Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 01:32 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,913,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
What makes me happiest is a television with a sleep function. If a guest room has that, it is the greatest ever.

A comfy bed with a bottom sheet, a top sheet and a blanket as well as two pillows is absolute perfection. A clock in the room is nice. A bedside table where there is an outlet nearby so I can charge my phone and/or computer is great.

Otherwise, I don't need flowers or toiletries or any sort of gift. If I'm staying in someone's home, they're either doing me a favor or I've come to visit them, specifically. If I'm not paying for the room, really, anything beyond a bed or a couch with a pillow is a bonus.

Thanks...she'll definitely have top and bottom sheets and 4 pillows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2018, 01:34 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,740,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Thanks...she'll definitely have top and bottom sheets and 4 pillows.
I used to think a top and bottom sheet would be so obvious that they wouldn't need mentioning. But my in-laws don't believe in top sheets. So it was always weird and always an ordeal to sleep there. We can't do it anymore - we have to go to a hotel if we go to see them.

Old 10-13-2018, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
I used to think a top and bottom sheet would be so obvious that they wouldn't need mentioning. But my in-laws don't believe in top sheets. So it was always weird and always an ordeal to sleep there. We can't do it anymore - we have to go to a hotel if we go to see them.

Oh. Never heard of no top sheet....

People are so weird.

Old 10-13-2018, 01:43 PM

23,431 posts, read 19,057,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
A nice batch of toiletries... in case they forgot something, or nice travel sizes to take with. Nice basket of shampoo, soap, toothbrush and toothpaste, conditioner, lotion, chap stick, and new white washcloths. Nice new towels to use.
Actually I've done the basket of travel size toiletries thing before and several guests thanked me for it. Almost always something used. My guest room is in an area of the house I don't use daily, so I open windows to air it out, dust and vacuum carpet (they'll notice), put a plug-in nightlight out on the bathroom counter for a late night visit while in a strange place. A carafe of water, glass, a couple of easy-read paperback books to help them doze off, magazine picked depending on who the guest is, maybe a local visitor's guide on the bedside table.

Old 10-13-2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Actually I've done the basket of travel size toiletries thing before and several guests thanked me for it. Almost always something used. My guest room is in an area of the house I don't use daily, so I open windows to air it out, dust and vacuum carpet (they'll notice), put a plug-in nightlight out on the bathroom counter for a late night visit while in a strange place. A carafe of water, glass, a couple of easy-read paperback books, magazine picked depending on who the guest is, maybe a local visitor's guide on the bedside table.

Oh yes, cleaned and vacuumed. Windows open too...cool, nice days here now. Plug in night light great idea for the bathroom. Going to put on my linen sheets, best I have...

Thanks

Old 10-13-2018, 02:07 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,925,360 times
I had a guest room and bathroom with it so I'd put the basket of toiletries in the bathroom. I used to add nail polish but I don't know if I would nowadays in case it gets on something.

Maybe something pertaining to your area or to what your plans together are. Or to a favorite thing of your guest. Think of whether they will be gifts or just for info while at your home.

I have found some books at places like Goodwill, perfect condition, on local birds and found one just a couple of days ago on birds further afield published by Smithsonian. I have books on flowers, trees I will leave in the guest room.

How about something regarding her favorite things....a hobby, a collection she's working on, a dream she has that she shared with you.

Old 10-13-2018, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petsandgardens View Post
I had a guest room and bathroom with it so I'd put the basket of toiletries in the bathroom. I used to add nail polish but I don't know if I would nowadays in case it gets on something.

Maybe something pertaining to your area or to what your plans together are. Or to a favorite thing of your guest. Think of whether they will be gifts or just for info while at your home.

I have found some books at places like Goodwill, perfect condition, on local birds and found one just a couple of days ago on birds further afield published by Smithsonian. I have books on flowers, trees I will leave in the guest room.

How about something regarding her favorite things....a hobby, a collection she's working on, a dream she has that she shared with you.
Thanks p&g...

Old 10-13-2018, 02:16 PM

421 posts, read 329,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
My wool rugs can smell like wet cats...even if the cats aren't wet.

I'll use Febreze on them...
i said air freshener not the kind you use on rugs !! duh

Old 10-13-2018, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedmountain View Post
i said air freshener not the kind you use on rugs !! duh

Oops...you did say air freshener.

I use the Febreze for fabrics often so that's what I immediately thought of...

...never buy the air freshener.

What was the skunk odor on at your house??

Old 10-13-2018, 02:45 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,140,992 times
When we have overnight visitors, in the guest room and guest bath I put these items:

Toiletries - travel size shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, mouthwash, etc. I also have generic (not male or female) deodorant/antiperspirant, lotion, bath soap, that sort of thing in the bathroom. Also a curling iron and a blow dryer. And plenty of freshly washed towels and washcloths (not new ones though).

I also have a small drawer in the bathroom that has new, unopened toothbrushes in it, disposable razors, face wipes, baby wipes, clear lip gloss, and a clean brush and comb set (I wash it after guests visit - you never know when someone might need a brush or comb).

In the cabinet, I have all the cleaning supplies they might need while there - cleaner for the tub and tile, Windex, toilet bowl cleaner, paper towels. And plenty of toilet paper.

Night light in the hall as well as in the bathroom. Small clock in the bathroom too.

In the guest room I have a bedside carafe for water. I have lip balm in the night stand drawer. Several different types of chargers. The remote control in plain view, the internet password, an alarm clock with the correct time on it, several magazines and books, including current magazines about local activities or whatever, comfortable pillows of various types (and a few more along with another blanket in the closet). Fresh flowers. I air out the room beforehand, and have the ceiling fan going slowly when they arrive. I make sure that the TV in there is working along with the Roku box too. I show them where the escape ladder and fire extinguisher both are (this is all upstairs). I have a dorm fridge in the walk in closet. It's got bottled water in it. I don't care for Keurigs much but we have one up there, along with some powdered creamer and some sugar and sweetener. I also buy a bag of chips, some nuts, and some granola bars or cookies or whatever and put up there as well.

Also in the closet, I have a laundry basket as well as an iron and ironing board.

I know that's a lot but we really enjoy having guests and I like for them to feel completely at home and as self sufficient as possible - I know that people don't like to ask hosts where things are or if they can borrow something or whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships