Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 07:23 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,452,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
If he approaches you, I think you should be honest. Turn it around and ask how he'd feel if you invited him to a party, then expected him to pay hundreds of dollars for the venue, food, drinks, and clothes.
This, exactly. "If she wants to act like a Kartrashian, she can pay for her own party, including my clothes."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2017, 07:27 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 24 days ago)

35,728 posts, read 18,073,030 times
frimpter, we're all dying for an update here. Have you met up with your friend?

Old 06-28-2017, 07:51 AM

8,283 posts, read 8,686,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frimpter928 View Post
So I would never throw a bday party making my guests pay for things. The most I would is BYOB. If you want to party on a boat, coordinate with your friends to rent one out, and everything brings their own thing.

There is a difference of having your bday party in that manner (where people feel obligated to go) and coordinating with others to throw a party like that.

Fundamentally, I just don't understand why he is so angry. Again, if he didn't come to my significant other's bday party, I wouldn't be mad at all. I would be fine with it. I mean it's not like it's their wedding I am saying no to.
But you agreed to pay for the boat.

You paid a large bill for his birthday.

You must be hard up for friends.

I don't know people that do BYOB. If you host you provide.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:10 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,681,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
There are a lot of people who are not completely self-absorbed, who know how to behave in a friendship, and who understand how to be a gracious host. It would probably be a good idea to make some friends like that. This guy sounds like it's all about him and his diva girlfriend. He seems more like an acquaintance, not like a friend who could be counted on.

If I were in your position, I would not continue the friendship with this person, and I would certainly not be concerned about his displeasure. His behavior says a lot about him, none of it good.

^^^^^^^ this. I wonder how long and how well the OP knows this guy? There are acquaintances and there are friends, some people don't know the difference.

I find it amusing that the "friend" and his girlfriend are trying to put on airs, when they're asking their guests to pay for everything.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
This, exactly. "If she wants to act like a Kartrashian, she can pay for her own party, including my clothes."
That's the hysterical part, they want to live like that but don't have the bank account.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:35 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,426,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
frimpter, we're all dying for an update here. Have you met up with your friend?
So no big updates really. My friend texted me saying that he is still angry at me. My response? I literally responded "How was the party?" and then he went off asking me how dare I ask that, and that he is so mad that he doesn't want to tell me what he really thinks as he might say something that he doesn't mean.

I responeded "Go ahead and tell me, I can handle". So he said no, that it's something he would do in person, and then I said "Sure, I am available to meet on the following dates if you want to discuss the matter in person".

Haven't heard back yet......

You know what's so ironic of it all? For 7/9 I got baseball tickets for the Chicago Cubs (I get them for free) and invited him and his GF a while ago to go with me and they don't have to pay (because technically I didn't have to pay). They accepted. Each ticket is worth about $150-200. Again I didn't pay for it, but at the same time I didn't have to invite them either.

So if I don't hear back by Friday from him, I will notify him and that if him and his girlfriend are so upset with me, I rather not go with the game with them and I would imagine they would not want to with me as well. I will replace them just like he told me he would do so for the boat. I am not letting it get to me, but not rolling over for them either.

Last edited by frimpter928; 06-28-2017 at 12:05 PM..

Old 06-28-2017, 10:48 AM

48,581 posts, read 34,987,245 times
Was there ever any prior indication of this guy being.... so sensitive?

We are all piling on the GF, and I'm pretty sure she is a large part of the problem, but your friend is certainly pulling his own weight when it comes to being difficult.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-28-2017, 10:56 AM

8,183 posts, read 6,949,097 times
Quote:
So no big updates really. My friend texted me saying that he is still angry at me. My response? I literally responded "How was the party?" and then he went off asking me how dare I ask that, and that he is so mad that he doesn't want to tell me what he really thinks as he might say something that he doesn't mean.

I responeded "Go ahead and tell me, I can handle". So he said no, that it's something he would do in person, and then I said "Sure, I am available to meet on the following dates if you want to discuss the matter in person".

You know what's so ironic of it all? For 7/9 I got baseball tickets for the Chicago Cubs (I get them for free) and invited him and his GF to go with me and they don't have to pay (because technically I didn't have to pay). They accepted. Each ticket is worth about $150-200. Again I didn't pay for it, but at the same time I didn't have to invite them either.

So if I don't hear back by Friday from him, I will notify him and that if him and his girlfriend are so upset with me, I rather not go with the game with them and I would imagine they would not want to with me as well. I will replace them just like he told me he would do so for the boat. I am not letting it get to me, but not rolling over for them either.
Good for you.
You sound like a good friend to me.
Too bad your friend is having some sort of confusion/delusion at the moment.
Peace to ya.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:59 AM

Quote:

You know what's so ironic of it all? For 7/9 I got baseball tickets for the Chicago Cubs (I get them for free) and invited him and his GF to go with me and they don't have to pay (because technically I didn't have to pay). They accepted. Each ticket is worth about $150-200. Again I didn't pay for it, but at the same time I didn't have to invite them either.

I wouldn't even bother with saying this. Find someone else to take to the game. If he asks about the game than you can say "well you were so angry with me I didn't think it was a good idea to see the two of you for the time being".

Because he sounds like the type that if he did go(just to see the game) he would have a chip on his shoulder and ruin the day.

Old 06-28-2017, 11:05 AM

5,026 posts, read 7,471,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I wouldn't even bother with saying this. Find someone else to take to the game. If he asks about the game than you can say "well you were so angry with me I didn't think it was a good idea to see the two of you for the time being".

Because he sounds like the type that if he did go(just to see the game) he would have a chip on his shoulder and ruin the day.
This OP!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships