Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2017, 08:20 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
No one has a "right" to go to a wedding if they aren't invited.
If the spouse is invited then YES...they do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2017, 08:21 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,631 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
No, they don't. (We could go on like this for a number of posts, but I prefer not to. No one has a 'right' to attend someone else's catered event, regardless of whoever else was invited)

Old 05-05-2017, 08:31 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
OK ClaraC...we know your opinion...i just disagree with you...no biggy though.

Old 05-05-2017, 08:37 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,514,349 times
Your husband may think it's better to not offend his family even though they are the ones in the wrong, but I can guarantee you're not going to forget about this, especially because you've been wronged twice in this (by the relative who was rude to not invite you and your husband who chose them over you). Bad decision on his part.

Old 05-05-2017, 08:38 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbjen View Post
Your husband may think it's better to not offend his family even though they are the ones in the wrong, but I can guarantee you're not going to forget about this, especially because you've been wronged twice in this (by the relative who was rude to not invite you and your husband who chose them over you). Bad decision on his part.
I agree completely. Slights like this fester, and are NOT forgotten.

I wish the OP would come back and post an update on how she's doing.

Old 05-05-2017, 08:41 AM

3,861 posts, read 3,152,805 times
If your husband is considered an important part of his "old" family, and they were not considerate enough to invite "Mr. and Mrs.", or at least "and a guest" , it is in poor taste. the husband is close to his family, and should ask the relative what is up.

Chances could be that some one else has generated the list, did not think to ask how many, could be the bridesmaid, s/o parents, or even the bride herself, breezing through a list. You guys have been married for years, and his "old" family needs to get it together. Both of you should have been shown a little simple respect.

If it was not a typo, none of you should go, f that! Big weddings are done to celebrate, and get some envelopes, really. I don't really like going to weddings, for a number of reasons, but that new couple just made a big rookie mistake.

people make the event too formal of an occasion. Unless you are an observant religious follower, what is the point of the church? And that grand ball, with a bridal party, all to spend money, put on a show. whatever happened to the weddings of the past? you know, everyone is invited personally, at the last family gathering, like on Christmas/thanksgiving? you learn what is happening with everyone. the invite that says simply "I want you and your family" to attend.

Old 05-05-2017, 09:57 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,278,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I agree completely. Slights like this fester, and are NOT forgotten.

I wish the OP would come back and post an update on how she's doing.

With people like you saying that she doesn't have the right to go, why would she?

Old 05-05-2017, 10:00 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,113,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Welllll, as much I am 100% in the OP's camp, this is way too broad of a generalization. Fact of the matter is, no, no one who isn't invited to an invitation-only event is entitled to go. The spouse is free to decline the invitation, but it's not their "right" to bring along their uninvited spouse.

Pretty sure the etiquette rule "don't show up with uninvited guests" trumps the etiquette rule "spouses are always invited as a couple"

Old 05-05-2017, 10:07 AM

^^^^^^ This.

Old 05-05-2017, 10:08 AM

2,276 posts, read 1,670,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbjen View Post
Agree with this ^^^. It sounds like the husband is just shrugging off the exclusion of his wife but is still going to enjoy the wedding himself.

Mistakes and mix-ups can happen. The cousin could be contacted through text or email and be asked if his wife was invited or not, with the premise it may have been an unfortunate mix-up. A written question would give the groom the chance to check out the situation before responding.

A phone call can lead to a more awkward situation as the groom may be defensive. Give time for the groom to rectify the situation if he chooses to do so.

If the wife is really excluded and the husband still goes, it would be a sign of complete disrespect to me. Seriously, putting a cousin's feelings before your spouse? Completely unacceptable to many spouses of any gender.

If the wife is excluded, I like the response another poster mentioned that you and your wife had other plans that weekend but wished the happy couple well. But it seems like hubby doesn't even want to check it out and chooses to go solo. Personally he wouldn't be my husband for much longer as I would never consider treating him like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships