Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 10:25 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,027,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by codergirl View Post
You're not wrong for feeling this way BUT you're wrong for NOT saying anything when it first started.he is treating your home as if it's a hotel or something.Speak up and say something.Why the hell can't he do his own laundry before they leave...why do YOU have to do it? Once again someone taking advantage of your generous hospitality.
The son is doing his own laundry.

The OP thought her washer and dryer were so unique that no one could figure out how to use them, so she felt the need to always be there to start the washer and dryer for an adult man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2019, 12:18 PM

14,494 posts, read 12,128,212 times
FWIW, I think offering the laundry is a good thing for a host to do, and not an unreasonable thing for guests to want to do. Some may need to refresh their clothes during the trip if they packed light... some may just not want to repack dirty clothes.

IT'S NOT A BIG DEAL FOR THEM TO DO A LOAD OR EVEN TWO, OF LAUNDRY!

I would probably offer to do it, or at least get it started for them, mostly because our own things may be in the way and I may need to go in and clear the way for them, set out the detergent, and clear a space for them to sort and fold, etc... because that's the nice thing to do.

Old 01-15-2019, 12:42 PM

28,900 posts, read 30,279,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGS4EVER View Post
This is a family member who is 36, married, good job, 2 kids under 5. Whenever he visits he asks to use the washer/dryer on the day they leave. I have never had anyone, relative or friend, ask to use our washer and dryer to do their clothes.

Honestly, it really bugs me. I do enjoy their visits, but seriously, I already have to cook and clean up after them, plus change the sheets and towels and wash them, so I have to do their laundry too? To be clear, I plan for their visit and create daily menus, have their beverages on hand, what the kids like to eat etc. I just don't get this quirk of doing their laundry before they leave. They have their own house with a washer/dryer and his wife doesn't work so ???

Am I wrong to feel this way?
I can understand why he might want to do "his" laundry, but next time, tell him right out, that if any of his laundry needs to be done he has to tend to it....period.

When my son visit's he does their laundry and I do mine when I visit him? There is no problem as far as I'm concerned, but he takes care of his, I take care of mine.

Old 01-15-2019, 12:45 PM

12,779 posts, read 14,992,488 times
(I only read the OP's 1st & 2nd posts so far.) I'd automatically think that your relative/guest wants fresh clothing to pack up and not stink up his luggage/bags with dirty clothing. It probably makes it easier for him on his end when he gets back home. The clothing would probably be wrinkled though, but I guess he'd rather have clean & clean-smelling, yet wrinkled clothing in his suitcase over stinky, dirty, & wrinkled clothing in his suitcase.

I wouldn't find that too odd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships