Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2017, 12:41 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,980,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
They are being childish and rude. If they want those exact potatoes they should just bring them as a side dish.
That they aren't willing to do just that makes me suspect the OP is right, and these relatives were hoping to shift the festivities to their house (where they feel most comfortable). I don't entirely blame them for that given the previous collapsing furniture incident, which had to be horribly embarrassing (never mind that is wasn't the OP's fault), but it's an unrealistic hope, and I don't blame the OP in the slightest for just going ahead with the original plans. Let Mr. and Mrs. CheesyPotatoes figure out on their own how to meet up with the visiting relatives from overseas, since they've decided to skip the group holiday dinner because it's not at their house!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2017, 10:41 PM

741 posts, read 590,203 times
So Emotiioo, how did Thanksgiving go? I’m dying to hear all the details. Who shuttled the out of town relatives around? Or did the cheesy mashed potato relatives decide to join you after all?

Old 11-25-2017, 08:09 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,644,169 times
You cant be manipulated unless you give someone permission.

I had a lettuce wedge with blue cheese dressing for my Thanksgiving dinner. Not going to eat carb filled food that would make my insulin spike just to satisfy "heavy" (read: fat) relatives.

I was at one time almost 300 lbs and am not going back there.

Old 11-25-2017, 10:31 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,555,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
No they aren't expecting that. At least I don't think so...

My guess is that they couldn't say no to the gathering we had planned because we had so many people excited about it and visiting from afar. So they found a reason not to come, and wanted me to just say "oh, okay. We will all come over to you." But due to cost and planning (guests staying with us and in hotels near by) its totally inconvenient/impossible to have that happen at this late stage. Judging from the conversation we had, they were just expecting me to agree that they should host the gathering. A Thanksgiving silent coup of sorts.

We have friends as well as relatives coming-- some of the friends have never met these relatives. How weird would it be to just pull up stakes and have everyone head over to their house when they have no prior relationship? Pretty weird. So we are proceeding as planned.
Well, now that you've said they prefer that people come to them, doesn't that make sense on their part after breaking your furniture? And then added on was the other intel there would be activities they could not partake in. How uncomfortable. worried about breaking furniture and being mortified, and having to do nothing while the rest of you do those things.

With the additional intel, I think you should have let them host.

Old 11-25-2017, 03:16 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,769,264 times
Indeed!

Old 11-25-2017, 03:33 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,513,388 times
So the entire family now needs to base every single holiday around how these two people want to always do things? That’s hardly fair is it. Everyone else is expected to be flexible except them?

Old 11-25-2017, 10:02 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,555,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbjen View Post
So the entire family now needs to base every single holiday around how these two people want to always do things? That’s hardly fair is it. Everyone else is expected to be flexible except them?
Well, before the complaint was that he is a bad guest. And with people coming in from overseas? It's the easiest way to accommodate everyone. It's not just about these people, it's about the people coming from so far away and want to see everyone.

Old 11-25-2017, 10:14 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,894,388 times
I consider any allergies when putting together a meal and will make a separate dish for someone if I have to.

I am mostly vegetarian myself and don't expect people making a Thanksgiving dinner to cater to that. Generally, there is plenty for me to eat anyhow--green beans, salad, cranberry sauce, sweet potatoes, regular potatoes, etc. If I'm especially hungry, I might quietly bring along a veggie burger or some other vegetarian main course to supplement what is available but I don't make a big issue of it.

Personally I think that it's really rude to go to someone's home that you have been invited into as a guest and start making demands or complain about the food. If you don't like it, politely eat a small amount and be quiet. Then go eat some food you DO like somewhere else after you leave.

Some people...

Old 11-26-2017, 02:44 AM

1,734 posts, read 1,202,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post

Personally I think that it's really rude to go to someone's home that you have been invited into as a guest and start making demands or complain about the food. If you don't like it, politely eat a small amount and be quiet. Then go eat some food you DO like somewhere else after you leave.

Some people...
If we were all so reasonable, there would be no reason for this thread to exist at all.

But ... whoops!

Old 11-26-2017, 06:21 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,336,268 times
I wonder what ultimately happened
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships