Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2017, 07:57 PM

6,588 posts, read 4,975,313 times

Advertisements

[quote=Ohiogirl81;50192574]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Not when you're so hungry from hardly having eaten the night before.[/quote[
Well, you certainly can't blame your hosts that you found fault with everything they served the night before. :roll eyes:
Never said I blamed them. Pretty much put it on my husband for not letting me know their "traditional" catered meal, and myself for not bringing backup food. Which, if you remember, I did the following year. You may also remember that I didn't complain one iota to my in-laws.

Quote:
Apparently you're not well acquainted with basic internet etiquette?
'friad I am after being in IT prior to the dawn of the internet. Perhaps you though are not well acquainted with sarcasm?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2017, 08:08 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,862,705 times
These relatives do come off as pretty terrible in the OP's retelling, but you know the old saw about "my version, your version, and the truth."

I do bet dollars to (super cheesy, buttery) donuts the OP manages to make about as many fat comments (oblique or overt) in person as s/he has in this thread.

Old 11-22-2017, 05:02 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,278,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
These relatives do come off as pretty terrible in the OP's retelling, but you know the old saw about "my version, your version, and the truth."

I do bet dollars to (super cheesy, buttery) donuts the OP manages to make about as many fat comments (oblique or overt) in person as s/he has in this thread.
Yep.

Old 11-22-2017, 06:58 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,456,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post

For heavens sake. This is an ad hominem attack. I could list dozens of examples interactions with email transcripts to attempt to deny this but what is the point?

In my family, food issues have lead to weight issues and those apparently led to mobility issues which ALL have an impact on whether or not we will be celebrating this Thanksgiving together. If I just did a thread saying "my relatives want recipes made their way served for dinner but won't bring them" there would be a MILLION questions/accusations about how people "don't act that way" and I am making it up. I try to give context on the front end about these individuals and I am a hater/shamer/body image troll (who is also making it up.)

I am SURE that there is another side to this story, but so far my relatives have not shared it. I got a bit of it when I was told they couldn't walk to the Christmas market. Maybe they really DON'T want to see people they have not interacted with in many years for any number of reasons. Maybe they are still angry about the furniture incident which was the last time they were at my house (and you can pull up that thread and start an attack there if you like because breaking furniture I purchased WITH THEM IN MIND specifically TO MAKE THEM COMFORTABLE also had a weight related component.) Maybe they are having marital problems. Or car trouble. Or money problems. Or maybe they are just being controlling because they have a food addiction and want everyone to eat with them the way they prefer. Who knows. All or none of this could be the case. I can only speak to my side of events if I don't know what is happening with them.

Old 11-22-2017, 09:05 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,518,975 times
^^^ OP jsut ignore those kind of remarks. Shows there is skeltons in their closet.

I had Easter dinner one time with a very heavy family - 3 adults and a child. I never occurred to me what would be served. Silly me, I took a Bakers Square pie figuring that would be the treat.
OMG it was no wonder they were very heavy. And the whole time while I'm eating part of 1 steak in gravy, (they had 3 for each adult, 2 for the 10 year old) They are pushing more food on me, accusing me of not liking what is being served as its massive qantities of eveything, none of it fixed normally with consideration to fats, sugars, etc. . Veggy - was creamed corn, no salad, Oh yeah cheese everywhere they could put it, etc. 2 types of potatoes. Bread galore, I said who else is coming, no one. Everyone had type 2 diabetes, even the 10 year old

Then they brought out a huge candy basket for me (who was in her late 30's). Bigger than I got as a kid! And tried gulting me into opening it and eating part of it. I gave it to a neighbor kid.
A mutual friend from church said, oh we should of warned you.
I thought they did a lot of snacking to get to that size. Another friend said Oh come on! You don't get that big by snacking. How was I to know?

Heck I had a doctor about 12 years ago shame me for putting on 15 lbs, asking me why I wanted to be fat. Lots of stress at that time. Yeah I lost that weight. If a doctors telling me soemthing I'm going to listen.

I did send over a dozen roses as a thank you for the hopitality. OK so shame away!

[quote=WouldLoveTo;50196738]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

'friad I am after being in IT prior to the dawn of the internet. Perhaps you though are not well acquainted with sarcasm?
OH becareful with that word sarcasm - it got me banned for a week. LOL Someone with see through skin must of reported me.

Last edited by foundapeanut; 11-22-2017 at 09:35 AM..

Old 11-22-2017, 09:19 AM

15,251 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
You know, I have string food preferences—not allergies—and I never tell hosts what to fix or how to fix it.
I think string cheese and string beans are both pretty easy to prepare.

Old 11-22-2017, 09:27 AM

15,251 posts, read 12,964,014 times
OP, I joke a lot in these forums. But I can't help thinking about your due date coming up soon, and during the holidays too, which is piling stress upon stress.

Please accept my most sincere wishes for a smooth delivery and a happy, healthy mother and child.

Old 11-22-2017, 10:12 AM

2,894 posts, read 2,452,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
OP, I joke a lot in these forums. But I can't help thinking about your due date coming up soon, and during the holidays too, which is piling stress upon stress.

Please accept my most sincere wishes for a smooth delivery and a happy, healthy mother and child.
Ditto, emotiioo - my very best wishes to you and your family!

Old 11-22-2017, 11:33 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
I had Easter dinner one time with a very heavy family - 3 adults and a child. I never occurred to me what would be served. Silly me, I took a Bakers Square pie figuring that would be the treat.
OMG it was no wonder they were very heavy. And the whole time while I'm eating part of 1 steak in gravy, (they had 3 for each adult, 2 for the 10 year old)
Who the heck could eat 3 steaks for dinner? Even if I ate nothing else, I can barely eat 1 small steak! I have no idea how someone could eat 3.

Old 11-22-2017, 11:52 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,077,558 times
I think you went above and beyond to serve a traditional dinner and have nice options for those with certain dietary needs.

They are being childish and rude. If they want those exact potatoes they should just bring them as a side dish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships