Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 11:24 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,130,544 times

Advertisements

I'm semi retired from the company but I still go in three days a week . A co worker was telling me that she had a date on Wednesday night and he was the choir director at her church . Well when he dropped her off at her place he asked if he could come in and she told him no . She said he became a lil irritated and said that he had driven a good bit to get to her and he never had not been asked in . I told her that was not normal and she did the right thing by telling him no , who knows what he had in mind ? I told her she should also speak to the pastor of the church where he is employed and let the pastor know what occurred . I mean just because they are employed by a church does not mean they are a saint to put it mildly. For some reason that guy that worked for Joyce Meyer came into my head . The guy who handled security for her ministry at one time , he had killed his wife and two boys . Sad just sad . So I feel like I might have saved her life and I'm glad she told me and I told her so . Is this how men are acting on dates now ? I have been married a long time and I would not relish being single in this day and age at all .

Old 11-03-2017, 12:03 PM

3,989 posts, read 5,023,907 times
The only weird thing is that he complained about driving all that way without being let in...maybe he had to go to the bathroom before he left for home? I don't know - but I do think telling the pastor at the church is over the top. It's not his business what his employee does on his own time. If the guy was rude, ok fine. But he didn't cross the line, he just annoyed your friend. JMO...

Old 11-03-2017, 12:06 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,568,252 times
It's interesting to say the least. lol. I'm in my mid 50's and a widow. just starting to date again. signed up on match.com and having fun but haven't really met anyone who "floats my boat".

you do have to be very careful. I had a meet and great with a guy, coffee at starbucks, very nice conversation. Next day I get a text asking me which weekend worked better for me 8/11 or 8/25. confused I said "better for what"?? he said he wanted to make weekend reservations to a popular beach town and those were his weekend off from work.

[bleep] I just met you, why would you think that I was going to go away with you??? so I tell him, I take things "sloth" slow and really get to know someone. He says "ok" but on second date (which is actually the 1st ) he tries the old "lean in, arm around your shoulders like your yawning" move to kiss me, which I rebuff.

So basically I told him I didn't want to see him anymore as it was evident we had two very different approaches and he said "yeah, you still have too much baggage from your marriage". humm no, I have to much self esteem to hop into bed after meeting some one 1 time. what the heck are you 19!!

Last edited by Miss Blue; 11-08-2017 at 05:44 AM..

Old 11-03-2017, 12:09 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,568,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post
The only weird thing is that he complained about driving all that way without being let in...maybe he had to go to the bathroom before he left for home? I don't know - but I do think telling the pastor at the church is over the top. It's not his business what his employee does on his own time. If the guy was rude, ok fine. But he didn't cross the line, he just annoyed your friend. JMO...
I think it's one of those situations where you have to go with your gut. If someone has to use the bathroom, that's what they usually say.
"can I use the bathroom before I hit the road" not "are you going to invite me in?" and then the line about "never not being asked him" was imo a red flag.

Old 11-03-2017, 12:37 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 24 days ago)

35,722 posts, read 18,073,030 times
I certainly don't think she should go to the pastor with her personal relationship quirks with the choir director. This is how petty church politics get started.

She's a grown woman. If she doesn't like the behavior of this guy, it would be kind of weird to go over his head and rat on him to his boss.

In a secular situation, can you imagine doing that? Dating a co-worker, and if the guy had a weird quirk going and telling his boss?

Old 11-03-2017, 12:46 PM

3,989 posts, read 5,023,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
I think it's one of those situations where you have to go with your gut. If someone has to use the bathroom, that's what they usually say.
"can I use the bathroom before I hit the road" not "are you going to invite me in?" and then the line about "never not being asked him" was imo a red flag.
Agreed - I was sort of reaching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I certainly don't think she should go to the pastor with her personal relationship quirks with the choir director. This is how petty church politics get started.

She's a grown woman. If she doesn't like the behavior of this guy, it would be kind of weird to go over his head and rat on him to his boss.

In a secular situation, can you imagine doing that? Dating a co-worker, and if the guy had a weird quirk going and telling his boss?
That's what I was thinking - whatever she decides to do with the weird guy should remain her business, not the weird guy's boss

Old 11-03-2017, 12:48 PM

16,584 posts, read 10,692,946 times
Given that your coworker and her date both go to the same church, I would assume that they knew each other on at least some level before they went on their date. So she apparently trusted him enough to go out with him, at any rate. Would things have gone wrong if she had invited him in? Maybe. But maybe he was simply enjoying their conversation and wanted to extend it some more before going home. We don't know. Her on-the-scene gut appraisal of this person (with whom she had at least some level of acquaintanceship) is what I would go with. Her gut said, don't invite him in; so that's what was done.

And I apologize if I misread what you wrote, but how exactly did you potentially save your coworker's life? By telling her that you agreed with what she did, after the fact?

As for involving the pastor, I don't think that's warranted at all, at least not by what you've said here. If this guy gets weird on her in the days to come, then I think it would be appropriate for her to involve the pastor, who after all is the spiritual shepherd of the guy in question. But from your description, it sounds like she handled herself fine, and the guy did nothing wrong except maybe get a little annoyed at the time.

Old 11-03-2017, 12:49 PM

359 posts, read 302,755 times
Your coworker was wise to deny the man entry but it's a stretch to report him to the pastor because you think he might be a killer. I'd advise she refuse his future request for a 2nd date should he ask.

Old 11-03-2017, 02:46 PM

359 posts, read 321,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
So I feel like I might have saved her life
Wait, WHAT? How?

Old 11-03-2017, 03:08 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,413,073 times
I have mixed feelings about this.

Yes, the man she had the date with, is ill-mannered and socially clueless. Should it be reported to his employer? That may not be the right thing to do. She has the choice to simply not go out with him anymore, and move on. She was not raped, attacked or assaulted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships