Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2017, 08:46 AM

1,065 posts, read 597,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Again, it's not a matter of better manners to use those words, rather it's different manners.
Interesting, my impression is southerners using their manners more often is just different than Northerners, and as such terms as ma'am aren't that big of deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 08:49 AM

11,103 posts, read 9,746,390 times
I think anytime a woman reaches what seems to be an age where being married is a likelihood. "Ma'am", as opposed to "Miss", is the proper form of address for a woman who is married. That's all, nothing more. It's not an insult, it's just good manners. Age has nothing to do with it. Where this thing about "Ma'am" being for older women got started is a mystery to me.

Old 05-16-2017, 08:55 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,447,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middletwin View Post
Interesting, my impression is southerners using their manners more often is just different than Northerners, and as such terms as ma'am aren't that big of deal.

But to "use their manners more often" certainly suggests that others use manners less often. Which, to me, sounds like using those honorifics is showing good manners and not using them is declining to use good manners. With your follow up indicating they just don't care whether they have manners or not.

Old 05-16-2017, 09:02 AM

11,103 posts, read 9,746,390 times
I'd never heard of anyone being offended by ma'am or sir until I read it on City-Data forums. It blows me away that people can be offended by being treated with respect. I was raised in CA and lived my whole life there until 4 years ago. We moved to TN and I've never heard anyone say that this offended them until I read it here. Seems like some people go around looking for something to be offended by.

Old 05-16-2017, 09:14 AM

708 posts, read 720,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Here in the south, it's not considered an offensive term at all.

Folks here use it all the time, for any woman they want to show respect. I love it; ma'am me all day and all night, for all I care.
In the south, lots of people call each other Hon instead of Miss or Ma'am, no ones seems to get upset.

Old 05-16-2017, 09:15 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,447,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I'd never heard of anyone being offended by ma'am or sir until I read it on City-Data forums. It blows me away that people can be offended by being treated with respect. I was raised in CA and lived my whole life there until 4 years ago. We moved to TN and I've never heard anyone say that this offended them until I read it here. Seems like some people go around looking for something to be offended by.
Yeah I don't understand the taking offense when people are simply trying to be respectful in the way they were taught.

Although I will admit that hearing "Miss (firstname)" is like nails on a chalkboard to me. I hate it. But I'm certainly not offended if young children use it. Thankfully it's not the custom where I live.

My gripe is only with the implication (and there is always someone) who posts with clear disdain, that those who were brought up correctly know that using those honorifics if the proper way to address people. And that the only alternative to ma'am or sir is "hey you!".

Old 05-16-2017, 09:48 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,613,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquest View Post
I've heard that some women see "ma'am" as a form of address that makes them sound old. To them, I ask two questions-1)What age would you be fine with/expect to be called "ma'am" (and how old would a woman look before you would use "ma'am" on her), and 2)How would you prefer to be addressed if not "ma'am," (and what degree of respect would you show to a woman too young for "ma'am")?
Don't EVER call me ma'am. I find it rude and condescending. Even when I lived in the South, I never got used to being called ma'am. Quite often it was rudely said. I hear it in the north periodically and it's usually said REALLY rudely.

Old 05-16-2017, 10:19 AM

28,663 posts, read 18,768,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquest View Post
I've heard that some women see "ma'am" as a form of address that makes them sound old. To them, I ask two questions-1)What age would you be fine with/expect to be called "ma'am" (and how old would a woman look before you would use "ma'am" on her), and 2)How would you prefer to be addressed if not "ma'am," (and what degree of respect would you show to a woman too young for "ma'am")?
Age 22, if she's a military officer.

Old 05-16-2017, 10:22 AM

28,663 posts, read 18,768,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Don't EVER call me ma'am. I find it rude and condescending. Even when I lived in the South, I never got used to being called ma'am. Quite often it was rudely said. I hear it in the north periodically and it's usually said REALLY rudely.
If you find it "rude and condescending," it's very likely that you were projecting "quite often rudely said" when it was nothing of the sort, especially in the South.

Old 05-16-2017, 10:36 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,574,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Dear Sir - I find it amusing yet troubling that you find it "rude and condescending" when people are merely trying to be polite.

Have a nice day

Hoot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships