Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2018, 01:10 PM

39,239 posts, read 27,629,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by krosser100 View Post
Because it just can't be possible for an Asian in CA to have both parents and grand-parents born in CA, the parents also not able to speak any Asian language. In a place & time where there are PLENTY like this.

Why am I NOT surprised "I do not really understand" has crossed your mind before?
Or maybe the assumption is that you can speak another language because you appear to look Asian.

You can choose to see the worst in others, or choose to see the best in others. The choice is your to make for your own emotional well being. No?

This is a sensitive subject because it is about race and ethnicity. But think of it this way, I say "Thank you for your service" to veterans because I "thought" it was a nice gesture. To me, it is also a conversation starter. Some veterans are offended by it because they don't want to hear it., so now, I just won't say anything to people I don't personally know. It is impossible to please everybody because everybody has different "triggers". Nobody knows what we say or do can rub somebody the wrong way.

I am mixed myself (German, Japanese and I spent several years in China so I can also speak Chinese) and there are a lot of people assume I can speak multiple languages. I do. Maybe when I was younger, speaking another language in public seems "uncool" to me, but now I am older, I am proud that I can speak another language. when I changed the perception about MYSELF, I changed the perception about others. Just another thought.

Just another day, I saw an elderly Asian woman in the mall and she seemed "lost". I asked her if she needed help in English first, she seemed "lost", so I asked her in Chinese and then in Japanese, she acted like she just found a savior. When I was younger, I probably would hide the fact that I can speak both languages, but now I am glad that I did. I can speak German as well, and I would treat a white person exactly the same depends on the situation.

You held the door for a stranger, maybe he thought only the Asians from Asian countries can be this nice. This is another thought. Who knows?

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 11-29-2018 at 01:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2018, 01:18 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,310,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
People have been asking me my ethnicity or trying to guess my country of origin my entire life (I get a wide variety of guesses) and I consider myself white. I assume it is because of my pale skin and nearly black extra-thick hair. Or because I am half-Jewish, look fairly Jewish, and some people are anti-semites so wish to categorize me.

I don't waste any energy worrying about why they ask. People are just curious and a lot of people are also ignorant. I save my outrage for actually insulting comments like the neanderthal that recently made a loud unfunny Jewish joke for everybody to hear in a long Costco line.
Well said

Old 11-29-2018, 01:30 PM

587 posts, read 424,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
You held the door for a stranger, maybe he thought only the Asians from Asian countries can be this nice. This is another thought. Who knows?
Hmm, every time I've been in Asia, NOBODY holds doors for each other (except Japan)

Last edited by krosser100; 11-29-2018 at 01:39 PM..

Old 11-29-2018, 01:33 PM

587 posts, read 424,372 times
Quote:

I am mixed myself (German, Japanese and I spent several years in China so I can also speak Chinese) and there are a lot of people assume I can speak multiple languages. I do. Maybe when I was younger, speaking another language in public seems "uncool" to me, but now I am older, I am proud that I can speak another language. when I changed the perception about MYSELF, I changed the perception about others. Just another thought.
That's great & advantageous you are multi-lingual.

Deep down I really do wish I had that ability too, I'd never consider it "uncool" to speak another language in public if it doesn't cause disruption, that line of thought seems flawed

Old 11-29-2018, 01:38 PM

39,239 posts, read 27,629,646 times
Quote:
That's great & advantageous you are multi-lingual.

Deep down I really do wish I had that ability too, I'd never consider it "uncool" to speak another language in public if it doesn't cause disruption, that line of thought seems flawed
well, the line of thought certainly is flawed. But a lot of people DO feel this way especially when they were YOUNGER.

Bottom line, you are the one who is offended, and you need to figure out the reason why.

I am only saying maybe he thought (assumed) you could speak another language which is awesome, so he wanted to start a conversation with you. Maybe he thought you were nice, and only the Asians from Asian country can be nice (another assumption)

You can think the worst of others, or you can think the best of others. The choice is yours to make.

Happiness Hack: Stop Assuming The Worst In Others

If you only want your feeling to be validated, then fine.

Old 11-29-2018, 02:53 PM

216 posts, read 180,066 times
I was just yesterday in supermarket and saleslady talk to me in English! Maybe because I am caucasian, but English is not even my second language! Did she made a racist comment?

I would expected better from Wholefoods, maybe next time they could speak Swedish at least without assuming anything?

Should I start a GoFundMe or just report to police?

Old 11-29-2018, 02:53 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,722,651 times
Westerners in general have a very difficult understanding of Asian cultures so there's no use being offended or get worked up. The funny thing is that Asian women that are interested in dating outside of their race are not amused or interested by someone who speaks their dialect. A traditional chinese or korean woman is not interested in a white man trying to speak their language.

Old 11-29-2018, 03:07 PM

216 posts, read 180,066 times
Quote:
You don't seem to get the dynamic is different, because of the racial minority context

By joking about it. Which is not very funny.
Is Chinese a minority, 1.386 billion in total.

She assumes guy telling thanks in Chinese and Japanese to be capable of speaking English.

Old 11-29-2018, 03:58 PM

0 posts, read 2,793 times
I have to agree with OP. If I landed in Japan, I would be incredibly insulted if someone assumed I spoke English and actually (gasp!) tried to speak to me in that language.

Old 11-29-2018, 04:43 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,827,302 times
Quote:
op is a man.
OK. You don't think there are a ton of gay white men into Asians? You clearly haven't traveled to south east Asia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships