Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 01:52 PM

11,218 posts, read 9,847,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Can we agree to put those with extreme attitudes on either end of the spectrum into the same category? That the idea of using ma'am defines one as a "Southern hick" is just as offensive as those calling out others for not using it as "Northern/Western boors" who weren't raised properly?
I certainly never called anyone a boor, or suggested that they weren't raised properly. I'm just saying that it is a proper and appropriate term for any woman of marriageable age. As I mentioned I was raised in CA, so I am from the west and it's a very common thing to say in the west or the south, and probably everywhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 02:01 PM

2,879 posts, read 4,559,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
The carcass has been kicked, beatin, and set on fire

THIS ^^^^ is the appropriate time to be called "ma'am" - only after my carcass has been kicked, beaten & set on fire can you call me "ma'am"

Old 05-16-2017, 02:03 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,529,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I certainly never called anyone a boor, or suggested that they weren't raised properly. I'm just saying that it is a proper and appropriate term for any woman of marriageable age. As I mentioned I was raised in CA, so I am from the west and it's a very common thing to say in the west or the south, and probably everywhere else.
I never accused you of saying anything at all

Just saying both attitudes are equally offensive. Those who take umbrage (justifiably) for being called a "hick" but look down their noses at those parts of the country where the usage is not predominant, are being hypocritical.

Old 05-16-2017, 02:35 PM

1,133 posts, read 1,356,206 times
A little late getting onto this thread, but without having reviewed any/all previous responses to the OP, my immediate knee-jerk reaction/advice to the question is: If you find yourself over-thinking/analysing the situation facing you, just go ahead, be nice, blink in a semi-submissive (but 'warm-hearted/friendly') way and SAY it: "Yes Ma'am" or "No Ma'am"...and let the situation roll as it will.

What will it hurt, to simply set the 'tone' of the conversation by being polite ? Not much at all, as far as I'm concerned.

What IF the woman/lady you are speaking with is younger or of 'lesser station' than yourself ? So what ?

It's called BEING POLITE....and you cannot possibly fore-see what 'doors' may be opened (or closed) by extending such a level of politeness...nobody can know these things until it comes to pass.

Y'know, it just now occurs to me that (assuming what we are told in the Book of Genesis is correct, and each and every one of us ARE direct-decendents of Noah and his family.......several thousands of yrs later, we are ALL 'family' whether we like it or not, so this being the case...who among us (reading through this thread has NEVER faced the time-honored tradition of a family-get-together (Thanksgiving, X-mas, Kwanza, etc, etc) where you are introduced by your Mother or Father, to someone directly-related to all of you, who you have NEVER met before ? And yet you ARE expected to be polite, whether or not you are 'feeling' it, at the time.

That's how it works best, when meeting strangers...we are ALL family, whether we know it or not...so just BE POLITE.

Quit worrying about 'age'...cuz age is JUST a number...and only COMPUTERS deal in numbers...one's and zero's, whenever they are turned on and 'computing'.

Are YOU a computer ?

If not...then act HUMAN, with love and compassion for OTHER humans. "Yes Sir/Yes Ma'am" or "No Sir/No Ma'am".

At the very least, consider this: "Karma has no 'menu'. You get served EXACTLY what you deserve".

Old 05-16-2017, 03:54 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,543,159 times
Meh. I use it for everyone. My husband has been called ma'am on more than one occasion. Nicer than the other names I call him

My question is why is it ok to call any guy "sir", but only ok to call older women "ma'am"? That's pretty sexist if you ask me.

I don't call anyone other than a child "miss". I don't like the word, I think it just sounds weird. And again, is there a male equivalent? If not, I don't use it.

Old 05-16-2017, 03:59 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,811,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
Meh. I use it for everyone. My husband has been called ma'am on more than one occasion. Nicer than the other names I call him

My question is why is it ok to call any guy "sir", but only ok to call older women "ma'am"? That's pretty sexist if you ask me.

I don't call anyone other than a child "miss". I don't like the word, I think it just sounds weird. And again, is there a male equivalent? If not, I don't use it.
I laughed when I read that your husband has been called ma'am. I have a friend who is a woman but who gets called "sir" or "mister" ALL the time. She just laughs about it at this point.

Old 05-16-2017, 04:10 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,568,347 times
It did make me feel old at first, but it's clearly not rude unless the person's tone is rude.

I've noticed that people who call you "Lady" almost never say it politely!

Old 05-16-2017, 04:44 PM

24,152 posts, read 32,653,403 times
None, in my region of the country.

I don't think age has anything to do with it, it is a contraction of "Madam", which signifies a married woman. So as to age, I would probably say that women who are clearly out of their teens, and are probably 25 or older.

I am personally sick of this whole "ma'am" "sir" debate.

It boils down to this - 1. If you are a Northerner visiting the South, you will find yourself being called "ma'am" or "sir" as the case may be. This may also happen if an individual, such as a server at a restaurant, did not understand you. Then you will hear "Ma'am?" or "Sir?" as the case may be.

2. If you join the military, you will use and hear these terms.

DEAL WITH IT - or STAY HOME.

3. If you are from the South and are traveling in the North, please do not be appalled if you are NOT addressed by these appellations, please do not feel insulted. This is not our custom.

4. In the North it is not indicative of "poor manners" or a "substandard upbringing" when these terms are not used.

If you can't deal with it, again, stay don't travel.

Why is this so hard for people to understand?

Last edited by sheena12; 05-16-2017 at 05:59 PM..

Old 05-16-2017, 04:56 PM

11,126 posts, read 5,625,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquest View Post
I've heard that some women see "ma'am" as a form of address that makes them sound old. To them, I ask two questions-1)What age would you be fine with/expect to be called "ma'am" (and how old would a woman look before you would use "ma'am" on her), and 2)How would you prefer to be addressed if not "ma'am," (and what degree of respect would you show to a woman too young for "ma'am")?
I can tell you how I feel about being addressed as "sir". I consider it as an insult. Using it is the same as saying that someone is old enough that they are no longer considered to be in play and are of no interest to the person using the term.

Old 05-16-2017, 05:47 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,083,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquest View Post
I've heard that some women see "ma'am" as a form of address that makes them sound old. To them, I ask two questions-1)What age would you be fine with/expect to be called "ma'am" (and how old would a woman look before you would use "ma'am" on her), and 2)How would you prefer to be addressed if not "ma'am," (and what degree of respect would you show to a woman too young for "ma'am")?
AT 29 its BABE.
After 30 and 7 months its madame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships