Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2018, 07:25 AM

6,294 posts, read 4,191,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juventud Guerrero View Post
I know of two siblings that are very different when it comes to their attitudes towards life and the success they have been able to achieve, despite having virtually the exact same upbringing.

They are just two years apart and the older one has a master's degree and is very highly motivated. The younger one barely finished high school and pretty much lives in the projects.

How common do you think this type of situation is? And is there any real explanation for it? Especially when they virtually had the same upbringing...

My sister and I are polar opposites, as was my mother and her brother. Seems very common from what I've seen.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2018, 07:30 AM

6,294 posts, read 4,191,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
Really interesting articles, thanks for sharing

Old 01-15-2018, 07:58 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,592 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Conjoined twins (used to be called "siamese", these twins are attached to each other) turn out differently. They are identical twins, and they live their lives attached, and they develop different personalities and interests.

So yeah. ;D

Old 01-15-2018, 09:20 AM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times
They aren't the same person to start, then parents don't treat all their kids the same, school experiences are different, relationships with friends are different.

Nature and nurture conspire to create individuals.

Old 01-15-2018, 09:26 AM

19,609 posts, read 12,206,783 times
We are all unique snowflakes.

Some kids are born sociopaths. Imagine being a normal kid having that for a sibling.

Old 01-15-2018, 11:24 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
My sister and I are polar opposites.

She's painfully shy, I'm outgoing, she's a doctor, I faint at the sight of blood, she's tiny, barely 5 feet, I'm 5'8, I could go on and on.

Old 01-15-2018, 11:50 AM

3,071 posts, read 1,994,776 times
In my personal experience, I more often see similarities in close families... physical resemblance, gestures, voices/laugh, commonalities in likes/dislikes/career. That's not to say they're all the same. People in a particular field might have similarities, but be far different in personality & way of life.

There are 7 siblings in my family. Not only is there no physical resemblance whatsoever (different hair/eye colors, drastic height disparities, body types, facial features), we have nothing in common at all in temperament, personality, attitudes, senses of humor... we all even live in different states, from cowtown to uber-urban to small towns. Additionally, none of us physically resemble or have similarities with our parents, either. How did that all happen if from the same gene pool?!

The last time we siblings were all together was in '95, when a pic was taken. Whenever I've shown that pic to anyone, they insist those aren't my siblings, as there's no hint of resemblance between anyone. Why people think I'd fabricate a family is beyond me, but whatever. Maybe it's as none of us live near each other so they think I'm an only child as we don't get together for holidays or weekend BBQs. Also, whenever people have met my mother, they ask if she's my stepmom, as there's no similarity, beginning with she's under 5' & I'm over 5'7" & our facial features couldn't be more opposite.

I'll bet there's 1 of everything, like any other statistic... some resemble each other with nothing in common & vice versa & every other possibility of that gene pool blend or vinegar-water mix. Toss of the coin, those genes.

Old 01-15-2018, 12:43 PM

2,578 posts, read 2,067,004 times
Not long ago - and in front of my mother - my eleven-year-old daughter asked me, "Dad, do you like uncle XXX?"

XXX being my brother.

Like him? I dunno. Admire him? Yes. Appreciate him? Again, I dunno. Really know him? Not really, at least not since we were in our teens, decades ago.

We're brothers, three years apart, the only sibling one another has. But we are nothing alike and have nothing in common, except for being siblings.

Old 01-15-2018, 01:05 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,074,625 times
My brother and I are very different people, with very different interest and talents. However, our values and personal ethics are very similar.

Old 01-15-2018, 01:19 PM

2,199 posts, read 3,356,826 times
My twins are quite different. Sometimes opposites. He was born with red hair (which changed to blonde then light brown), while she was born with black hair (which lightened to medium brown). He’s blue eyed, she’s brown eyed. He’s math/science inclined, she’s into the humanities. He’s extroverted, she’s an introvert. He pushes himself to excel and to gain confidence in life experiences, while she’s fearful and shies away. I can go on and on!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships