Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 01:31 PM

4,064 posts, read 2,150,646 times

Advertisements

I've had "friends" who insisted that their criticism was well-intended, to help me. Don't believe it! Check out this article from O Magazine about friends who want to be brutally honest---as the writer noted, she felt these critiques were keeping her honest, but they were just keeping her injured.

http://www.oprah.com/inspiration/eli...t-who-to-trust
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 02:39 PM

1,585 posts, read 1,935,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by br242 View Post
i dont need reassurance on my appearance. most of my female friends and i never talk about it.

my appearance only comes up with her because she makes negative comments about it. so its noticeable that she is only saying negative things and avoiding positive comments.

my other female friends could think im the sexiest/ugliest guy alive and i woudlnt know it .

and its not just my appearance, its like the conversation about the ****ty text from my ex. she blatantly tried everything she could to turn it back on me. rather than say "that was ****ty of her"
Well I guess what we can learn from this is that 4th graders should not be given cell phones.

Old 05-08-2017, 04:20 PM

48,575 posts, read 34,956,927 times
I wouldn't tolerate someone like that.

Why are you friends?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-08-2017, 04:54 PM

69 posts, read 47,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckWife518 View Post
OP, I'm confused: why do you even consider this person your "friend?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectoris View Post
She isn't generous with empathy, for some reason. She hasn't picked up on your venting about stuff in your life - you are just wanting to share your frustration and hear some sympathy, agreement, phrases like 'aw man, that sucks...." etc etc.

She has taken it upon herself to 'sort you out', solve your problems by telling you you're the one with the problem. lol.

I do have to wonder what you have in common and why you're friends. Is there another side of her which you really like? She sounds pretty confrontational and condescending.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Exactly. Where in this picture is the "friendship" part, OP?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I wouldn't tolerate someone like that.

Why are you friends?
i dont think it was this way always or i just didnt notice. like i said i never talk about my appearance to my female friends or send them pics or anything, so she could of always been like this.

i picked up on it when we were out and someone made a dick drunk comment. and she was like "i wonder what they would of said about me" and then awkwardly avoiding saying anything reassuring.

most people would of been like "**** that person". but she turned it around on herself and almost validation sought from me wanting a complement on her appearance and awkwardly avoided saying anything that would be reassuring about the incident.

then i noticed how she would awkwardly do things like that alot. like unsolicated say critical things about my appearance and go on an awkward amount about it or say my past relationships didnt count and go on about it an awkward amount, blatantly trying everything she could to turn my ex gf sending me a petty text into me starting it when i hadnt tried to contact her in like 9 months.

i guess ive let it go for a month or so, because i thought i was being silly. like can i really hold it against someone for not saying reassuring/complements? seems pretty petty on my part.

but then i started to sour on things when i was out having fun on vacation and she kind of buzzkilled me with an unsolicitated slew of text of how my posture wass bad and how people are going to think im insecure and meek. then the ex gf thing happened and i started to really sour on it as she was blatantly turning things on me to make it seem like i was the bad guy/person when the only thing i did was screenshot the petty text my ex gf sent me lol

Old 05-08-2017, 05:34 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,714,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
I've had "friends" who insisted that their criticism was well-intended, to help me. Don't believe it! Check out this article from O Magazine about friends who want to be brutally honest---as the writer noted, she felt these critiques were keeping her honest, but they were just keeping her injured.

http://www.oprah.com/inspiration/eli...t-who-to-trust
Yes. The excuse is "I'm just being honest" but if you were to criticize them the same way, they'd be offended and upset.

And notice how these "brutally honest" people rarely have a kind thing to say about anyone. It's all negativity and criticism.

Old 05-08-2017, 05:38 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,714,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasth View Post
I do not believe this is healthy and being on the receiving end of such behavior usually takes a toll. There are some people who just like feeling superior and being in control. I have seen people like that cultivate "friendships" which feeds into it.
Some people go around looking for someone they can tear down; someone who will "take it" so to speak, at least for a while.

If I don't feel good around someone, eventually, I cut them loose. I only spend time with people who I enjoy being with. I'm getting older and don't have time to waste with anyone's so-called "constructive criticism".

Old 05-08-2017, 06:12 PM

69 posts, read 47,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
Some people go around looking for someone they can tear down; someone who will "take it" so to speak, at least for a while.

If I don't feel good around someone, eventually, I cut them loose. I only spend time with people who I enjoy being with. I'm getting older and don't have time to waste with anyone's so-called "constructive criticism".
im from an abusive family

so, not only do i attract people like you describe, i let them hang around as i have a hard time telling if something is ****ty behavior and even if i realize it is, i make excuses for it and believe them my self.

for example, the story of me having a pic having a blast and being goofy on vacation.

she sends 7 text tearing into my posture an dhow people will think im weak and insecure.

twice during her slew of text, i said "ok. i get it" and she continued.

then at the end she said

"awe"

she did the same thing with my ex gf text when she tried to turn it around on me. She goes you seem really upset, i hope your not upset at me. when i didnt respond instantly to her blaming it all on me, despite the fact that i blatantly did nothing.

part of mee feels like she knows damn well that she is tearing me down due to the "awe" and i hope your not upset at me

then the other part of me reasons

1) well she could be trying to help me out

2) she has had alot of plastic surgery herself. this just may just be how she thinks.

Old 05-08-2017, 09:43 PM

372 posts, read 534,878 times
You're too much in your head.

Seems to me that you're looking for support to leave someone who's not kind and supportive.

You know what it feels like to have good friends. Do more of that.

Trust yourself to begin to have less contact with toxic person. She'll find someone else.

Hang with people who "feel" good.

Whatever your personal history is, you choose your life.

Choose well.

Walk toward people who make you a better person.

If you don't know what that is, get into good therapy, relationship coaching, meditation, or religion.

Life is too short to be caring about what unsupportive people think.

Take a lot of courage to leave the past behind.

I think you can do it.

Old 05-08-2017, 09:55 PM

102,246 posts, read 108,146,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by br242 View Post
im from an abusive family

so, not only do i attract people like you describe, i let them hang around as i have a hard time telling if something is ****ty behavior and even if i realize it is, i make excuses for it and believe them my self.
OP, she has issues. It's not normal behavior. And you have issues, too, so the two of you kind of mesh, but not enough that you're not noticing. That's the good news--you're noticing. But you have some self-doubt. This is where you get to exercise your trust in your inner voice, your gut instinct, that's trying to tell you there's something wrong with this picture, and you should bail. Because of your family background, you didn't learn to trust the little voice inside. The little voice got steamrolled over and over, probably, as you were growing up. So here is a great opportunity to learn to trust your gut, and give people who are giving you a bad time the old heave-ho. You'll probably feel better afterward.

Now, how to get this person out of your life, is the next question. You can either back away slowly, and do a fade-out, being "too busy" to engage (I don't know how often she's used to hanging out with you), or you can tell her the "friendship" isn't really working for you, so you're joining some new groups and you're moving on.

Old 05-08-2017, 10:06 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,262,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sansea View Post
You're too much in your head.

Seems to me that you're looking for support to leave someone who's not kind and supportive.

You know what it feels like to have good friends. Do more of that.

Trust yourself to begin to have less contact with toxic person. She'll find someone else.

Hang with people who "feel" good.

Whatever your personal history is, you choose your life.

Choose well.

Walk toward people who make you a better person.

If you don't know what that is, get into good therapy, relationship coaching, meditation, or religion.

Life is too short to be caring about what unsupportive people think.

Take a lot of courage to leave the past behind.

I think you can do it.
x1000.

Way too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships