Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 11:10 AM

9 posts, read 5,767 times

Advertisements

Hello! I'm seeking some peace of mind, but I realize I may also be inviting criticism. I totally understand either way. My husband and I have lived "between" our families since we got married 8 years ago. They're about 6 hours in each direction. However, we've always talked about moving closer to my family -- a goal that became more important after my youngest brother died suddenly a few years ago. My husband also hates change, so we're just now making the move. He accepted a job and will start soon. This will mean his family will have to drive 9 hours to see us instead of 6, as will we. To me, I see it as added inconvenience but nothing insurmountable. We've been driving 6 hours in both directions for years. Are we horrible to be doing this to them? It's our goal to ensure the kids see their paternal grandparents as much as possible, even meeting in the middle when it works.

I'm glad we're finally making a move we've talked about for a long time, but the guilt over the drive time and "choosing" one side of the family to live near is eating at me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2018, 11:15 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmc28 View Post
Hello! I'm seeking some peace of mind, but I realize I may also be inviting criticism. I totally understand either way. My husband and I have lived "between" our families since we got married 8 years ago. They're about 6 hours in each direction. However, we've always talked about moving closer to my family -- a goal that became more important after my youngest brother died suddenly a few years ago. My husband also hates change, so we're just now making the move. He accepted a job and will start soon. This will mean his family will have to drive 9 hours to see us instead of 6, as will we. To me, I see it as added inconvenience but nothing insurmountable. We've been driving 6 hours in both directions for years. Are we horrible to be doing this to them? It's our goal to ensure the kids see their paternal grandparents as much as possible, even meeting in the middle when it works.

I'm glad we're finally making a move we've talked about for a long time, but the guilt over the drive time and "choosing" one side of the family to live near is eating at me.

NO GUILT, please!

This is your life...you can't live it for others.

As you said, the drive is not insurmountable. Meeting in the middle works...

Good luck in your new place

Old 03-20-2018, 11:20 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
IMHO, once you are married you need to do what is best for your immediate family. Hopefully that works out well for the extended family, too, but you can't worry about them as much as your immediate family.

When our children were young, we lived 3 1/2 to 4 hours from one set of grandparents and 1,000 miles from the other set. Our children grew up being very close to both sets of grandparents. Currently, my grandchildren live 2,000 miles away and I am pretty sure that we are close, too. My other adult child now lives 6,500 miles away from me and we continue to be extremely close.

Times have changed. With Skype, FaceTime, computers, telephones, cars, airplanes you don't have to live next door to your parents for them to be a part of your children's lives.

Old 03-20-2018, 11:43 AM

1,734 posts, read 1,203,549 times
Quote:

Put your mind at ease. As long as you and your husband are in accord about the move, don't borrow trouble. Certainly continue to make every effort to keep your children in touch with both sets of grandparents.

It's a three hour addition in driving distance. You are not moving to the other side of the world.

Old 03-20-2018, 12:37 PM

24,569 posts, read 10,884,023 times
You can still drive and do not need a passport. Check local flights for the kids.

Old 03-20-2018, 12:41 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,010,136 times
Quote:

..and why can't you guys FLY?What's the deal with all this driving?To me, flying would be a better solution to everyone's problem on both sides.No more driving...just fly there.

Old 03-20-2018, 12:46 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,244,243 times
It's 3 extra hours in a car on paved roads, not 3 weeks in a covered wagon dodging volcanoes and gangs of rogue wolverines or rabid bears.

You do what you as a nuclear family decide is best for your nuclear family.

No reason to feel guilty.

Old 03-20-2018, 12:50 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
It's 3 extra hours in a car on paved roads, not 3 weeks in a covered wagon dodging volcanoes and gangs of rogue wolverines or rabid bears.

You do what you as a nuclear family decide is best for your nuclear family.

No reason to feel guilty.

Hee hee...

Old 03-20-2018, 12:54 PM

9 posts, read 5,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Hee hee...
Hahahaha, touché. Thank you for the much-needed perspective.

Old 03-20-2018, 01:17 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codergirl View Post
..and why can't you guys FLY?What's the deal with all this driving?To me, flying would be a better solution to everyone's problem on both sides.No more driving...just fly there.
Because driving a few hours is a hell of a lot cheaper than flying 4+ people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships