Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 12:36 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,082,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Really? If I had a choice between A) lifting heavy furniture for hours or B) being asked to drive someone to the aiport, well the correct answer is B. Much easier
Even if it meant driving 60 miles to pick up your friend, driving the 60 miles back the airport, and then doing it all again when they returned? What if they had a 6am flight and wanted to be at the airport 2 hours early. Having to drive someone to the airport at 2am would be better then moving for an hour or two?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 12:58 PM

25,429 posts, read 37,233,657 times
Anyone who asks another person to "help him move" should be pitched off the roof. It is the height of rudeness.

"Drive me to the airport" is also rude.

Some things like taking a s**t are best done alone.

I got suckered into ONE "help me move"...it will never happen again.

Old 05-16-2017, 02:11 PM

1,011 posts, read 2,473,053 times
That person isn't a real friend.

I helped a former roommate move into his house before (I think I had previously helped him move into 2 different apartments over the years). I never asked for help moving, but he has helped me with other things in the past (free food from his meal plan while I was in college, etc.).

I volunteered to drive somebody to the airport before when his uncle died unexpectedly (we worked less than 2 miles from the airport). His flight was during the afternoon during a weekday, one of his relatives picked him up from the airport.

However, I didn't like it when other people who never helped me asked for rides to the airport. Last time, a neighbor asked my ex-wife to get me to pick her up from the airport, but there was bait-and-switch on the times, ... From 7 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. at night.

Old 05-16-2017, 04:06 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,709,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Even if it meant driving 60 miles to pick up your friend, driving the 60 miles back the airport, and then doing it all again when they returned? What if they had a 6am flight and wanted to be at the airport 2 hours early. Having to drive someone to the airport at 2am would be better then moving for an hour or two?

Yes, don't get me wrong I think when possible you make your own arrangements to get to the airport.

But if it meant a long drive versus doing heavy lifting(where you could injure yourself) than yes I would do a long drive over that.

Personally I think you hire movers when you move, and should try your best to get to the airport on your own.

Old 05-16-2017, 04:40 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,864,643 times
I solved this problem a long time ago....I simply made it a policy that I do not help anyone move. I hate moving my own stuff and therefore do not move and I always let it be well known how much I hate it. I haven't been asked by anyone to help move in years.

I also never keep score with friends. It is pointless because you are just setting yourself up to be disappointed. I rarely ask anyone for help with anything though, I tend to do it myself or pay someone else to do it for me.

Old 05-16-2017, 04:43 PM

13,981 posts, read 26,027,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I'm pretty sure this was an episode of Seinfeld.
And that's where( one of the places) the previously known, and banned "I'm Retired" gets his thread starters. Honestly, if people would not respond, he would stop posting.

Old 05-16-2017, 06:39 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,645,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Anyone who asks another person to "help him move" should be pitched off the roof. It is the height of rudeness.

"Drive me to the airport" is also rude.

Some things like taking a s**t are best done alone.

I got suckered into ONE "help me move"...it will never happen again.
I stopped asking people to help me move a long time ago. You have to at least buy beer and pizza and the last time a woman got sloshed on vodka and broke things. It isn't even worth it. Just pay someone. Then if something bad happens you're not upset with the friend. And you don't owe anyone anything.

Old 05-16-2017, 06:47 PM

11,134 posts, read 6,723,628 times
Yeah, I've never asked anyone to help move. What an imposition. You can get 2 U-Haul guys to help you for $100 for 2 hours. They had all my heavy stuff out with time to spare.

Ditto for the airport. I've always paid a shuttle service if available. In our rural home though, the airport was 2 hours away and no shuttle or taxis available. You had to rely on friends, pay for their gas and lunch, and at some point return the favor.

I also don't like staying with people. So awkward. Get me a cheap hotel close by!

Old 05-16-2017, 07:26 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,082,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Yeah, I've never asked anyone to help move. What an imposition. You can get 2 U-Haul guys to help you for $100 for 2 hours. They had all my heavy stuff out with time to spare
This is what we always do as well. It has always been $100 well spent.

Old 05-16-2017, 07:33 PM

4,039 posts, read 3,796,822 times
Wow, I must be really lucky... I've had people volunteer to help me move and drive me to the airport. It was really sweet of them and I appreciated it a bunch.

I've learned never to rely on anyone though. I've learned that nobody owes you anything but you don't owe anyone anything either. If you've helped someone and they act like a jerk when you need their help, then you don't owe them your friendship and have permission to dump them out of your life. I had this friend (more like acquaintance) in college who was very rude. She asked me to help her move and me and a few of her friends helped her. We went out to dinner after and she didn't offer to pay for dinner. Okay, broke college student, fine, whatever. But the next few times we hung out after that, I drove us to the mall and she tried to guilt trip me into paying for her meals and drinks. I just stopped answering her calls and deleted her from Facebook after that. I don't owe her anything. Never did. Never saw her as owing me anything either but she was an incredibly rude person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships