Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 06:49 PM

3,550 posts, read 1,550,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Guests came to your home, and you didn't go to the door to greet them; but rather yelled at them from another room?
LOL I had to re-read that. That must have been awkward for them, but I think they should have said hi as soon as you entered the room. Other than that, were they rude the entire time?

I wouldn't go if I didn't really know the person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2018, 07:56 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,515,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
If the wedding couple knows your husband well enough to ask him to be a groomsman at their wedding it is would be very rude NOT to ask his wife to the bridal shower.

Now you can say "No" if you do not want to attend.

BTW, yes, it does sound like they were rude to you when they visited your home.
This. You were invited because they know your husband. That does not obligate you to attend. Send a gift from the registry and be done.

Old 03-27-2018, 01:22 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,592,795 times
Honestly, I am having a hard time sorting out this whole situation, including who is being rude, and why your husband is even going to be in this wedding, as it doesn't sound like he and the groom are particularly close.

It doesn't sound like the couple was particularly gracious when they visited your home, but then again, it doesn't sound like you were either.

Old 03-27-2018, 07:54 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,400,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
If the wedding couple knows your husband well enough to ask him to be a groomsman at their wedding it is would be very rude NOT to ask his wife to the bridal shower.

Now you can say "No" if you do not want to attend. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Guests came to your home, and you didn't go to the door to greet them; but rather yelled at them from another room? And they are the rude ones?
I concur with these two comments.

Old 03-27-2018, 11:12 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,390,475 times
I would go to the shower to chat and socialize, but that's just me. I love any opportunity to get out of the house these days. Maybe they'll have cake too.

Old 03-27-2018, 11:34 AM

9,424 posts, read 11,176,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me 82 View Post
I'm way out of the loop with bridal/wedding showers as I have't been to one in about 10 plus years, and the last family baby shower I had just given birth and didn't attend, but sent a gift. I didn't have one as I lived on my own for many years beforehand, so I guess found it odd expecting one.

Dh has a friend whose wedding he will be in. I do not know this friend other then saying hello to him at our wedding, and recently him and his fiance came to our house and were rather rude. The entire duration of our marriage he lived 5 states away and just moved back this summer. I very loudly said hello about a minute or so after him and his fiance entered, (I was in another room) and they completely ignored me. I then very loudly said guess noone heard me and this friend said "yeah hi" without making eye contact IEven my DH stood there a little stunned.

Anyway, this friend starts texting DH asking him if I'm going to her shower, an invite I never got lol. He then has his sister, or whoever is throwing it, text me the invite saying they had problems with the mail. A few days later the invite pops up in my mailbox. I do not know his fiance, nor will I know a single person there and find it odd I was even invited. It's not like I have any connection to anyone there. DH told me to say no, so I was going to text later I won't be going. Would anyone feel the least but guilty declining this invite or know why I was invited other then for a gift? DH was in another wedding where I hardly knew the bride and I was not invited to the shower nor did I expect an invite.
I not only wouldn't attend but I'd probably send something like a $30 (OK, ten bucks) gift certificate for a hearing aid or hearing exam.

They sound like real dipsticks, I'd question why my spouse wanted to attend after they'd been rude to me.

If my wife were treated as you were, I'd back out and say see ya later. Something's come up.

Old 03-27-2018, 12:53 PM

35,087 posts, read 31,331,023 times
If I didn't know them, I wouldn't go.

Old 03-27-2018, 01:15 PM

723 posts, read 571,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I would go to the shower to chat and socialize, but that's just me. I love any opportunity to get out of the house these days. Maybe they'll have cake too.
Definitely for the cake! LOL

Old 03-27-2018, 01:23 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,989,189 times
My guess is, the fiance didn't invite you because she doesn't know you, and then it became really awkward that her fiance asked your husband if you were going. So the only gracious thing to do, at that point, is to pretend your invite must have gotten lost in the mail and send you another one.

They probably have no real interest in you attending.

And honestly, considering you had met the man only once and never the woman, it's very odd to be shouting greetings at them from another part of the house. If you were truly involved in something that couldn't wait so you couldn't greet them properly, don't keep shouting hello at them. Just greet them when you are able to enter the room. (If you know them very well, that's different and shouting hey guys - I'll be down in a second! would be fine.).

These people are going to be living in your town, and your husband is good friends with the guy. I would think you might want to make an effort here and not start off all insulted.

Old 03-27-2018, 02:47 PM

1,058 posts, read 676,980 times
I don't really like going to social gatherings with people I do know, much less people I don't. Send a gift and say thanks for the invite. At least that way, their are no hard feelings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships