Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 05:27 AM

5,460 posts, read 4,077,522 times

Advertisements

Please let us know how it goes!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2017, 09:15 AM

741 posts, read 591,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvgaskill View Post
Yes, that is EXACTLY what she says. And then she proceeds to describe in detail what she did at the party and what a GREAT time everyone had.

Actually I have been really busy getting ready for the Texas Renaissance Festival and haven't been out of the house or even checked this forum. Some of the replies really had me rolling on the floor. Unfortunately I cannot avoid this woman forever. I will see her tomorrow and will be armed and ready. I so appreciate all the fantastic repys.
Good grief! How old is this person? Not that nastiness has an age limit, but still...

ETA it just occurred to me, do you make costumes for this event or are you an actor/artisan/seller there? Is she perhaps jealous of your talent or your sales or the number of people you know through this festival? Knowing what motivates her nastiness or envy might be useful in shaping your comeback.

Last edited by FairMindedLL; 11-10-2017 at 09:27 AM..

Old 11-10-2017, 10:19 AM

1,517 posts, read 1,669,520 times
When all else fails, a good ole "f*ck you" goes a long way. Say it like you mean it. I bet that'll stop her from bothering you EVER again.

Old 11-10-2017, 10:31 AM

13,261 posts, read 8,055,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Personally?

If the snark was completely obvious to me; I’d be stunned. I know it sounds lame but I’d probably just leave!

I’m only quick-witted enough to out-snark somebody when I’m angry. But a very spiteful comment wouldn’t initially make me angry enough ... it would confuse me & hurt me...

And about 30 minutes later, after stewing on the injustice of it all; I’d think of the PERFECT comeback! And another & another ...

But that’s only if the snark was obvious to me. I’m told I’m a “bad judge of character” & that I don’t recognize jabs for what they are. I honestly feel like random people like me & are nice to me.

Over the years; I’ve had to admit that if I’m always defending people’s actions, maybe everybody else is right. I’m always saying stuff like “No, they weren’t honking at me ... I think they knew the people in the other lane ...” Or “She wasn’t giving me a dirty look! The sun was in her eyes!”

But since nobody’s ever forced the issue, as far as insisting that I respond to their digs; I suppose that it works for me. It makes me wonder how many times I’ve actually waved “back” at someone who really was flipping me off, or said “I love your shoes!” to someone who had just made fun of mine!

This honestly made me smile. I think the way you navigate your life is A-Okay, and I mean that sincerely.

Old 11-10-2017, 10:50 AM

2,283 posts, read 1,680,805 times
Ah, you are in Texas from what I gather.

Respond to The Obnoxious One with a bland smile and a "How nice for you" or even worse, "How perfectly nice for you" and breeze off or continue with your work.

Usually those statements mean the kiss of death in parts of the South, as in if someone cannot stand another person, they say "Well, she is perfectedly nice".

Old 11-10-2017, 12:16 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,076,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvgaskill View Post
I try to be pleasant to all, but there is this one lady that is getting under my skin. We have several acquaintances in common and there are often social gatherings with these other couples that I am not included. She always makes it known that she was invited (but I was not). I don't know how to respond to her constant needling that I am not part of the "in-crowd". I have been holding my tongue and acting like I do not care, but honestly it is starting to wear on me. There is no way to avoid these people and I live in a small town and frankly I don't want her to think she has influenced me.

My question is: what would be a good come back to stop her from being so nasty? I am always at a loss for words when she starts her harping. Thanks
By looking for a 'come back' that continues the ill will. Possibly asking her what's she's planning to wear to the party or asking her any other question about how she's going to relate to the party and just don't dwell on the part about that you weren't invited should show her that you're totally unconcerned that you aren't going. By showing 'interest' in her going to the party she will figure you're her friend and may even ask that you be invited to the next party. Not that you really need her as a friend, but it may lessen her snarkiness eventually.

If it's a small town, you'll be seeing her off and on and everyone knows each other so things work out better if you can maintain civility, even better if you can reach at least on the surface friendliness. Maybe eventually it will work into actual friends? Maybe not, but sidestepping the 'come back' venue set things into a different direction.

Old 11-12-2017, 04:16 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,231,082 times
Keep it simple.

"Why do I need to know this?"

or

"Why do you tell me these things? I am not interested. "

Do not descend to her level. She is a jerk. Don't be like her.

Say your piece, then walk away.

Old 11-20-2017, 12:48 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,926,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Keep it simple.

"Why do I need to know this?"

or

"Why do you tell me these things? I am not interested. "

Do not descend to her level. She is a jerk. Don't be like her.

Say your piece, then walk away.
Ran into something similar yesterday, when I was checking out from an auction at which I got some very nice antique items I really liked and had wanted for a long time, at very good prices. I was absolutely elated.

But then, a woman who was a complete stranger commented on one of my newfound treasures admiringly - and then said, "I told my friend about that one, and both of us think it's a reproduction".

If it was the real thing, I got it for about 1/10 of its value (still not a cheap price). If it was a repro, I'd overpaid considerably. This item was a fine example of something I've collected for a long time and I am quite familiar with its category.

"Why do you think it's a repro.?", I asked. She had no real answer, other than it was too clean for a 100+ year old piece. I pointed out some features which indicated that my item was the real thing - she continued to say she thought it was a repro. or heavily restored- so I walked out, muttering "Joy Killer!" under my breath.

Now, this woman had sat behind me at the auction. I have no idea if she had bid on the item in question - most of the bids seem to be online bids, but I know at least one or two other people physically present were bidding. One sat in front of me - not this woman. Another was somewhere behind me - could have been her. She had already purchased a similar item - not as nice - that definitely was antique, earlier in the afternoon and I had commented pleasantly on it. So maybe she thought that gave her the right to try to deflate my elation later. Or maybe she was just clueless, or well-intentioned but clumsy, or just didn't realize what a downer her comment was.

Or maybe she was just a mean, jealous person. Or needed to brag about her own supposed expertise at the expense of mine.

But if she was envious of my happiness and my purchases and so chose to put them down in order to cast doubt on my judgment and destroy my upbeat mood, well, she did manage to do that. Temporarily, as the item in question is genuine, by all indications - I examined it very thoroughly when I got home and checked reference books about its manufacturer and their products, including this one.

So my doubts were assuaged and my mood lifted - but that comment was so ill-timed and unnecessary. She had sat behind me, and easily could have said something about the item's genuineness or lack thereof prior to my purchasing it.

The auction gallery's online photos of the item were badly lit and not at all good - I had checked it out in person ahead of time, during the inspection, because I couldn't tell from the pictures whether it was the real thing or not.

So perhaps the "friend" relied on those photos, without actually seeing and handling the item. That would be a valid explanation - but the woman herself was present at the auction, and the item was carried through the gallery while bids were taken. I also kept it beside me for another 45 or so minutes afterwards, while I was waiting for something else to come up, before I checked out, so she certainly had a close-up view of it then.

Or maybe the "friend" was just made-up.

All so needless. Jealousy and envy are ugly emotions. Evidently this woman's parents had never taught her "If you can't say anything nice...", etc. Glad she's not an acquaintance, and if I ever see her at an auction again, I'll know to keep far away.

Meanwhile, I am the happy new owner of a beautiful antique item that I will treasure for years to come. I hope writing about this incident will help me move beyond it, and will perhaps help others realize what hurt a careless critical and ill-timed remark can do - not just to those towards whom it is directed, but to the reputation of the speaker.

So if you don't want to be considered rude and envious and jealous and vindictive - say something nice, or keep your mouth shut.

Old 11-20-2017, 12:51 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,448,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
"I told my friend about that one, and both of us think it's a reproduction".
"Well, you're both amateurs."

Old 11-20-2017, 01:08 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,808,222 times
I'd just ignore. Don't spend a lot of time in her company and avoid her.

I find some here on these groups very into themselves and talk about how great they are and they are insecure as I see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships