Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2018, 08:32 PM

10,375 posts, read 8,017,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
So, its a 40 minute drive in the car to spend 30 minutes visiting and then drive another 40 minutes back home, and if the new puppy ate something and died - oh well, it was just a dumb dog, right? Then we have that elderly dog who we know cant hold it, but you wont mind cleaning up the mess when you get back to him, right? And all this so you can spend 30 minutes dog free visiting with someone. Kk.
You put the puppy in a large crate, or the older dog in an easily-cleaned space like a tiled bathroom or rec room, and then you go on your visit. Take the puppy/older dog for a walk when you get back, and then clean up any messes. It's no big deal. (And who said the visit would be a measly 30 minutes?)

Quote:
Dogs are entitled to be treated humanely or not be owned by people who cant handle the idea.
It may surprise you, but treating a dog humanely doesn't require having it by your side every second of its 14-year lifespan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2018, 08:34 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,264,613 times
Quote:
In our house the dog's were always family. You have a puppy (a baby dog), who cannot be trusted, and an elderly dog that cannot be trusted. Hence, they cannot be left at home alone either, because they cannot be trusted.

What do you do when you want to punish a dog? That's right! You separate it from its pack, and when people take in dogs, the people become the dogs pack.

The dogs are not going to deal well with being on the deck by themselves. As previously mentioned - it's punishment. They will probably howl and bark and whine, and maybe even paw at the screens and scratch the wood doors - which are new, and you would not be happy that in only one visit the dogs did so much damage. I think their owners did the only thing they could without simply saying, "Sorry, we cant come."

Sure, its your house and your rules. If you would rather not have them over, then don't invite them to your house. Know that when you do invite them, wildlife is part of the package.

You wouldn't ask someone to leave a baby or even their teen child home alone. To the dogs, that would be exactly what you are asking their caregivers to do with them. To the dogs, your relatives that took them in and assumed responsibility for them are their family. The dogs wont mind making you family too.
Dogs are not human. Not even remotely comparable.

Old 06-04-2018, 08:35 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,671,076 times
The reason people left their dogs home in days past, is that they were mostly thought of as chattel - people now understand they are sentient beings with physical and emotional needs (physical, need to go outside to relieve themselves every couple of hours - just like me and you) - emotional, dogs are pack animals and it hurts them when the head of the pack abandons them.

As to how to handle this problem - I would just tell them you are not crazy about dogs in the house (don't make it a serious issue) and they are welcome to bring their dogs when the weather's nice and they can attend to them outdoors.

Old 06-04-2018, 08:42 PM

4,004 posts, read 2,089,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
You put the puppy in a large crate, or the older dog in an easily-cleaned space like a tiled bathroom or rec room, and then you go on your visit. Take the puppy/older dog for a walk when you get back, and then clean up any messes. It's no big deal. (And who said the visit would be a measly 30 minutes?)
You said the dog would only be alone a couple of hours. It was already posted that its a 40 minute drive one way. That leaves 30 minutes to visit.

Crating a puppy, maybe? Confining an elderly animal to cold tiled floor. Is it humane to leave old bones to lay on cold tiles? I guess the animals confinement and lack of comfort are not as important as finding an easily cleaned space when you get home?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
It may surprise you, but treating a dog humanely doesn't require having it by your side every second of its 14-year lifespan.
It may surprise you, but I never said that you did have to have the dog by your side every second of its 14 years. It may also surprise you to learn that if the dog loves you, he would want to be by your side every second of his 14 years regardless.

Treating a person or animal humanely requires sympathy and compassion for their situation.

Old 06-04-2018, 08:52 PM

10,375 posts, read 8,017,262 times
Quote:
You said the dog would only be alone a couple of hours. It was already posted that its a 40 minute drive one way.
No, it was posted that it's a 40 mile distance. Depending on the speed limit on the roads taken to get there, the driving time could be anything from 20 minutes to an hour. I figure the total time away could be up to four hours. Dogs can cope with being alone for that length of time.

Quote:
Crating a puppy, maybe? Confining an elderly animal to cold tiled floor. Is it humane to leave old bones to lay on cold tiles?
Sure, just put a comfy blanket pile or dog bed in there for the oldster to lie on. Just make sure it's washable, in case of accidents.

Quote:
It may surprise you, but I never said that you did have to have the dog by your side every second of its 14 years.
Actually that's exactly what you've been saying. You're making it out to be a terrible form of animal abuse if the owner leaves the dog alone for even a short while. Consistently leaving the dog alone for many hours at a time is abusive, but leaving a dog alone for a few hours while you attend to other things (such as your human friends and family) is sometimes necessary and isn't cruel.

Old 06-04-2018, 08:54 PM

1,781 posts, read 1,217,210 times
I have not read all these. . . but the peaceful solution is to have more cookouts so you are outside with dogs and not separated from the visitors. At least sometimes.

Not saying they should bring their dogs everywhere or that you have no right it just struck me if owner and dog will be outside YOU as host could be too.

Old 06-05-2018, 06:23 AM

407 posts, read 371,092 times
Quote:
In our house the dog's were always family. You have a puppy (a baby dog), who cannot be trusted, and an elderly dog that cannot be trusted. Hence, they cannot be left at home alone either, because they cannot be trusted.

What do you do when you want to punish a dog? That's right! You separate it from its pack, and when people take in dogs, the people become the dogs pack.

The dogs are not going to deal well with being on the deck by themselves. As previously mentioned - it's punishment. They will probably howl and bark and whine, and maybe even paw at the screens and scratch the wood doors - which are new, and you would not be happy that in only one visit the dogs did so much damage. I think their owners did the only thing they could without simply saying, "Sorry, we cant come."

Sure, its your house and your rules. If you would rather not have them over, then don't invite them to your house. Know that when you do invite them, wildlife is part of the package.

You wouldn't ask someone to leave a baby or even their teen child home alone. To the dogs, that would be exactly what you are asking their caregivers to do with them. To the dogs, your relatives that took them in and assumed responsibility for them are their family. The dogs wont mind making you family too.
There are plenty of events that kids where kids are not invited. You know what parents do? Make alternative arrangements for child care. I'm sure there are a small subset of parents who just choose never to go to anything without their kids or, in this case, their dogs - fine for them. Just as most do with their kids, find alternative care (if needed) for pets. On average, the majority of dogs are just FINE being home alone for a few hours (even all day). To argue that all dogs must be at your side 24-hours a day for the extent of their life is just ridiculous.

Old 06-05-2018, 06:48 AM

10,505 posts, read 7,071,028 times
Quote:
Anytime I went to the animal shelter to adopt a dog, they always had a sign up - "It's a 14 year commitment". There are people that actually study dogs and their behavior. It is hardly fair to take a dog under your roof and ignore the animal as if you just bought a new curio to display.

Lets say your mom bought a new home and wants you to come see it, but doesn't want you to bring the new baby and your unruly 14 year old son who suffers from tourettes syndrome because they have the potential to make a mess. Do you plan on boarding those damn kids too? There are plenty of good reasons for people not to want a kid in their home, and no good reason for you to bring them. Remember how its good to board your kids, and essentially blackmail not to want to when you answer.
Once again, a child and a dog is in no way equivalent. Nor is a dog and an elderly person with a chronic disease.

But, even if that argument were remotely plausible, that's why there are babysitters and eldercare. Strange how my kids had regular sitters and daycare. They not only survived but turned out to be emotionally well-adjusted adults.

The real problem is likely not with your dog but with you. I don't know what is at work in you deep down, but if you can't go to your job eight hours a day plus commute without your dog riding shotgun, then I really worry about your capacity to function as a human being. I also worry about your dog that is always being dragged with you wherever you go.

Old 06-05-2018, 06:49 AM

10,505 posts, read 7,071,028 times
Quote:
You said the dog would only be alone a couple of hours. It was already posted that its a 40 minute drive one way. That leaves 30 minutes to visit.

Crating a puppy, maybe? Confining an elderly animal to cold tiled floor. Is it humane to leave old bones to lay on cold tiles? I guess the animals confinement and lack of comfort are not as important as finding an easily cleaned space when you get home?
They make these amazing things nowadays called dog beds. My old dog loved his.

Old 06-05-2018, 06:58 AM

13,719 posts, read 12,480,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I would tell them. If they choose not to come, that's on them.
Very true. And OP needs to be well prepared for the fact that they may chose to stay home with their senior citizen dog rather than leave it alone.

Hopefully they would leave the puppy at home, assuming it isn't an all day visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships