Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 11:57 AM

820 posts, read 973,461 times

Advertisements

This is going to sound like a juvenile story, but I am currently part of an all-male friend group from high school that I hang out with pretty regularly. There are currently 7 of us in the group, and we go out to eat, go bowling, etc. We joke about each other all the time in a non-harmful way, but one of the more uncomfortable jokes going around right now is that one of the members of the group, Jake, and I, are a couple and in love. Neither of the two of us are gay, and the group obviously knows that also, but we live closer together than the rest of the group, so we often hang out outside of the group also, which is where this joke came from. With it being Valentine's Day, this joke is especially rampant right now. We both got a bunch of texts today saying, "Happy Valentine's Day to you two lovebirds!" And, "So where are you guys going for your date tonight?" I like to think I have a pretty thick skin, but this joke is one that I do not appreciate, and while I am not homophobic or anything, I don't like people saying that the 2 of us are a couple, because we are not. I wouldn't want any girls to take that the wrong way either if they heard it. I asked them to stop the joke earlier today, and they said, "Nope. It's Valentine's Day and it's the 21st century. Times have changed. No need to hide your love." At which point I just shut my phone off and took a breather. Not only does this friend group joke about it, but my cousins often do also. We don't even hang out that much outside the group, but being that we live in the same town, we do hang out by ourselves sometimes, usually spontaneously, like coffee or something. Now, am I wrong to be upset by this joke? Should I let loose a little bit and just play along, or would you be upset about a joke like this also? It is clearly harmless, and they understand that we are indeed not a couple, but I do not understand what warranted the joke. And I don't even like people saying that I am in love with another guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2018, 12:29 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,522,693 times
Find new friends who aren't so juvenile?

Old 02-14-2018, 12:46 PM

1,748 posts, read 1,297,139 times
First of all, DON'T play along if you DO mind. Period.

Also, how is Jake taking this?

You CAN tell them to grow the F up and don't take it that just because you're friends means can joke anything about you, or with you. Tell them it'll be the last of your friendship if they ever joke about it again. Be assertive with your boundaries.

Old 02-14-2018, 12:46 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,004,356 times
Are you sure Jake's not gay? There was a similar joke about 2 friends when I was younger, and one of them did turn out to be gay. The other is married with kids and not gay. They are still best friends, though.

Old 02-14-2018, 12:50 PM

714 posts, read 748,174 times
Ask why they are so jealous, or jokingly invite them for a 3-way.

Honestly, If I were you, I'd add fuel to the fire by hanging out with Jake and not them, lol.

Old 02-14-2018, 12:54 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,643,263 times
If I were you, I'd say something like: "Are you hitting on me? I'm creeped out now."

or, "You know, since you are constantly joking about sexuality, I'm beginning to wonder if you are uncertain about your own."

Old 02-14-2018, 01:09 PM

505 posts, read 502,729 times
I don't think you're wrong to be upset about it, especially if you aren't gay. Nobody likes to be told (jokingly or not) something that they aren't.

However, in my experience (as a gay guy in his 20's, so dealing with juvenile people isn't too far in my past), these jokes are made because straight guys think there's something emasculating about being gay and they want to get a rise out of you.

I think the best way to react is just to shrug and say, "you're right, it is the 21st century and there's absolutely nothing wrong with being gay."

To me, it sounds like your "friends" have some insecurities of their own.

Old 02-14-2018, 01:23 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,119,250 times
Tell them to knock it off.

Old 02-14-2018, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
Are you sure Jake's not gay? There was a similar joke about 2 friends when I was younger, and one of them did turn out to be gay. The other is married with kids and not gay. They are still best friends, though.
Oh, I’m sure. He’s never had a girlfriend but has expressed interest in a large number of girls and is very religious as well, so I don’t even think he’d like the idea.

Old 02-14-2018, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softcrunch View Post
First of all, DON'T play along if you DO mind. Period.

Also, how is Jake taking this?

You CAN tell them to grow the F up and don't take it that just because you're friends means can joke anything about you, or with you. Tell them it'll be the last of your friendship if they ever joke about it again. Be assertive with your boundaries.
Jake really doesn’t mind the jokes, but he’s one of those people who is bothered by nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships