Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 02:09 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,179,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxblue100 View Post
I am the punching bag of pretty much all the friend groups I am part of, so I'm used to it. I know they mean no harm. I can't even order at a restaurant without everyone bursting out into laughter. However, they are still good friends so I choose to just roll with it.
I disagree that these people are good friends.

Let me ask you this: if you found yourself in a jam, could you go to any of them for help? Would you be able to trust any of them with a private matter you needed help with?

If the answer to both of these questions is no, then they aren’t friends. They are just guys you know, that you hang with, who like to make you the butt of their jokes.

You should have too much self respect to hang with people who treat you and your life as if it is one big joke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2018, 02:46 PM

8,272 posts, read 8,662,411 times
So you hang out with 7 guys that can't seem to get a date? All 7 are available at the same time? Why would you want to do that?

It's time you moved on in life. Get new friends of both sexes.

Old 02-16-2018, 06:46 PM

820 posts, read 973,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I disagree that these people are good friends.

Let me ask you this: if you found yourself in a jam, could you go to any of them for help? Would you be able to trust any of them with a private matter you needed help with?

If the answer to both of these questions is no, then they aren’t friends. They are just guys you know, that you hang with, who like to make you the butt of their jokes.

You should have too much self respect to hang with people who treat you and your life as if it is one big joke.
I have been in plenty of jams before and they have helped me. And I know I could certainly trust them with any private matter. I don't hang out with them just so I can have friends. I hang out with them because I have fun with them. For example, my great-aunt, who I saw a couple of times a year, passed away in June and they all wanted to know when the wake was, etc, and they were there. And they have helped me out in numerous other instances as well. THEY ARE GOOD FRIENDS.

Old 02-16-2018, 10:05 PM

Quote:
I have been in plenty of jams before and they have helped me. And I know I could certainly trust them with any private matter. I don't hang out with them just so I can have friends. I hang out with them because I have fun with them. For example, my great-aunt, who I saw a couple of times a year, passed away in June and they all wanted to know when the wake was, etc, and they were there. And they have helped me out in numerous other instances as well. THEY ARE GOOD FRIENDS.
If they are such good friends, and I accept that they are because of what you have posted, then why in the world do they constantly make fun of you?

It doesn't make sense.

Joking that a member of a friend group is gay because that member likes to hang with another guy, is just bad taste. And as someone else stated, your gender preference is not a joking matter.

If these people are friends to you, you should be able to tell them to knock it off. And if you are firm enough, they should indeed knock it off.

Old 02-16-2018, 10:38 PM

1,660 posts, read 1,211,288 times
Just tell them that you are in fact gay and ask them if they have anything against gays and if they are homophobic

Old 02-18-2018, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldJTrump View Post
Just tell them that you are in fact gay and ask them if they have anything against gays and if they are homophobic
Bad advice.

Old 02-18-2018, 02:31 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,609,640 times
Quote:
That's worth a lot.

Old 02-19-2018, 11:55 AM

820 posts, read 973,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
That's worth a lot.
It sure is.

Old 02-20-2018, 12:07 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,318,301 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
That's worth a lot.
Quote:
It sure is.
OP, I certainly understand your desire to maintain these friendships and I appreciate that when the 'chips are down' that your friends are there for you but sometimes we have to 'draw a line in the sand' and say enough is enough.

Sorry but as Lady Macbeth said, "things without all remedy should be without regard: what's done, is done".

If these friends continue to taunt you and make remarks which are are hurtful to you there may have to come a time where you have to cool these friendships and consider moving on from them. There is no doubt in my mind that this may seem unthinkable and would be a loss to you but I think your self esteem is far more valuable in light of their hurtful and derogatory comments.

As usual...jmho and best wishes in resolving this however you go about it, sincerely.

Old 02-20-2018, 02:16 PM

16,560 posts, read 10,643,864 times
Does Jake share in the teasing? How does he feel about these "couple" jokes? You might want to ask him sometime when it's just the two of you. If he doesn't like it, the two of you together could ask the other friends to stop. It might have more of an impact if it comes from both of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships