Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2019, 01:13 PM

8,153 posts, read 8,357,075 times

Advertisements

When I was 50 years of age my husband was diagnosed with stage 4 melanoma. And between March and January he declined. Ultimately I became his caregiver and he died at home. Most of the time I was home alone with him as the beast overtook his abilities. It was incredibly hard on every level. Helping me a bit was the music of Jim Brinkman. His lullabies soothed my soul during a lonely and sad time. Now 20 years later and happily remarried. Jim Brinkman is going to be performing locally at our concert hall. I know I will cry alot if I see him perform but I really want to go. Alone. I think my husband will be hurt if I go without him. Would you go alone or just not go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2019, 01:33 PM

10,503 posts, read 7,045,926 times
If your husband loves you, he will understand, no matter what you do.

Old 11-20-2019, 01:47 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,010,399 times
I would go ALONE and tell the current husband why I wish to do so.

Old 11-20-2019, 01:57 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,684,449 times
Is your husband a huge fan of Jim Brinkman like you are?
If you are, then maybe it wouldn't be fair to leave him out if he can go.
Brinkman is probably playing in multiple places. So, maybe you could travel further/closer to a place by yourself if you need to make a trade off of some sort and then go with him to another concert of his.

Old 11-20-2019, 02:02 PM

6,308 posts, read 4,201,329 times
Hopefully your new husband will understand, respect and support why you want to go alone.

If I was in your position I’d want to go alone .

Old 11-20-2019, 02:04 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,865,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
When I was 50 years of age my husband was diagnosed with stage 4 melanoma. And between March and January he declined. Ultimately I became his caregiver and he died at home. Most of the time I was home alone with him as the beast overtook his abilities. It was incredibly hard on every level. Helping me a bit was the music of Jim Brinkman. His lullabies soothed my soul during a lonely and sad time. Now 20 years later and happily remarried. Jim Brinkman is going to be performing locally at our concert hall. I know I will cry alot if I see him perform but I really want to go. Alone. I think my husband will be hurt if I go without him. Would you go alone or just not go?
Have you talked to your husband about this? Why its important to you? You think he'll be hurt? Sounds like you don't actually know? Give him the opportunity to be understanding and gracious. What's going to matter to him is valid too. It could be a complete non-issue once you two talk it over.

Old 11-20-2019, 02:05 PM

130,418 posts, read 12,118,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
Hopefully your new husband will understand, respect and support why you want to go alone.

If I was in your position I’d want to go alone .
My thoughts too.

Old 11-20-2019, 02:15 PM

8,153 posts, read 8,357,075 times
My late husband’s death is something we never discuss. I have always sensed he is a little jealous of that memory because my former husband and I raised our kids together and it too was a really good marriage. Over the years that I have been remarried I go alone about once a year to my late husband’s crypt and have never told my present husband I do this. When the subject of my late husband comes up he gets very quiet.

Old 11-20-2019, 02:21 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,102,386 times
Quote:
Aww. You're so sweet.

I would go alone just because that's kind of your moment.

Old 11-20-2019, 02:28 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,865,187 times
Quote:
My late husband’s death is something we never discuss. I have always sensed he is a little jealous of that memory because my former husband and I raised our kids together and it too was a really good marriage. Over the years that I have been remarried I go alone about once a year to my late husband’s crypt and have never told my present husband about I do this. When the subject of my late husband comes up he gets very quiet.
Then it sounds even more important to be up front about this. Harboring resentment/jealousy over something no one can change is something he needs to deal with. The upcoming concert could be your opportunity to clear the air. You don't want to be secretive or dismissive; you want to respect him too. Make sure he knows. My usual default is to clarify, be honest, not hide and build all sorts of schemes I have to uphold forever afterward. Seems more respectful. Better an initial uncomfortable moment of honesty than avoiding that moment and being anxious/guilty for years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships