Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 09:23 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHNot4Me View Post
May I ask on which forums or sub-forums you have encountered posters you felt you had to block?
Are you sure you don't want their names?

Old 08-06-2018, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
For me, it was someone on the real estate forums. He had such a beef with certain agents that also frequent that forum. I got so sick of seeing this person's bs that I put him on ignore. I never engaged him, always choosing to skip over the posts. Unfortunately he was constantly posting and a page on a thread sometimes had at least half the posts be his.

After ignoring, it was much more pleasant to read over there.

As stated, he has since been removed from the forum.
That was before I was doing any blocking but if I had been he sure would have been a candidate

Old 08-06-2018, 09:29 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,654,555 times
I would never put anyone on "ignore," for a couple of reasons: 1) I don't want to be in denial. 2) From a Process Oriented perspective, all views need to be expressed. 3) If someone pushes my buttons, there is something for me to look at.

There are people I find irritating, but I know I don't have to read their posts or react to them. It's about my self-control. I can't control others.

I know some people have me on "ignore." I just find the whole "ignore" thing amusing and kind of childish. Why give anyone that much power over you?

Old 08-06-2018, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I would never put anyone on "ignore," for a couple of reasons: 1) I don't want to be in denial. 2) From a Process Oriented perspective, all views need to be expressed. 3) If someone pushes my buttons, there is something for me to look at.

There are people I find irritating, but I know I don't have to read their posts or react to them. It's about my self-control. I can't control others.

I know some people have me on "ignore." I just find the whole "ignore" thing amusing and kind of childish. Why give anyone that much power over you?
As I said in my op, and the reason I even posted about it, is that in 'real life' I would avoid people like this and it's usually suggested to others that that is what to do, so why not do it here?

Old 08-06-2018, 09:44 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
I only have two people on "ignore" I put it in quotations because it's not really helpful.

1. Because you still see what they say if another poster (not on your ignore list) quotes them.
2. You can STILL see when they post something, you just have choice on whether or not you want to read it.

So it's not really ignoring. IMO.

I just choose not to respond or speak my piece and keep going.
Exactly. If anything, it actually calls my attention more to the annoying poster.

Old 08-06-2018, 09:46 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,798,566 times
I've never put anybody on the ignore list and I've only reported two posters to a moderator. I think that's pretty good for as long as I've been visiting here. I find most people are nice, yep, even in the political forum. You can't be thinned skinned and post there. Actually, I rather enjoy a good verbal joust. I think it's best not to hold grudges. One irritating post is not what an entire person is all about.

Old 08-06-2018, 10:22 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
For me, I don't like having people on ignore because it disrupts the continuity of discussions. I do however have a mental list of people I won't engage with.
Agreed. I tried to put people on ignore a few times, but all the missed posts in the middle of a discussion got to be annoying, and I'd end up reading them anyway. There are people I just don't engage with, because no good will come of it (though sometimes I have to sit on my hands, it's so tempting.)

Old 08-06-2018, 10:29 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,789,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
The reason I mention this is because then asked myself why I waited so long.
Never would I have done that in real life and when a poster has asked about toxic people, it seems almost unanimous to get them out of your life.
Any insight to why being more lenient on here?
Sheesh I have nine people on my ignore list....If I could include a mod or two, might be happier.

Old 08-06-2018, 10:40 AM

10,900 posts, read 7,393,957 times
I finally figured out how to ignore people, and have one on my list so far.

There are posters that are just so righteous and argumentative that my eyes get tired from rolling. They don't add anything useful to the discussion, just try to make it about their own viewpoint.

Those are the ones who make an ignore list worthwhile. I do wish it were easier to use, though. If more people ignored the trolls, discussions might stay on topic.

Old 08-06-2018, 11:01 AM

3,262 posts, read 5,003,187 times
I just looked at my Ignore list (which I refer to as Iggy) and saw there are 8 names. I think it's a great feature of C-D.

I'm very careful about my mental health, and I refuse to read posts written by people who have proved in the past that their posts upset me.

Yes, everyone is entitled to their opinion. And I'm entitled not to have to read their opinions.

Is this being in denial? Fine. Don't care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships