Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 03:20 PM

15,599 posts, read 15,727,502 times

Advertisements

I know that my mom would have let me, forever.

You know, it's becoming increasingly common in the last decade, with the stigma lessening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2017, 04:02 PM

46 posts, read 96,881 times
I'm not a parent yet, but I know from me and my brother (its just us two) that my parents didnt care my brother wanted to move out for college, and then straight after college (as in he never moved back home yet). They were even helping him pay for stuff until he got money to not ask them anymore. So far the only thing they still paying for is cell phone for some reason. With me, they are trying to force me to stay home with them for the rest of my life. I do know thats not true since we all have to move out at some point, but somehow they are trying to force me to stay. Its just because they are crazy, not because its "its my daughter so I want to be protective of her" kinda thing.

Old 06-30-2017, 04:09 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,415,706 times
People criticize those who live at home with their parents. But when their parents get old and sick, they will also criticize them for living far away from their parents.

We can't have it both ways, people.

Old 06-30-2017, 06:35 PM

28,697 posts, read 18,866,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I was assuming we are talking about our general North American culture here in the US.
The point is that it's nothing inhuman or unnatural.

In fact, it's only been the last couple of generations--the War generation and the Boomer generation--that it hasn't been common in the US. Up until WWII it was not uncommon for adult children to live with their parents on the farm or over the store until the parents died, then take over the family business.

Old 06-30-2017, 07:09 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,599,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
People criticize those who live at home with their parents. But when their parents get old and sick, they will also criticize them for living far away from their parents.

We can't have it both ways, people.

Actually, on the retirement forum the general consensus seems to be that the elderly parents should be willing to move closer to the children when they need extensive help in later years.

Old 06-30-2017, 07:10 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,759,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I think if you are a parent and your "child" is older than mid 20s and cannot afford living on her/his own for a long period of time or probably ever, you failed as a parent. I am excluding health issues, college, fresh divorce and looking for a new job as they are unplanned emergency situations.

But a normal, healthy mid 20s should generally be mentally and financially able to live on his/her own and should WANT to be out of their parents house and establish their own life.

I have to agree! If there is nothing wrong with the parents (meaning they don't need care) and the child has finished school, has a good job, plus saved money, there is no reason why they should still be living at home. At some point they need to be adults and take care of themselves.

Old 06-30-2017, 07:36 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,599,846 times
I feel it is usually best for young adults to be basically on their own after college. In fact ideally they should live on their own even during college. They learn a lot about themselves, other people, and handling responsibilities on their own during these years. However, anyone who keeps up with the news knows that these "ideals" are increasingly more difficult to meet. College costs can necessitate a student living at home. Many college grads have difficulty finding jobs, even those with "good" majors. Live requires flexibility.

Old 06-30-2017, 08:26 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,891,911 times
[quote=Cida;48686574]I know that my mom would have let me, forever.

You know, it's becoming increasingly common in the last decade, with the stigma lessening.[/QUOTE

Yes

Old 06-30-2017, 08:40 PM

4,641 posts, read 11,959,677 times
I have three kids, all late teens/twenties. They are all legal adults. All still live at home. I'm totally fine with it. They have substantial savings, pay their own bills, pay rent, and help around the house. They are working and finishing college.

We had a big talk about how they are adults and I'm not taking care of them. That means if I feel like cooking, I do. If not, they're on their own. They cannot disrupt my sleep and they can't have sleep overs until they're married. I suppose they'll move out when that becomes an issue. We treat each other respectfully and keep the lines of communication open. Fortunately, we all get along great.

FWIW, we are all big travelers. We do family trips and break off into smaller groups for trips. Between all of us working and traveling, we actually don't spend as much time together as you might think. Maybe that's a good thing.

Old 06-30-2017, 08:47 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,674,335 times
It depends on the kid and the reason for returning home and how respectful they are as a human being.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships