Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2018, 05:57 PM

587 posts, read 424,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karpo1 View Post
Is Chinese a minority, 1.386 billion in total.
Quote:
I was just yesterday in supermarket and saleslady talk to me in English! Maybe because I am caucasian, but English is not even my second language! Did she made a racist comment?

I would expected better from Wholefoods, maybe next time they could speak Swedish at least without assuming anything?

Should I start a GoFundMe or just report to police?
Say what?! Here's a concept that you may want to look up before your commendable (laughable?) attempt at a put down: "Context"
(And it has nothing to do with the 1.4 billion people in China)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2018, 06:12 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
*sigh* another person who doesn't get it.

I didn't bother reading all the comments but no doubt there were some voicing opinions like yours.

Here's the problem:

White people in the USA (or Canada, Australia or New Zealand) never get asked their ethnicity or language or country of origin unless they have strong accents. People just assume they are American (or Canadian etc).

The USA, Canada, Australia and NZ are New World nations built on immigration. Unlike Germany, Kenya, Japan, India or other Old World nations, they do not have a racial identity, or a link between race and culture. Their cultures are tied to nationality, and nationality alone.

You do not assume a person's nationality by their race in these countries, unless they volunteer such information to you or they are clearly foreign (foreign country passports in their possession, etc.). Race is NOT an indicator of where a person is from, whether white or not.

If you or other "good-intentioned" people want to start asking questions about race/ethnicity, then please do it to white people too. Do it to everyone. There is nothing that bugs me more than a hypocrite. Treat everyone the same way. If you want to be inquisitive in a "well-intentioned" way, do it to everyone, period.
Yup, because otherwise, it sends the message, "You don't belong here", to put it more starkly, for thos4e who don't get it. Or even more to the point, "You don't belong here, but WE do." And that's a can of worms no one should open.

Old 11-29-2018, 06:24 PM

587 posts, read 424,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRyder View Post
I have to agree with OP. If I landed in Japan, I would be incredibly insulted if someone assumed I spoke English and actually (gasp!) tried to speak to me in that language.
I think you were trying to be funny or ironic, but somehow there is no meaning to it

Old 11-29-2018, 07:14 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,143,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Sounds more like a guy with an Asian fetish trying any way he can to strike up a conversation with you
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
op is a man.
The second quoted post is an anti LGBT post. I protest..

Old 11-29-2018, 07:16 PM

39,230 posts, read 27,618,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvana07 View Post
The second quoted post is an anti LGBT post. I protest..
Please do. I can care less.

Pretty funny post by the way.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 11-29-2018 at 07:29 PM..

Old 11-29-2018, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yup, because otherwise, it sends the message, "You don't belong here", to put it more starkly, for thos4e who don't get it. Or even more to the point, "You don't belong here, but WE do." And that's a can of worms no one should open.

well,

Maybe you like to assume the worst of others, I don't. <shrug> The stranger probably don't even know Op gets worked up over his behavior. lol It is amazing that you guys come up with all these assumptions about a total stranger whom you never met, but some of you (general term) refused to acknowledge the possibility that maybe, just maybe the stranger just wanted to start a conversation or simply being nice.

Let's get real, who the hell doesn't understand a simple "thank you" in English. Maybe the stranger wanted to be extra nice and assumed OP was bilingual. Oh, the horror.

Old 11-29-2018, 07:21 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,143,760 times
Quote:
I was just yesterday in supermarket and saleslady talk to me in English! Maybe because I am caucasian, but English is not even my second language! Did she made a racist comment?

I would expected better from Wholefoods, maybe next time they could speak Swedish at least without assuming anything?

Should I start a GoFundMe or just report to police?
In March 2011, in Washington DC, a white dude asked me to click his picture, and then said a word that I did not comprehend.
I later came to know the word was "Gracias", implying that the white dude thought I was Hispanic despite the fact that I am an Asian Indian.

Does anyone have a time machine? I want to go back in time and create a thread on CD whining about this incident.

Old 11-29-2018, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvana07 View Post
In March 2011, in Washington DC, a white dude asked me to click his picture, and then said a word that I did not comprehend.
I later came to know the word was "Gracias", implying that the white dude thought I was Hispanic despite the fact that I am an Asian Indian.

Does anyone have a time machine? I want to go back in time and create a thread on CD whining about this incident.
haha yeah, or create a gofundme page.

Old 11-29-2018, 07:24 PM

216 posts, read 179,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krosser100 View Post
Say what?! Here's a concept that you may want to look up before your commendable (laughable?) attempt at a put down: "Context"
(And it has nothing to do with the 1.4 billion people in China)
You assumed that this man was not Chinese even though he said thank to you in Chinese. Sounds that you are assuming that he is not Chinese just because he did not look like one to you. Maybe better to check you privilege and stop assuming people just based on their looks.

Old 11-29-2018, 08:01 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,388,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krosser100 View Post
Yesterday I held the door for this white man and he said "Xie Xie" (Chinese for thank you) and then when I had no response and no reaction, he said "Arigato" (Japanese)

THEN, when I had no reaction again, he said "Are you Filipino"?!

I said "No I am not and you have been wrong!"
He sounds like one of these people who is so proud of the fact he's traveled to other countries and studied other languages, and he has to rub it in everyone's face that he speaks other languages. Men in particular seem to love traveling to Asian countries and some white males seem almost obsessed with Asian countries and Asians. Asking a total stranger what their race is, is rude, especially when he had not been introduced to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships