Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 05:35 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,521,445 times

Advertisements

Anyone experience getting stabbed in the back by co-workers as you advance more in your career?

Its finally sinking in to me that you cannot have friends at work unless you want to stay at a low level.

Every time I rise up a little I experience backstabbing, sabotage or other nonsense from co-workers. Often people whom I had good relationships with before. Its very disappointing and sad.

I have a buddy experiencing the same thing on his job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2017, 05:50 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,799,123 times
Yes. Yes. Yes.
I was unpleasantly surprised by just how vindictive and resentful former friends could be if also colleagues. It has been about four years now, and we still work together, but there is zero friendship. This colleague takes every opportunity to promote me and they rest of my peers (the level above$ under the bus at every opportunity. I cannot imagine being so tied to a promotion to be that vengeful. In any case, I have learned my lesson - there is no such thing as deep friendship with peers or anyone in the same department.

Old 04-30-2017, 05:50 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,449,930 times
Sorry to hear you are enduring this. I suspect that some haven't been given much encouragement when another climbs the ladder. Its tough on both sides. Usually it subsides once they see that the person lives up to the tasks and treats them in regard.

Old 04-30-2017, 07:31 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,034,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
Anyone experience getting stabbed in the back by co-workers as you advance more in your career?

Its finally sinking in to me that you cannot have friends at work unless you want to stay at a low level.

Every time I rise up a little I experience backstabbing, sabotage or other nonsense from co-workers. Often people whom I had good relationships with before. Its very disappointing and sad.

That's ridiculous. I have a lot of long-time friendships that began on the job and have survived changes in employment, et al. I mean, one of my best friends in the world is a guy I worked for 26 years ago. I earned his respect, made him look really good, and then chased another opportunity. Now, he calls me for career advice, and I'm happy to oblige. I am always corresponding with former colleagues and former employees. Partly because I never had an axe to grind at the office, did good work, and lived up to commitments.

Every time I hear someone whining about backstabbing or office politics, I'm 99% certain that one, several, or all of these are true:

1) The person complaining lacks good people skills and social antennae. It's just amazing to me how some people can't take a hint or even listen to fairly straightforward criticism.

2) The person complaining has a deficiency in either how well he does his job, how well he relates to customers and clients, or fails to understand the larger needs of the company. Trust me. If you're good at your job, the clients like you, and you deliver profitability for the company, you will keep rising wherever you go.

3) The person complaining doesn't network or continually learn new things. Guess what? The world is constantly changing. New skills are needed, the world keeps changing. The go-getter upstart always gets the nod over the veteran who resists change.

4) The person complaining isn't particularly trusted by anyone. Office gossips are the worst. Then there are those who don't live up to their commitments or deadlines. Or can't be trusted to say intelligent things in meetings.

5) The person complaining doesn't consider the positions and needs of co-workers. Hey there will be conflicts. The ability to compromise, resolve matters, and generally finesse a good working relationship matters a lot.

6) The person is, yes, naive. In who he trusts, and what he tells them. But that's not the same as being victimized.

And, in 1% of all situations, the person complaining is mired in an office where those kinds of shenanigans are indeed part of the culture. But that's not true of the large majority or nothing would get done. Everyone would operate in an air of mutual suspicion.

Last edited by MinivanDriver; 04-30-2017 at 07:41 PM..

Old 04-30-2017, 08:14 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,737,988 times
Quote:

As a rule, I don't befriend coworkers. Now, I know it is important to maintain a functional working relationship so I try to stay friendly but I'm very reserved against being too close to coworkers. Because when more money or a better position is on the line, every man for himself.

Old 04-30-2017, 08:20 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,850,918 times
Never ever trust coworkers.You can move on whenever.I have coworker friends in my teens and 20's but now no.They will turn on you at the drop of a hat .

Old 04-30-2017, 10:01 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,521,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
That's ridiculous. I have a lot of long-time friendships that began on the job and have survived changes in employment, et al. I mean, one of my best friends in the world is a guy I worked for 26 years ago. I earned his respect, made him look really good, and then chased another opportunity. Now, he calls me for career advice, and I'm happy to oblige. I am always corresponding with former colleagues and former employees. Partly because I never had an axe to grind at the office, did good work, and lived up to commitments.

Every time I hear someone whining about backstabbing or office politics, I'm 99% certain that one, several, or all of these are true:

1) The person complaining lacks good people skills and social antennae. It's just amazing to me how some people can't take a hint or even listen to fairly straightforward criticism.

2) The person complaining has a deficiency in either how well he does his job, how well he relates to customers and clients, or fails to understand the larger needs of the company. Trust me. If you're good at your job, the clients like you, and you deliver profitability for the company, you will keep rising wherever you go.

3) The person complaining doesn't network or continually learn new things. Guess what? The world is constantly changing. New skills are needed, the world keeps changing. The go-getter upstart always gets the nod over the veteran who resists change.

4) The person complaining isn't particularly trusted by anyone. Office gossips are the worst. Then there are those who don't live up to their commitments or deadlines. Or can't be trusted to say intelligent things in meetings.

5) The person complaining doesn't consider the positions and needs of co-workers. Hey there will be conflicts. The ability to compromise, resolve matters, and generally finesse a good working relationship matters a lot.

6) The person is, yes, naive. In who he trusts, and what he tells them. But that's not the same as being victimized.

And, in 1% of all situations, the person complaining is mired in an office where those kinds of shenanigans are indeed part of the culture. But that's not true of the large majority or nothing would get done. Everyone would operate in an air of mutual suspicion.
When you are rising in your career you become a threat to people one way or another. That's when the backstabbing starts. When I was very low level I never got stabbed in the back.

Good job with the victim blaming though. Well done.

Old 04-30-2017, 11:56 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,063,495 times
Quote:

Nope, you're probably seeking the wrong thing instead of focusing on what matters.
Your buddy is experiencing the same thing because he is your buddy, he is like you.

Old 05-01-2017, 12:43 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,215,035 times
I work alone and maintain a friendly relationship at shift change. I don't mix work and fun relationships.

Old 05-01-2017, 06:17 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,034,778 times
Quote:
When you are rising in your career you become a threat to people one way or another. That's when the backstabbing starts. When I was very low level I never got stabbed in the back.

Good job with the victim blaming though. Well done.
You aren't a victim. Chances are pretty strong that you got what you deserved. Maybe rather than blame everyone else for not getting the promotion, getting fired, or whatever, you should look at your own performance and behavior on the job to see what you did to create this situation. Feeling sorry for yourself and blaming the world is a bad way to get ahead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships