Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 10:02 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,446,284 times

Advertisements

as long as I am not called Late for dinner...
You may address me as Miss Nov or Hey Lady!

I've answered to many things....

Just glad they acknowledge I am a female. I enjoy knowing my gender ...and behaving in a lady like way.

You'd offend me if you called me "it" since this New Age of Gender neutrality seems to be all the rage.

My Step Mom was from the south, I loved How she'd call a Neighbor Miss Sue or Miss Betty. It sounded polite and showed regard. to this day when I speak to an associate ...its Miss Sue Or Mister Mike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2017, 10:21 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
I think it used to be once a woman was married, but I don't thing that applies anymore.

Yeah, it stung to be "m'amed" but it is a polite form of address so there is no sense kicking up a fuss.

I think the term "miss" should be put to bed, and all women called "m'am" (if anything), because it no longer matters whether or not you are married.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-13-2017, 10:27 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,402,959 times
I'm almost 29 and I feel like I get addressed as ma'am more often then miss lately. I'm not sure how I feel about that lol.. I really don't think women should feel insulted by it though.

Old 05-13-2017, 10:34 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,455,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquest View Post
I've heard that some women see "ma'am" as a form of address that makes them sound old. To them, I ask two questions-1)What age would you be fine with/expect to be called "ma'am" (and how old would a woman look before you would use "ma'am" on her), and 2)How would you prefer to be addressed if not "ma'am," (and what degree of respect would you show to a woman too young for "ma'am")?
I'm pretty old-fashioned about forms of address, so much so that I find it disconcerting when someone sufficiently senior to me asks to be called by his or her first name. I will, and I respect their right, but deep down I'm very uncomfortable with it. It's not as unpleasant as shaking hands with women, but pretty close.

To me it's simple: anyone old enough to be my parent is Sir or Ma'am or Mr. or Mrs. or Miss or Ms. by default. Young persons young enough to be my children, if they were raised properly, would be calling me Mr. or Sir, but that is simply out of fashion and there is no point fighting against the trend of barbaric over-familiarity; I can't win and will only look bad losing the war, so I don't fight it. I will answer to my first name from a child...in my own good time, if it's convenient for me. Mostly. Maybe. Depends. If the child calls me Mr. or Sir, of course, I somehow notice immediately that he or she has addressed me.

One case in which I'll deliberately address a child as Sir or Ma'am is when the child holds the door for me. This is exceptionally civilized. I will look her in the eye, smile, and say "Thank you, Ma'am." If she is going to behave with the courtesy of an adult, she can be addressed in the respectful terms of an adult.

Old 05-13-2017, 11:16 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,159,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
One case in which I'll deliberately address a child as Sir or Ma'am is when the child holds the door for me. This is exceptionally civilized. I will look her in the eye, smile, and say "Thank you, Ma'am." If she is going to behave with the courtesy of an adult, she can be addressed in the respectful terms of an adult.
Agreed, sir. I do the same thing.

Old 05-13-2017, 11:24 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,159,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
My Step Mom was from the south, I loved How she'd call a Neighbor Miss Sue or Miss Betty. It sounded polite and showed regard.
Adding Miss or Mister before someone's first name is a great way to show respect, especially to a familiar person (like friends' parents or senior saints at church) while still reserving Mr/Mrs/Ms/Miss/Dr (last name) as a more formal manner of address.

Old 05-14-2017, 12:25 AM

2,916 posts, read 2,998,827 times
Started being called sir around 17. I've had people in their mid-to-late 20's call me sir (I'm only 31). It didn't sound like the kind of sir you use to address anyone. It was like they were calling me sir because they perceived my age (probably because of the way I sound) as older than it actually is.

Old 05-14-2017, 02:13 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,593,937 times
Ma'am is a term that's rarely heard this side of the pond, but I used it a lot when I was driving a London taxi, usually to any female from 30 up.
I just asked my wife for her take on it, she said that she's been getting addressed as ma'am in the U.S. since she first started visiting there, when she was 29-31.
She said that she has no objection, it sounds okay to her, and that she prefers it to madam, which is frequently used by sales clerks for example in stores over here, to virtually every female over 21.
She says that it makes her think of "little madam", which is how demanding little girls are known here, the ones who expect everyone to do anything that they want, high maintenance if you will.

Old 05-14-2017, 02:19 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,584,188 times
Being called "Ma'am" bothered me when I was in my 30s and 40s, as it made me feel older than I wanted to. I'm in my early 50s now, and that ship of offense has probably sailed. *sigh*

Seriously, I don't expect it, but it doesn't annoy me anymore, either. I occasionally say "yes Ma'am" to my housemate, who could easily be my mother. Started doing it kind of teasingly, but now it's a bit more sincere.

One thing I find absolutely charming is when children address women they know well as "Miss first name." It strikes the perfect balance of familiarity and good manners, and I love it.

I have never called a man "Sir." The few I have known who insisted upon it turned me off on the practice forever.

Old 05-14-2017, 05:46 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,158,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquest View Post
I've heard that some women see "ma'am" as a form of address that makes them sound old. To them, I ask two questions-1)What age would you be fine with/expect to be called "ma'am" (and how old would a woman look before you would use "ma'am" on her), and 2)How would you prefer to be addressed if not "ma'am," (and what degree of respect would you show to a woman too young for "ma'am")?
If there is a specific group of people you want to fit into, I would suggest observing their interactions. However, if the question of "ma'am" is for the general population, I would work on showing politeness or respect in other ways that can be applied to most people. And then if there is a specific lady, you can ask her what she prefers when she shows an interest in return.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships