Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 09:40 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,529,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
Ok, so you want to ask a woman a question, but you do not know her name. What would you address her as to let her know you are talking to her? Same for a man?

"Excuse me, do you happen to have the time?"

Works for all ages and either gender. Contrary to popular belief, no "hey you" is involved.

Nothing wrong with adding ma'am or sir but it is perfectly polite amd respectful even without the honorific.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2017, 09:53 PM

314 posts, read 489,723 times
M'aam to southern ears is one thing and usually it is polite. But to Northern (and Western) ears it sounds rude or akin to calling someone old. I think thats where the whole "Don't call me m'aam" thing in politics came up. For the southern gentleman, he was trying to be respectful, but to her, a northerner representing a western state, it came off as the opposite.

Old 05-15-2017, 10:04 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,559,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Here in the south, it's not considered an offensive term at all.

Folks here use it all the time, for any woman they want to show respect. I love it; ma'am me all day and all night, for all I care.
I'm with you!

Old 05-15-2017, 11:48 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,615,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
The term has nothing at all to do with age and those of us who were taught at a very young age what respect is and how to address someone with respect knows the difference.
Being referred to as *my old lady* by one's husband is disrespectful in my opinion.
I wouldn't tolerate that for one hot second. That expression has always made my skin crawl.

Old 05-16-2017, 12:01 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,615,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
Well, ma'am, you folks up there in "affluent southern New England" sure are special. Here in the islands older folks are referred to as "Uncle" and "Auntie" as terms of respect. I'm guessing that would cause your affluent southern New England head to explode.

Mahalo
Hoot
I knew a couple years ago who were first-generation immigrants from mainland China, and the woman called all elderly ladies "Grandma." I think it raised a few eyebrows, but I knew her well enough to realize that she still had a very traditional outlook that held the aged in high esteem, and meant it as a term of affection and respect.

Old 05-16-2017, 12:32 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,122,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
sir and ma'am are terms of respect and endearment

tho not overly popular up north here,,it does mean respect,,

we use more "dear" hon" "honey"

I like "darlin" but the men hating pc crowd seems to get offended by that
Ha! I adore men, but unless he's old enough to be my grandpa (80+) I don't want any man I'm not related to calling me "hon" or "honey" and certainly not "darlin'"!!

Old 05-16-2017, 06:18 AM

5,854 posts, read 3,266,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquest View Post
I've heard that some women see "ma'am" as a form of address that makes them sound old. To them, I ask two questions-1)What age would you be fine with/expect to be called "ma'am" (and how old would a woman look before you would use "ma'am" on her), and 2)How would you prefer to be addressed if not "ma'am," (and what degree of respect would you show to a woman too young for "ma'am")?
When she is obviously senior to the young man addressing her. It also applies when the young man is 15 and the woman is 25.

When I was twenty five a child said sir to me. I looked behind me to see who he was talking to.

Old 05-16-2017, 07:39 AM

1,065 posts, read 602,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquest View Post
I've heard that some women see "ma'am" as a form of address that makes them sound old. To them, I ask two questions-1)What age would you be fine with/expect to be called "ma'am" (and how old would a woman look before you would use "ma'am" on her), and 2)How would you prefer to be addressed if not "ma'am," (and what degree of respect would you show to a woman too young for "ma'am")?
It depends on two things: where in the country you live - south probably okay whatever age - realize they use their manners more often - such as look behind them so a door doesn't shut in someone else's face; and how often ma'am is said in a discussion - more than once or twice appears disrespectful. Mrs is never appropriate because a wedding ring doesn't mean the wife uses the husband's last name or she may be a widow.

Old 05-16-2017, 07:51 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,529,519 times
Quote:
realize they use their manners more often
Again, it's not a matter of better manners to use those words, rather it's different manners.

Old 05-16-2017, 08:00 AM

322 posts, read 287,879 times
I am 22 and regularly get mistaken for 16/17. Yet some older folk call me ma'am. I'm not quite sure why? But I don't mind lol. And I guess I don't really qualify to be called ma'am, and I'm sure it's being used as a term of endearment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships