Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 04:35 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,526,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
Well, there's always the Suthrun way: folks older than you but familiar to you were addressed as "Miss (first name)" and men "Mr. (first name)". I remember calling everyone Aunt or Miss.
Perhaps because I was not raised in th e South but I could never keep a straight face and call someone Mr. John or Miss Mary. First name is appropriate, you are both adults.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 04:59 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,471,073 times
Does "Ms. FIRST name" work for you? It's not as formal as Ms. Last name and it's more respectful than first name only.

Old 01-09-2018, 05:09 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,387,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Perhaps because I was not raised in the South but I could never keep a straight face and call someone Mr. John or Miss Mary.
I hear you on that. I am from NY and moved to TN. I volunteer at the library for the children's Summer Reading Program. They all call me Miss Lisa and it is strange to me but I have to say those young kids are the best mannered children I have ever been around.

As for the OP...yeah the girlfriend is an adult. What do your neighbors call you?

Old 01-09-2018, 05:37 AM

1,665 posts, read 974,128 times
My son's fiance calls me "Pop".

My wife has sons from a previous marriage. Th youngest is 17. They at first called me Mr... But I told them my name would be efficient. I didn't like being called Mr personally, I told them it made me feel old lol. But they insisted on not calling me by my first name. They started with Pop, now they call me dad. They'll tell everybody that I'm more of a dad to them than their biological father, and has done more for them and their mom than he's ever done.

So, I've settled with Pop. And the grandson will be calling me Poppy.

Old 01-09-2018, 05:39 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,835,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAVC View Post
They are both in college, and 20 yrs old. I like her, they are a good match. What shall she call me? Addressing me by my first name seems strange to me. We are not friends, we are not the same age, plus, I think of myself as a parent to both of them, so calling me by my first name would take that away from me in a way... Calling me "Mrs. Last Name" is too formal. Any ideas?

I think you are over thinking it. She is an adult, so why shouldn't she call you by your first name ? What name do you call her, I bet by her first name, so why should it be any different ?

When someone calls me "Mr. ......", I always correct them to "Please call me Don".......I am not that stiff or proper. When my sons were dating age, I always had their GF call me Don, even if they tried to call me Mr.

Old 01-09-2018, 06:33 AM

16,418 posts, read 12,499,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
As for me I am easy going and would use my first name. I hate being called Mrs unless it is by a complete stranger. It's so stiff and unfriendly to me.
I agree with this. My parents always insisted that my (former) brother in law refer to them as Mr. & Mrs. Lastname. It made for a very stiff and unfriendly relationship.

On the other hand, my sister called his parents Firstname (her) and Nickname (him), and had a much warmer relationship.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:38 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,101,529 times
For me, it was Mrs. Last Name until we married, then it was what my stepchildren called them, Nana and Granddad.

I think that is a southern thing tho.

Old 01-09-2018, 09:09 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,615 posts, read 17,948,343 times
This is actually a hard question, IMHO. "Mom" isn't appropriate for a girlfriend - but would be appropriate for a wife if they agreed on that name. A girlfriend calling her boyfriend's mother Momis presumptuous and too familiar.

I've tried to get my son's girlfriend to call me by my first name and she just can't do it, so she doesn't call me anything. She calls my husband Mr. Last Name.

Old 01-09-2018, 09:57 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,741,654 times
First name. Barring that, Mrs. So and so.

I can’t inagine what else she WOULD call you.

Madame?

Old 01-09-2018, 09:58 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,741,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
For me, it was Mrs. Last Name until we married, then it was what my stepchildren called them, Nana and Granddad.

I think that is a southern thing tho.
My southern in laws asked me to call them by their first names.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships