.

Old 04-17-2017, 04:11 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
It has nothing to do with culture. I have had the same thing happen to me with old people of different cultures and a few times of a different race.

Not hard to say you are not interested. Takes seconds.

Maybe someday one of their sons or grandsons will hear you not being nice to an old lady and teach you some manners.
OP is from Chicago, he could probably handle an overzealous family member trying to threaten him.

Old 04-17-2017, 04:17 PM

5,745 posts, read 4,701,984 times
Holy snowflake.

Why are trying so hard to find something to be annoyed/offended at?

Ask anybody who has a jewish grandmother and that isn't married by age 25 what that grandmother does all day.... try to set them up.

Old 04-17-2017, 05:37 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,203,549 times
Look, kid, it's not just cultural. When these women (and others of the same era) were young, they didn't do a lot of dating around. Sometimes they met a guy and as long as he was relatively respectable, that was it. As others have pointed out here, criteria for marriage were often "He's clean. He has a job. He hasn't been to jail." They didn't have Tinder or Plenty of Fish. They didn't have Meetup.com. They met men at church or in their community by others fixing them up.

For heaven's sake, take it as a semi-compliment: Obviously, the grannies don't find you repulsive or unacceptable. I doubt they're all running a green card racket either. Getting all wrought up about this seems like much ado about not much. And MGTOW away to your heart's content if it's workin' for ya, as Dr Phil would say.

Old 04-17-2017, 05:45 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatzPaw View Post
Look, kid, it's not just cultural. When these women (and others of the same era) were young, they didn't do a lot of dating around. Sometimes they met a guy and as long as he was relatively respectable, that was it. As others have pointed out here, criteria for marriage were often "He's clean. He has a job. He hasn't been to jail." They didn't have Tinder or Plenty of Fish. They didn't have Meetup.com. They met men at church or in their community by others fixing them up.

For heaven's sake, take it as a semi-compliment: Obviously, the grannies don't find you repulsive or unacceptable. I doubt they're all running a green card racket either. Getting all wrought up about this seems like much ado about not much. And MGTOW away to your heart's content if it's workin' for ya, as Dr Phil would say.
Hey, maybe the grannies have a thing for the OP themselves! That would explain why they haven't taken his "no"-s for an answer.

OP, you're hot! When you're hot, you're hot! Life could be worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships