Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2017, 07:54 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,327,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Sure it could be and just as easily it could be that he found out his wife was/is having an affair, confronted her, deleted accounts and is now dealing with that and hiding from the world.
and Jazzy may have been unknowingly used as the cover for missing friend's affair and the explanation of who missing person is texting or where missing friend is going. Missing friend would have to make it look legit by at least meeting Jazzy or calling Jazzy sometimes so hubby didn't get suspicious.

That actually happened to me. I had no clue my friend was cheating on her husband and yet I ended up the bad guy somehow and was ignored by both.

Old 07-02-2017, 08:01 AM

1,397 posts, read 1,150,834 times
This thread in many ways makes me sad for where our society has gone. Whatever happened to normal relationships and interactions? It used to be normal to be involved in the lives of friends and to care about them to the point where you'd show concern if they "disappeared". It used to be that the friend who disappeared was the rude and inconsiderate person for ditching a meetup and there would be no excuse for her behavior. Now if you care about someone who stops all communication like this you are a stalker and the crazy one. Quite sad.

Old 07-02-2017, 08:48 AM

153 posts, read 130,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post
This thread in many ways makes me sad for where our society has gone. Whatever happened to normal relationships and interactions? It used to be normal to be involved in the lives of friends and to care about them to the point where you'd show concern if they "disappeared". It used to be that the friend who disappeared was the rude and inconsiderate person for ditching a meetup and there would be no excuse for her behavior. Now if you care about someone who stops all communication like this you are a stalker and the crazy one. Quite sad.
That seems to be the opinion of a few here, but not the majority.

Old 07-02-2017, 08:52 AM

3,126 posts, read 2,083,685 times
Quote:
What has happened in our society that prevents one from visiting a friend at home to check on them? Ghosting is cowardly but so is driving around to spy on a friend's home instead of just knocking on the door. That is what concerned friends in normal relationships used to do.

Old 07-02-2017, 09:20 AM

18,237 posts, read 15,782,819 times
Quote:

Normal relationships and normal interactions were all about sharing time together and using the phone to talk in between and setup plans. Now everything is texting or try to get an update from someone's social media. It hasn't been "normal" for many years.

In the past if someone was worried they would call, bring some food to the house in case the person was ill, and then respect boundaries if the person wanted to be left alone or not be in contact. Now it's contact through technology only and ironically people's communication skills have deteriorated to emoticons or nothing at all.

Imagined scenarios ramp up quickly to a Dateline of the Week story (yes I know the OP had a friend who was murdered a long time ago), followed by a CSI mini-marathon.

Old 07-02-2017, 10:14 AM

2,181 posts, read 1,633,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
What has happened in our society that prevents one from visiting a friend at home to check on them? Ghosting is cowardly but so is driving around to spy on a friend's home instead of just knocking on the door. That is what concerned friends in normal relationships used to do.
l

This was the point I was trying to make before. If you are genuinely concerned for someone that dropped off the face of the earth there is nothing wrong with taking a more quick direct approach. Knock on the door and say you were worried when they didn't show up and just want to know they didn't come to any harm. No explanations have to be required from disappearing friend as long as you know they are OK.

And what is wrong with calling the police? It's a third party whose job it is to find people who may be in trouble. Tell them what you know and then stay out of it.

Old 07-02-2017, 10:58 AM

36 posts, read 25,102 times
Who really knows what happened. It could be that you valued the relationship more than she did. When you parted ways at the other job, perhaps that was supposed to be it.

Life is constantly changing as with people and their needs. You probably was a perfect fit in her life at one point for a specific reason but things change. People change. You did your due diligence going above and beyond. You have your answer.

Old 07-02-2017, 11:02 AM

102,260 posts, read 108,258,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INSOM NNY View Post
You did your due diligence going above and beyond. You have your answer.
What answer is that?

Old 07-02-2017, 11:13 AM

1,020 posts, read 811,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliedeee View Post
Very interesting article. Thanks for posting it. I had no idea what ghosting was either.

I had a cousin in her late 50's do that to me. She found me on FB, insisted we get together..literally jumped for joy and cried when we got together. She told me how thrilled she was to finally find family so we invited her to our barbecue and she came with her boyfriend of 20 years and we all got along really well. We spoke on the phone during the week. We invited her out to dinner paid for by us and she responded saying her and her boyfriend would be there and they never showed up.
I'm sorry you experienced that. It really does suck. It happened to me a few years ago with a newer friend. She was in another state, so we didn't see each other that often, but she travelled to my state frequently & vice versa. We had met up 3 or 4 times already in each others state. She was set to come here for a visit in a few months (tied to a sports event, so I knew she'd be here) & I heard nothing, so I texted her. 3 texts later, no response. I could tell she was still alive from something online. Then her area was hit with a natural disaster, I tried 1 final time to see if she was ok. No response to that text either.

I mourned the relationship & moved on. But my DH & BF (& myself) thought I took it way harder than what I should have based on the level of our friendship. I even cried about it, which they both commented "boy, you're acting like you lost you best friend". It was just hard to deal with b/c although I have a theory, I never found out what the problem was & why she was unwilling to discuss it. You're just left hanging with a million questions & no answers. At least you & I knew the person was still alive though. I don't understand the mindset at all. If someone was concerned for my safety due to a natural disaster, I could never have just ignored them. Plus I'm the type who's always willing to talk out a problem. If I'm pissed at someone, I welcome the opportunity to let them know what's bothering me. But some people are just so terrified of confrontation, they find it easier to disappear.

Anyway, that article helped me understand a little more, why my reaction was so out of proportion to the level of friendship we'd had.

Old 07-02-2017, 11:56 AM

14,824 posts, read 8,160,018 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Normal relationships and normal interactions were all about sharing time together and using the phone to talk in between and setup plans. Now everything is texting or try to get an update from someone's social media. It hasn't been "normal" for many years.

In the past if someone was worried they would call, bring some food to the house in case the person was ill, and then respect boundaries if the person wanted to be left alone or not be in contact. Now it's contact through technology only and ironically people's communication skills have deteriorated to emoticons or nothing at all.

Imagined scenarios ramp up quickly to a Dateline of the Week story (yes I know the OP had a friend who was murdered a long time ago), followed by a CSI mini-marathon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships