Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 07:09 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
He wasn't suspicious of her at the time, that's the whole point of his thread! He had no reason to suspect her, but when he came home and found his money gone, he was shaken by the realization that his mom was kind of a klepto. And he remembered another incident, in which, in hindsight, he realized she must have taken the money on that occasion, too. The topic of his thread is how to deal with his disillusionment, having only just now discovered that he can't trust his mom.

Hindsight is 20/20, jeez! He'd been very trusting of his mom, and had no reason to think his money wasn't safe in his own room, in his own (parental) home. To what kid, whether school-age or college-age, would it even occur that their money wouldn't be safe at home? Especially with no siblings around?
It sounds like his mom has been taking money for a while. The OP even says "she takes money here and there, 20 bucks, 100, etc..." This doesn't sound to be a one time thing, it's an ongoing thing. The OP needs to aks his mom why she had the envelope, and start keeping his money somewhere more secure, like a bank account.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2017, 07:36 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,115,136 times
Quote:
Let's not forget that the OP posted this over Christmas weekend. Stores were closed on Monday; his mom wouldn't have had opportunity to spend the money, if she'd intended to. Banks were also closed all weekend. We're talking about him receiving money as a Christmas gift on the weekend, stepping out for a few hours, then returning, to find the money gone, before any opportunity for him to bank the money was available. Today is the first banking day, since the OP received the money.
But an ATM though?

Old 12-26-2017, 07:55 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,140,268 times
It's sad when trust issues like this come up - but it happens.

Go get yourself a bank account. It's not something to "lol" about.

Old 12-26-2017, 08:30 PM

436 posts, read 302,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howshouldifeel9813 View Post
My parents have an interesting dynamic. So my dad has been an *******, but he has good intentions. Just want me to do well in life. Offers to help me when I am in a bind financially (very rare).

My mom is an awesome person in your face, but I am starting to think she is a shady person. Basically she takes my money here and there, 20 bucks, 100 etc... So just this christmas I got 100 bucks given to me by a relative and it was on my desk. Then I leave somewhere and it was gone. I asked my mom where was the envelope on my desk and she says "oh if you want envelopes its in my drawer envelopes worth only a couple of cents" My 100 dollars with the nice envelope was in her drawer lol. I don't know how to feel to be honest. I guess it feels like some people who idolized michael jordan than in reality mj is just a pos human being.

Now one time my dad gave me 500 bucks to help me out with school and my mom brought it to me. I said no I don't need it (i am pretty independent and don't like help), now I am thinking she just took the money herself lol. I hate to think of my mom this way, just mad confusing for me. Like I can't trust anyone not even my own mom.
Yes it is likely your mother has stolen alot of money from you people do not know about. Probably telling your Dad you accepted his $500 you need to talk to him. Please keep your mother out of your finances, she seems to have sticky fingers. And never discuss finances with her. Hide your $$ and never tell her where it is, or leave bank statements around the home. Get a locked box and keep the key outside of the house. If she asks, just keep answering her there is important stuff in there. Then answer NUYA if she keeps asking.

Old 12-26-2017, 10:37 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Did I miss something or did you tell us how old you are?

If you’re out of high school, move.

And...if you are out of HS, do you offer your mom any money to cover your expenses?

If you’re an adult, you should offer. Or ask if she needs you to help out.

Or, you know...move.

Old 12-27-2017, 12:32 AM

436 posts, read 302,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Did I miss something or did you tell us how old you are?

If you’re out of high school, move.

And...if you are out of HS, do you offer your mom any money to cover your expenses?

If you’re an adult, you should offer. Or ask if she needs you to help out.

Or, you know...move.
I agree, wise advice but just ftr, his mothers thieving doesn't excuse not receiving any $$ for rent.

I also suspect his $500 xmas money given to him was kept and the recipient, lied to saying he kept it

Totally deceitful and that needs to be addressed directly in case it occured

I would be devistated as if my other parent handed me $500, they'd at least have gotten a thank you card

Not a lie from my Mom saying she "passed it on" or would "pass it on"

that is usually just the tip of the iceburg

She needs to just politely ask him if he can afford a little $$. Not just take money from him then

tell him she has the right to steal because she "does so much for him"

If he is under-age, or still in high school, he owes her nothing. She is just doing what parents are obligated to do. Care for their children which includes "doing alot for them"

Old 12-27-2017, 05:09 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,063,495 times
Quote:
Growing up means seeing your parents for the flawed human beings that they are. Now that you know how your mom is, hide your money. And the next time your dad, or anyone, gives you money, put it in a savings account, to use after you graduate, to get your own place.

Do you help out around the house?
The hardest commandment.
Honor thy father and thy mother .

Old 12-27-2017, 08:14 AM

2,690 posts, read 1,612,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynaydee View Post
I don't know. I'm thinking if she wanted your money, she would have spent it or put it in the bank, not put it in her drawer. Or hidden it much better, at least.

My mother used to tell us all the time, not to leave valuables or money laying about even though it was only the four of us in the house. If she saw something laying about, she would take it and put it in her jewelry box. Then tell either tell us later that she took it and where it was, or if we asked about it she would tell us, "Go look in my jewelry box on the dresser."

I think you should talk to her and ask her. Maybe she had good intentions. You won't know until you ask. Then you can tell her you would appreciate it if she didn't go in your room and take your things.
What makes your mother's jewelry box a safe place? Probably the first thing a robber would grab would be her jewelry box. This "safe keeping" power control play lacks all logic. Nothing safe about a jewelry box sitting out in the open.

The mother has a lack of respect for OP's personal boundaries. Since this money pilfering has happened several times I would assume nothing was safe in their bedroom, no privacy whatsoever.

OP, just assume your mother goes through everything in your room and behave accordingly, which means keep your money in your wallet and don't leave anything in your room which you want to keep private.

Either have a heart to heart about your privacy and boundary that you would like your room to be off limits to search and seizure, and if you can't agree, time to think about moving out unless OP is still a minor, in which case, time to keep their private items under lock and key or in their wallet. I can think of lots of things a teenager might have that need to be kept private.
I think trust has been broken and even if the mother said she would no longer go through the bedroom searching and sniffing around, not sure I would trust that to be the truth.

Old 12-27-2017, 08:17 AM

317 posts, read 652,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
The hardest commandment.

It does not mean that you have to be a doormat and passively take whatever wrongdoing they do to you no matter what. There is a point where it's best to "honor" them from a safe distance.

Old 12-27-2017, 08:20 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,389,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
The hardest commandment.
I geez don't bring that into it. Seriously and the children who are starved, molested, beaten and need hospitalization, burned for kicks etc. should honor thy mother and father? Surely not

To the OP. I have a lot of very good memories of my mother but she did have sticky fingers. When I lived at home I had hiding spots for my money. As an adult when she visited me I had a keyed lock on my bedroom door. I suspect unresolved mental issues of some sort but never found out what made her "bad" side tick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships