Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2019, 08:38 PM

35,071 posts, read 17,014,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4EVCali View Post
We are having difficulty with a singing neighbor.
Our senior cantor and our assistant rabbi live in the same apartment complex, in fact in back to back units. I asked the rabbi if he could hear the cantor singing. He said yes, she sometimes rehearses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2019, 04:15 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Our senior cantor and our assistant rabbi live in the same apartment complex, in fact in back to back units. I asked the rabbi if he could hear the cantor singing. He said yes, she sometimes rehearses.
Which is relevant to the topic at hand...how?

Old 11-01-2019, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Which is relevant to the topic at hand...how?
She's a loud but rather good singer that can apparently be heard with frequency. I'd like her as my neighbor.

Old 11-01-2019, 05:12 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
She's a loud but rather good singer that can apparently be heard with frequency. I'd like her as my neighbor.
Ummm, the topic is about a neighbor who creates a nuisance for, and is belligerent to, the people who live nearby and how to solve the problem. It is not about people who sing; lots of people sing.

Old 11-01-2019, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Ummm, the topic is about a neighbor who creates a nuisance for, and is belligerent to, the people who live nearby and how to solve the problem. It is not about people who sing; lots of people sing.
Thanks for the correction. And the cantor is anything but belligerent.

Old 11-01-2019, 07:53 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
Most noise ordinances are until 7am (in my experience). Check your local ordinances to see if the 7am noise is allowable. I know where I live people start getting noisy around 6, even though the law is 7.

Old 11-01-2019, 01:39 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,787,311 times
Well, I'd suggest checking with the LE regarding "Disturbing the peace" Here's what I dug up...You aren't going to like it...

Most local noise ordinances designate "quiet hours"--for example, from 10 p.m. to 7 a.m. on weekdays and until 8 or 9 a.m. on weekends. So running a power mower may be perfectly acceptable at 10 a.m. on Saturday, but not at 7 a.m. Some universally disturbing sounds are commonly banned or restricted.

So the singing neighbor would be permitted at 7 am.....

Once had a neighbor who drove a car around their property 2.65 acres Until 10 pm and this was close to our chain link fence which was near my Mothers bedroom windows. Called the non emergency number and they said "If they shut it off at 10 pm, no crime"...They'd shut down at 9:50 or so....Luckily we got a great offer to sell. Mom did and we left that area behind.

Old 11-01-2019, 05:32 PM

8,272 posts, read 8,655,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Well, I'd suggest checking with the LE regarding "Disturbing the peace" Here's what I dug up...You aren't going to like it...

Most local noise ordinances designate "quiet hours"--for example, from 10 p.m. to 7 a.m. on weekdays and until 8 or 9 a.m. on weekends. So running a power mower may be perfectly acceptable at 10 a.m. on Saturday, but not at 7 a.m. Some universally disturbing sounds are commonly banned or restricted.

So the singing neighbor would be permitted at 7 am.....

Once had a neighbor who drove a car around their property 2.65 acres Until 10 pm and this was close to our chain link fence which was near my Mothers bedroom windows. Called the non emergency number and they said "If they shut it off at 10 pm, no crime"...They'd shut down at 9:50 or so....Luckily we got a great offer to sell. Mom did and we left that area behind.
Where I live the noise ordinance changes during the year. 6 or 7 depending on the time of year. Usually works out from sunrise to sunset. No noise ordinance for landscapers.

Old 11-02-2019, 08:54 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Your landlord, leasing agent or HOA is who should talking to this man.

He doesn’t have a medical condition, not sure why people assume he does, he’s a singer and he’s practicing. As long as he’s not violating any laws, by laws or lease clauses, he can sing outside of quiet hours.

Now, does that make it ok for him to sing for hours on end?? No, not really. You could try and go the legal route, which takes time and money and maybe leave you where you are. Or, he could be asked to modify his unit to muffle the sound. That should be directed to the powers that be... you already spoke to him and got nowhere. Not much else you can do. Just be thankful it’s not booming bass and rap music

Old 11-02-2019, 09:36 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
The singing in the hallway is not cool.

That's common space, and he should be made to stop immediately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships