Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 09:23 AM

50,413 posts, read 64,161,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
To reply to some of the questions: I’ve been “in the picture” for over 30 years, so I’m not some new interloper. I don’t think they’ve brought dogs before (perhaps once or twice with well housebroken dogs, which these two were not). My husband was probably more disgusted than I was. I will leave it up to him if he wants to lay the law down for the next visit. I made a pledge to myself and to him before we got married I would not interfere with his relationship with his children and so far I’ve kept that promise.
That is a very sensible approach that has worked well fo a long time. Just have dad ask them nicely to leave the dogs at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2018, 09:31 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,046,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Yes, I believe that the sign first said (under "Service animals welcome") "Pets are not allowed" then below it "Emotional support dogs are not allowed".

This coffee shop does not have waitresses, so to get food/coffee you needed to go inside the actual building to order and wait for your food/coffee. Plus they have open shelves of "self serve" things like cookies, bars and various desserts so I can imagine pets inside could be a real problem. As I mentioned, having five dogs on the small outdoor seating area, all at the same time, was quite surprising.
It might depend on the area, but we had a company dinner at a very high end relationship last week. One person brought a dog. The chef even came out and greeted the dog, so it must have been no problem. I assume every one will just have to jump on board with animals being welcome or stay home. I personally love all animals.Moderator cut: delete

Last edited by Miss Blue; 06-04-2018 at 09:54 AM.. Reason: That personal remark had nothing to do with the op

Old 06-04-2018, 09:59 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,638,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Just about every dog owner I know considers the dog part of the family. So when invited to a family gathering, they naturally bring the dogs. Most of the time they believe the hosts WANT TO SEE the dogs too, especially if children are involved.

Exceptions are made only when someone is allergic or if the dog has problems (poorly housetrained, possibly aggressive).

Deny the dog and you may unwittingly be raising your middle finger at them.
No, sorry. That's not normal. My cat is my family and though I think everyone should be delighted to be in her presence, it's never occurred to me to bring her along with me to someone else's house.

Old 06-04-2018, 10:32 AM

3,221 posts, read 2,449,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
No. No one and nothing should come uninvited to your house. It would be one thing if they asked, but if they just showed up? What is wrong with people

This isn't a new "21st Century thing." Well, bringing random pets with you unannounced sure isn't. Being generally rude and inconsiderate might be a 21st Century thing though.
Well it is family so it is a bit different. I always brought my dog to my mom's or my sisters house when we were visiting all day. I wouldn't bring him to a friends house though. He was a good dog. Slept on my lap while we ate and didn't try and take anything. Now the kiddies though, if they dropped something on the floor it was up for grabs. Better than a vacuum cleaner.

Old 06-04-2018, 10:53 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,968,250 times
Any dog owner with any sort of class ASKS first before just showing up with their dog.
I know one woman who has cats, and she will even say when she invites people to get-togethers "NO DOGS," yet there will still be a few who show up with dogs in tow. Tough... the dogs are not allowed in the house if the weather is inclement because she has 5 cats, the oldest being almost 20.

Old 06-04-2018, 10:59 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,968,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
is there an actual sign that says no emotional support dogs ? they could be sued and most likely they will be just wait .
No, they can't be sued. ESA dogs have no right to public access when it comes to restaurants, coffee shops, grocery stores or other similar types of businesses. Only airline flights and housing that is advertised as being no-pet. ESA are not the equivalent of service dogs, not by a long shot.

Old 06-04-2018, 11:02 AM

6,489 posts, read 6,701,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Any dog owner with any sort of class ASKS first before just showing up with their dog.
I know one woman who has cats, and she will even say when she invites people to get-togethers "NO DOGS," yet there will still be a few who show up with dogs in tow. Tough... the dogs are not allowed in the house if the weather is inclement because she has 5 cats, the oldest being almost 20.
This dog owner disagrees. Someone with class does not ask to bring an animal to someone else's house. Period. Other arrangements for the animal should be made.

All pets should be treated well, of course, but in recent history, the status of dogs has oddly and ridiculously risen. People have all kinds of animals as pets, but dogs seem to be in a class by themselves when it comes to dog owners thinking they can subject anyone and everyone to their pet.

Old 06-04-2018, 11:13 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,609,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I grew up in a rural area where everyone had a dog (or two or three dogs). And, in my entire childhood (1950s/1960s) I can not remember ever seeing anyone bring a dog to someone else's house for a party or a get-together or see a dog in a store. Even in my college days and adulthood, in large cities, where many people that I knew had dogs, not one dog ever attended a cook-out or party or visited someone's house. And, again I never, even once saw a dog (excluding a very few times that I saw a service dog helping someone who was blind) in a store or a restaurant.

But, in the last few years it seems that people expect that they should be able to take their dogs every where. I visited a coffee shop two weeks ago and there were five dogs on the patio. FIVE! I could hardly believe it as there were only about ten people sitting outside. Yesterday I walked by the coffee shop and there was a huge sign on the door, "Service dogs are welcome. Pets are not allowed. Emotional Support dogs are not allowed". Hmmm. I wonder if they had an "incident"?
Most dogs used to stay outside in yards and could be left there all day alone. Now, so many people can't do that or won't do that. I live in a condo. My dog cannot stay here all day alone. If I can't take her with, I can't be gone more than 8 hours ideally.

Goint to visit my parents, who are over an hour away, I usually go for a whole day or an overnight, so the dog goes with and has what is for her an odd experience: banished to the outdoors with the other doggos! She's all ???? at the door.

Old 06-04-2018, 11:15 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,609,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
is there an actual sig that says no emotional support dogs ? they could be sued and most likely they will be just wait .
No, they can't. It says service dogs are allowed, but not ESAs. Service dogs have public access rights, ESAs do not. The sign is correct and legal. Service dogs, yes, pets or ESAs, no.

Old 06-04-2018, 11:17 AM

492 posts, read 632,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post

Dog owners who work leave their dogs "unattended" for several hours every day.

OP, these people were being presumptuous and rude. Rude to bring the dogs, rude to mostly stay outside with the dogs while you were stuck in the kitchen. Reading your post actually made me angry.

I have a dog (my first one, got her in my late 40s, so I'm not a lifelong dog lover, but I love them now). I would NEVER, EVER, NEVER, NEVER (can't stress that enough) bring my dog to someone's house unless that person specifically encouraged me to do so. I would NEVER ask if I could bring our dog, but if the host brought it up and enthusiastically included the dog in the invitation, then MAYBE I would bring her.

There are ways to leave a dog: doggie diapers, piddle pads, doggie door to the back yard, neighbor kid taking dog out for potty breaks, doggie day care place, etc.

If people can figure out a way to be gone all day for work, they can figure out a way to visit someone without bringing their dog.

BTW, I don't bring my dog when I fly home to visit family for a week or two. I use a doggie hotel or find someone on rover.com. Yes, it can cost several hundred dollars but it's my choice to own a dog, and my hosts don't deserve to have my dog forced upon them.
Yes, thank you!

I have relatives that I love with all of my heart and love tho see them as often as possible but they have two small dogs that they bring into my new home and it puts a damper on things. Pee on the carpet and new sofa. We choose not to have a pet...should we have to put up with dog hair and pee and puke just to get to see them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships