Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2019, 07:22 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 10 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,989,189 times

Advertisements

Did you mean Jim Brickman?

I had to google it. I ended up on the song "I See The Moon", and wow. That music is depressing. Not the lyrics, it's the tune and voice.

Beneath the comments are similar to yours, OP. Somehow he's cathartic - listening opens up deep painful memories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2019, 09:03 AM

8,153 posts, read 8,359,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Did you mean Jim Brickman?

I had to google it. I ended up on the song "I See The Moon", and wow. That music is depressing. Not the lyrics, it's the tune and voice.

Beneath the comments are similar to yours, OP. Somehow he's cathartic - listening opens up deep painful memories.

The album Destiny was released in my terrible, tragic year of doing home hospice. I frequently capture the memory of soaking in the bathtub, listening to the tune “Bittersweet,” crying very silently as my sweet husband could finally rest with a round of morphine I’d just administered... after a bitter day of medications, taking him for a walk in a wheelchair, trying to interest him in food, cleaning up his constant sickness, maybe having gone on one of our sometimes 2x daily visits to the ER.... and both Brinkman and Chappell’s piano music soothed us both.

I have been thinking about all this a lot since I saw that Brinkman would be performing on the very same day as the 20th anniversary of my late husband’s death!! I have been so very lucky in that and in this marriage. I was a good wife to my late husband. And perhaps, at this stage of life, I put away the sadness over his absence in my life and appreciate my marriage now. In reverse, I would not want to think my husband “carried a torch” for a former spouse. I don’t believe it is a good idea to discuss this with my husband. I have decided not to go to the performance......

Old 11-22-2019, 11:53 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,168,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
My late husband’s death is something we never discuss. I have always sensed he is a little jealous of that memory because my former husband and I raised our kids together and it too was a really good marriage. Over the years that I have been remarried I go alone about once a year to my late husband’s crypt and have never told my present husband I do this. When the subject of my late husband comes up he gets very quiet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
The album Destiny was released in my terrible, tragic year of doing home hospice. I frequently capture the memory of soaking in the bathtub, listening to the tune “Bittersweet,” crying very silently as my sweet husband could finally rest with a round of morphine I’d just administered... after a bitter day of medications, taking him for a walk in a wheelchair, trying to interest him in food, cleaning up his constant sickness, maybe having gone on one of our sometimes 2x daily visits to the ER.... and both Brinkman and Chappell’s piano music soothed us both.

I have been thinking about all this a lot since I saw that Brinkman would be performing on the very same day as the 20th anniversary of my late husband’s death!! I have been so very lucky in that and in this marriage. I was a good wife to my late husband. And perhaps, at this stage of life, I put away the sadness over his absence in my life and appreciate my marriage now. In reverse, I would not want to think my husband “carried a torch” for a former spouse. I don’t believe it is a good idea to discuss this with my husband. I have decided not to go to the performance......
Thank you for the update.

I am a widow, too. I also know a number of people who married again after their spouse died. To me the love for your late spouse is like love for your children. Just because you loved your firstborn child does not mean that you can't love your second child and additional children just as much. Love just expands your heart. IMHO, you can love all your children and also love your late spouse and your current spouse, all at the same time.

Old 11-22-2019, 12:10 PM

733 posts, read 469,705 times
Germaine, That was beautifully written. And WorldKlas, I think you made the right decision.

Old 11-22-2019, 12:38 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,551,576 times
Your husband should understand and be willing to go with you. Sure, you'll be crying but a good shoulder to lean on wouldn't hurt, would it?
My wife's first husband died almost 40 years ago. Every August, the month he died, I take her to the cemetery to visit him. She doesn't ask me to do this. I know she loves and misses him. I know I wasn't her first love and I wouldn't do anything to stop her from her love for her first husband. I imagine your new husband is probably the same way and would be happy to go with you to the concert. I really like Jim's music too!

Old 11-22-2019, 12:50 PM

35,080 posts, read 17,043,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbeagles View Post
Germaine, That was beautifully written. And WorldKlas, I think you made the right decision.
I can only second you on both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships