Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 11:55 AM

10,512 posts, read 7,105,744 times

Advertisements

I think you should have this song ready to go on the stereo whenever he walks into the house:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZNtcCM3Cvo

Followed by this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2WzocbSd2w
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2017, 12:02 PM

30,716 posts, read 16,359,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
How about kicking him out the door?! Who needs THAT?! He is speaking from ignorance, not knowing your background, but still . . . what he has said is typical of a free-wheeling lifestyle that has no ties to anyone. He just doesn't get it.

Also, you and/or your partner/husband needs to sit down with your "mate" and say, "Look -- WE love children. We lost a child 10 years ago to cancer. I can't even tell you how painful that was, and I'm not going to talk about it now. We then tried to adopt, but it fell through. This pregnancy is a miracle and a blessing to us. For you to sit there and say "Babies are boring" is one of the worst things you can say to us. If you can't be happy for us, then at least SHUT UP."

^^^ this, only instead of shut up, say move out.

Seriously, and the baby issue aside, hasn't he over-stayed his welcome? There's a difference between helping a friend and being a doormat.

Old 05-30-2017, 12:08 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,469,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
^^^ this, only instead of shut up, say move out.

Seriously, and the baby issue aside, hasn't he over-stayed his welcome? There's a difference between helping a friend and being a doormat.
He doesn't live with us. He WOULD if offered, I have no doubt. He just comes over quite a bit. He is "between places" and likes to "hang out" when we are free.

Old 05-30-2017, 12:09 PM

9,444 posts, read 6,613,088 times
In addition to what others have said, he's disrespecting you with these comments. I can see myself saying, "Family and children are very important to us. You know this and yet you are purposely demeaning these things. We won't remain friends if you keep it up."

Old 05-30-2017, 12:14 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,395,755 times
I think your husband should take him aside and tell him of the pain and ordeal you both went through losing a child to cancer and having a failed adoption, and should tell him to never, ever make a negative comment regarding babies, children or pregnancy to either of you again.

Your husband should say it firmly and not get into a discussion about it, just relate the above comment and tell him to drop the entire subject.

Old 05-30-2017, 12:26 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,302,402 times
He sounds like an a--. What did you say in response? What you and your partner what, feel and think is all that matters.

I am surprised after all you've disclosed regarding losing your child and fertility issues and your recent adoption loss...that you'd have patience with someone who is so blatantly ridiculous and negative.

If you allow him to get away with talking like this then you are to blame for allowing this dolt to be any part of your life. What did he say/do when you were attempting to adopt....Are you positive he didn't have an affect on the situation?

Old 05-30-2017, 12:32 PM

2,078 posts, read 2,027,215 times
First I am very sorry for your loss as a mom myself .
I am quite open minded but if someone in that position said that to me after what you have experienced I would never see them again . Period . Seriously for my own sanity I would have to cut them off right then.

You do not need any stress at this time.

Old 05-30-2017, 12:33 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,469,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
He sounds like an a--. What did you say in response? What you and your partner what, feel and think is all that matters.

I am surprised after all you've disclosed regarding losing your child and fertility issues and your recent adoption loss...that you'd have patience with someone who is so blatantly ridiculous and negative.

If you allow him to get away with talking like this then you are to blame for allowing this dolt to be any part of your life. What did he say/do when you were attempting to adopt....Are you positive he didn't have an affect on the situation?
Yes. I am positive he had nothing to do with the adoption. He was not involved in that in any way. We honestly did not share a lot about that situation with him, but he would ask periodically in a very disinterested way. I try not to be too hair trigger about my losses because people who have not experienced them or been close to us generally do not understand such things. This is more of a casual friend who started visiting more after a bad breakup.

When he has commented we say things like "too bad we can't count on you to babysit!" "Well, there goes our imaginary trip to Vegas!" But its only been a short period of time that he has known this and all of the comments were said over two recent visits. I am sure if we are lucky enough to have the pregnancy continue the comments will get more pointed. We need a shut down strategy and there have been some good ideas.

Old 05-30-2017, 12:42 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,691,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post

When he has commented we say things like "too bad we can't count on you to babysit!" "Well, there goes our imaginary trip to Vegas!" But its only been a short period of time that he has known this and all of the comments were said over two recent visits. I am sure if we are lucky enough to have the pregnancy continue the comments will get more pointed. We need a shut down strategy and there have been some good ideas.
You are kinder than I am. He's speaking from ignorance, but lordy, I could not have come back with a light-hearted comment like that. I'd have let him have it, right between the eyes. People like him have no idea how damaging their words can be, they are too busy being cool. YOU DON'T SAY THINGS LIKE THAT TO AN EXPECTANT COUPLE. You just DON'T. It's beyond rude.

Old 05-30-2017, 12:43 PM

16,443 posts, read 12,613,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Address it head on. "Look Buddy, we understand that you're probably nervous that things are going to change around here. And to be honest, things WILL change. We won't be boozing it up anymore, and won't be able to have friends over just to drink. Our priorities are changing, and we're excited about it. You don't have to agree with it, but you do have to respect it. Because this is happening whether you like it or not."

Don't continue to joke around about it. Be serious. Be straightforward. You don't have to fill him in on everything you've been through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships