Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 08:55 PM

741 posts, read 591,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
If it's a really small wedding, that could be the reason. They may have invited only out of politeness but don't really want lots of guests so they'd be okay if he doesn't show up.
It doesn’t matter what size the wedding is. It’s never polite to invite only one half of a married, engaged, or cohabiting couple. I keep repeating this criteria to emphasize that we’re talking about established or long term couples, not some flavor-of-the-month that the invitee has decided to couple up with so he or she has a date for the wedding.

If you can’t afford to invite both halves of established couples (whether or not you know the other half) then scale back the wedding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2017, 06:58 AM

10,010 posts, read 5,715,978 times
Quote:
If it's a really small wedding, that could be the reason. They may have invited only out of politeness but don't really want lots of guests so they'd be okay if he doesn't show up.
This is contradictory -- there's no way to send a wedding invitation out of "politeness" that conspicuously excludes the spouse. If you don't want someone to attend your wedding, you just. don't. invite. them, OR their spouse.

Old 10-31-2017, 08:17 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,307,187 times
Quote:
There can be no reason for an outright slight...no excuse for downright rudeness.

Old 10-31-2017, 08:33 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,259,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairMindedLL View Post
It doesn’t matter what size the wedding is. It’s never polite to invite only one half of a married, engaged, or cohabiting couple. I keep repeating this criteria to emphasize that we’re talking about established or long term couples, not some flavor-of-the-month that the invitee has decided to couple up with so he or she has a date for the wedding.

If you can’t afford to invite both halves of established couples (whether or not you know the other half) then scale back the wedding.
yep. Many people have said this over the course of this long thread, but it is still shocking to me that some people don't get it and attempt to justify the idea of inviting a husband but explicitly not inviting the wife.

Old 10-31-2017, 09:22 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,653,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
There can be no reason for an outright slight...no excuse for downright rudeness.
There's most definitely a reason for the slight. The OP has a long history with the person who sent the invite and they don't get along.

Old 10-31-2017, 09:48 AM

2,053 posts, read 1,530,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
There's most definitely a reason for the slight. The OP has a long history with the person who sent the invite and they don't get along.
If this is true why is she 'shocked and surprised' that the person only invited the husband?

I mean the invitation is rude but if you don't get along with the person, why are you upset at not being included? Would the OP have gone?

Old 10-31-2017, 09:51 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,544,097 times
I can only imagine this happening 30 years ago due to a racial or sexual orientation issue. Otherwise it is an oversight.

Last edited by Crashj007; 10-31-2017 at 09:52 AM.. Reason: Gay lez issue?

Old 10-31-2017, 09:58 AM

1,397 posts, read 1,149,744 times
People are selfish. They want a fancy wedding at whatever price they can afford and will exclude half of a couple if that's what it takes to do it. No one cares about etiquette anymore. They'll even include registry information and honeymoon "gofundmes" in their invitations. Don't even get me started about brides who throw themselves their own showers. OP, I would decline the rude invite.

Old 10-31-2017, 10:03 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,259,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Two wrongs don't make a right. It's inappropriate to invite the husband and exclude the wife, period.

Old 10-31-2017, 11:10 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,653,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
If this is true why is she 'shocked and surprised' that the person only invited the husband?

I mean the invitation is rude but if you don't get along with the person, why are you upset at not being included? Would the OP have gone?
Probably because the OP was surprised the invite even came. The OP posted on here a few times about issues she's had with the person who sent the invitation. The husband said he was going without her. So that tells you a lot about this situation.

I don't get why the OP is upset about not being invited since they don't get along. I totally see why she's be uber ticked off at her husband for going. The whole thing is a hot mess!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships