Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 12:58 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,952,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
In this climate, where every man in Hollywood is a molester/pedophile/rapist, I suppose the non-celebs are looking under the bed for their own bogeyman.

Is it possible that the "date" was simply looking to delay parting from an interesting companion? It's also possible that he is a modern-day Jack the Ripper.

In the end, "No means No". The woman did what she felt was the right thing to do. Since we weren't there, (nor was the OP), I'd prefer to hear the story straight from the horse's mouth before deciding if the situation was so threatening as to be reported. To law enforcement.

In the meantime, as "Baron Munchausen" used to say, "Vas you dere, Charlie?"
OMG!! I need to make a correction to my post! The first sentence should have read: "...where every man in Hollywood is being accused of..."

My apologies to the men of Hollywood who are not. Being accused, that is.

Old 11-04-2017, 01:33 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,577,283 times
I never personally had a date actually ask to come in; they all waited to be invited, and to ask after a first date seems out of line. I know a woman, a senior no less, who asked a date in for coffee after a movie date. Well she started the coffee pot in the kitchen and when she returned to the living room the man was standing there nude! You just never know!

Old 11-04-2017, 05:01 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
I never personally had a date actually ask to come in; they all waited to be invited, and to ask after a first date seems out of line. I know a woman, a senior no less, who asked a date in for coffee after a movie date. Well she started the coffee pot in the kitchen and when she returned to the living room the man was standing there nude! You just never know!
Naked Man (move)

Old 11-04-2017, 05:53 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,577,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Hahaha! I didn't know this was a bona fide "technique"! Well my friend was scared to death and ran out screaming!

Old 11-04-2017, 06:04 PM

78,385 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
It's interesting to say the least. lol. I'm in my mid 50's and a widow. just starting to date again. signed up on match.com and having fun but haven't really met anyone who "floats my boat".

you do have to be very careful. I had a meet and great with a guy, coffee at starbucks, very nice conversation. Next day I get a text asking me which weekend worked better for me 8/11 or 8/25. confused I said "better for what"?? he said he wanted to make weekend reservations to a popular beach town and those were his weekend off from work.

WTF!! dude, I just met you, why would you think that I was going to go away with you??? so I tell him, I take things "sloth" slow and really get to know someone. He says "ok" but on second date (which is actually the 1st ) he tries the old "lean in, arm around your shoulders like your yawning" move to kiss me, which I rebuff.

So basically I told him I didn't want to see him anymore as it was evident we had two very different approaches and he said "yeah, you still have too much baggage from your marriage". humm no, I have to much self esteem to hop into bed after meeting some one 1 time. what the heck are you 19!!
Good for you. One piece of advice, I widowed when I was 38, married at 25.

I don't know your story but the "game" has COMPLETELY changed in the last 20-30 years not only socially but due to age.

I would URGE you with your values to angle towards church or religious dating sites. Also be UP FRONT about your physical preferences including not kissing and "sloth like", open honest upfront is the way to go.

The other thing if you got married younger is that the field has completely flipped by our ages. (I'm slightly younger than you currently). Women have the suitors when they are 18-35ish and then by 50+ it's gone to the advantage being for the men. Something important to consider just an fyi. You may not realize how hard dating is on young guys but you're about to find some empathy for them unless you get very lucky. In general, by 50+ the field is definitely tilted towards the guys and it keeps tilting after that.

My best advice is to talk to a gal of similar age that you know that has gone through dating again, they'll help you a lot.

Best of luck.

Old 11-04-2017, 09:45 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

The other thing if you got married younger is that the field has completely flipped by our ages. (I'm slightly younger than you currently). Women have the suitors when they are 18-35ish and then by 50+ it's gone to the advantage being for the men. Something important to consider just an fyi. You may not realize how hard dating is on young guys but you're about to find some empathy for them unless you get very lucky. In general, by 50+ the field is definitely tilted towards the guys and it keeps tilting after that.
Are you saying men who are 50+ get more dates? Are they dating women their own age? Because I don't know any young women who want to date men over the age of 50. Especially if they want to start a family. In fact, some women I know will only date men younger than themselves.

Old 11-04-2017, 10:14 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,073,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Riiiight, that's the oldest trick in the book, to get into a woman's home. As if he couldn't have used the bathroom prior to driving her home.

The fact that he complained, AND said he'd driven a fair distance, as if that entitled him to come in, is a red flag, OP. Not only entitlement issues, but it sounds like potential anger issues in relation to women. You should warn your co-worker friend. And it's not a bad idea at all to tell the pastor, as suggested above. And what's this about he's always been let in after a date before?! Pressure tactics! Who cares who else has let him in? How is that relevant? This is not a gentleman.
This would have been my first thought, too, if he had asked to use the bathroom. And his behavior upon being denied entry was absolutely a red flag. It sounded as if he thought driving so far had earned him privileges she didn't want to give him, and that made him angry. Sorry, but no one is entitled to anything on a first date, or a 10th date, for that matter.

But I don't think I would tell his boss. He didn't act on his anger, didn't try to force himself into her house. He's a jerk and a cad, but that's none of his boss's business. Now if he had not taken no for an answer that would be a different matter...

Old 11-04-2017, 10:33 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janet bubby View Post
Suggesting the man's employer be contacted over this is over the top and inappropriate. No, it isn't different or justified because it's a church.

Also wondering how exactly you feel you "saved her life".
This.

Old 11-05-2017, 12:32 AM

3,252 posts, read 2,337,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
So she went on a date with a man, the date was going well, and he wanted to extend their time together? I don't see what was so horrible about that. Yes, he could have been a by more tactful when asking to come in, but I don't see how that makes him a potential serial killer.

I also don't see why she needs to tell her pastor. How is an awkward date any of his business?
Exactly! Sounds like a bit of a misunderstanding at the end of the date. That's all it was and certainly does NOT warrant telling his boss!

Old 11-05-2017, 01:16 AM

2,678 posts, read 2,099,392 times
OP, you have some interesting thought processes. Because some ministry security guard killed his family that means the choir director is goimg to kill his date if he gets inside her home?
More likely he either wanted to use the toilet or "get to know her better".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships