Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 12:58 PM

13,295 posts, read 8,514,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
wow! The mother is abusive and is using the silent treatment to punish, which is considered by professionals to be emotional abuse, and you are advocating the OP placate her abuser.

I am not suggesting the op cut her mother off but just let her mother have her little hissy fit. If the mother calls then the Op can be open to it,but if the mother gets nasty again then a healthy boundary is to state that if the mother is going to be negative and rude it is time to conclude the call. If the mother can't stop being nasty and emotionally abusive and then the healthy thing to do is distance herself. I suggest you stop projecting and realize that not every situation is like yours and not every child played a role in their abuse. In fact the suggestion that a child who has been abused is somehow responsible or played a role in it is deeply offensive and sick.
What I am advocating is the future contains opportunity. For both adults.

I happened to have had varying styles of abuse thru out my life . And thru therapy and yes dare I say it,the ability to change my bitterness into productive relationship. I gained. I'm dearly sorry that you wish to demean my advice. It's thru experience and far more wisdom that I can write this knowing that the OP has a better chance at moving forward when she can come to terms with her past baggage. She can't change others ...she can though set healthy standards .

Be a bit kinder to the writers here. That dismissiveness is unbecoming.No one here is advocating abuse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2017, 01:16 PM

6,322 posts, read 4,232,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
What I am advocating is the future contains opportunity. For both adults.

I happened to have had varying styles of abuse thru out my life . And thru therapy and yes dare I say it,the ability to change my bitterness into productive relationship. I gained. I'm dearly sorry that you wish to demean my advice. It's thru experience and far more wisdom that I can write this knowing that the OP has a better chance at moving forward when she can come to terms with her past baggage. She can't change others ...she can though set healthy standards .

Be a bit kinder to the writers here. That dismissiveness is unbecoming.No one here is advocating abuse.

I was abused and I worked through it and let go of any bitterness but there is no way I woukd ever have a relationship with my abuser. Prison didn't change him, time hasn't changed him,he is still the same manipulative abusive person. If the ops mother is willing to admit she is an abuser, is willing to respect boundaries, is willing to go to therapy great, but until then the op needs to step back and let her mother get over her hissy fit and stop the abusive silent treatment none sense.

If you advocate being kinder to writers here please revisit your own post first. One thing you should never suggest to a victim of child abuse that they played a role in their abuse.

Last edited by Spuggy; 11-23-2017 at 02:16 PM..

Old 11-23-2017, 03:43 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,471,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedelight21 View Post
before moving I just let everything out when I was visiting her.
"Let everything out" : how bad was it?

I think that is the end of it. Your mother won't contact you, because she will wait for your apology.

Old 11-23-2017, 04:01 PM

10,942 posts, read 7,487,487 times
You're describing my mother. I gave up on reconciliation in my 40s; stopped bothering with her at all in my 50s.

You either have to embrace the crummy way she treats you, or put a lot of distance in the relationship.

Bonus: tell her what you think before she dies. I do regret never speaking my mind to mom.

Old 11-23-2017, 06:47 PM

13,295 posts, read 8,514,534 times
Quote:

If you advocate being kinder to writers here please revisit your own post first. One thing you should never suggest to a victim of child abuse that they played a role in their abuse.
Great idea! You are aware that the OP is an adult and did not precisely say which style of abuse. Her statement that it's still going on...Leads me to think it's verbal or condescending. (Kinda like your remarks) Other then her mother being a bit lacking in filtering her opinion. I didn't read abuse of the level that would create charges thru the courts. But like you said...I really shouldn't use my experience as a source of reasoning when a person is in a tiff with a parent. So glad you chose to disengage with your long term abuser.
Let's agree that you are 100% for staying away from an active abuser .

Old 11-23-2017, 10:33 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,294,234 times
Quote:
Great idea! You are aware that the OP is an adult and did not precisely say which style of abuse. Her statement that it's still going on...Leads me to think it's verbal or condescending. (Kinda like your remarks) Other then her mother being a bit lacking in filtering her opinion. I didn't read abuse of the level that would create charges thru the courts. But like you said...I really shouldn't use my experience as a source of reasoning when a person is in a tiff with a parent. So glad you chose to disengage with your long term abuser.
Read the 2nd sentence carefully. The OP was physically abused s a child. Again, why are you advocating reconciliation?

Quote:
I've had a love/hate relationship with my mom for my life so far. I've been verbally and physically abused by her throughout my childhood up until now. She doesn't have friends that visit her or that she visits. Most of my relatives have stopped talking to her. Whenever I did something, my mom would always say the opposite. For example, when I graduated college she said I would never be able to get a master's degree. Now I'm in graduate school and she has said I shouldn't have gone. When I graduated college and I invited my parents to graduation, she made me feel bad for switching majors and not graduating within 4 years (I graduated in 5). Whenever I confronted her about how she treated me, she said it was for my own good because she "cared". I recently moved with my husband to another state and before moving I just let everything out when I was visiting her. I stopped calling her since I've moved. It's been about 2 weeks. I felt bad and called to see how she's doing, but she won't answer my calls or return them. I feel at peace not to hear all the negativity, honestly. Should I just move on or try to make amends?

Old 11-23-2017, 10:48 PM

104 posts, read 97,201 times
Abusers don't change, ever.

I left my toxic mother behind more than 20 years ago and it's the best decision I ever made.

Good luck to you.

Old 11-24-2017, 06:18 AM

6,322 posts, read 4,232,904 times
Quote:
You are aware that the OP is an adult and did not precisely say which style of abuse.
The op stated "I've been verbally and physically abused by her throughout my childhood up until now. "
Her mother is still actively abusing emotionally so yes I'd say op needs to stay away.

Old 11-24-2017, 07:32 AM

7,490 posts, read 4,985,624 times
Quote:
I've had a love/hate relationship with my mom for my life so far. I've been verbally and physically abused by her throughout my childhood up until now. She doesn't have friends that visit her or that she visits. Most of my relatives have stopped talking to her. Whenever I did something, my mom would always say the opposite. For example, when I graduated college she said I would never be able to get a master's degree. Now I'm in graduate school and she has said I shouldn't have gone. When I graduated college and I invited my parents to graduation, she made me feel bad for switching majors and not graduating within 4 years (I graduated in 5). Whenever I confronted her about how she treated me, she said it was for my own good because she "cared". I recently moved with my husband to another state and before moving I just let everything out when I was visiting her. I stopped calling her since I've moved. It's been about 2 weeks. I felt bad and called to see how she's doing, but she won't answer my calls or return them. I feel at peace not to hear all the negativity, honestly. Should I just move on or try to make amends?
Did mom pay for any part of your education, did you ever live at home as a student, did she do anything to support your current life, or did you leave home immediately after high school and do everything on your own such that you are now struggling under insurmountable loan debt?

I'm trying to figure out whether you are an ungrateful child, whether your mom put so much of her life into you that her own social life suffered, or whether your mom is completely anti-social and you truly succeeded in spite of a childhood of abuse.

Old 11-24-2017, 07:33 AM

7,490 posts, read 4,985,624 times
Quote:
The op stated "I've been verbally and physically abused by her throughout my childhood up until now. "
Her mother is still actively abusing emotionally so yes I'd say op needs to stay away.
It's rare that someone raised in a verbally and physically abusive home is not verbally and physically abusive in adult live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships