Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2019, 01:00 PM

15,973 posts, read 7,036,148 times

Advertisements

While relationships - family and friends - are the most rewarding they are also the source of greatest pain.
I love my adult kids and their kids, they give me great joy. But they have also given me the deepest pain, the harshest words. But their relationship is very important to my life.
My siblings - they are my history. And it is wonderful when I talk to them, see them, spend time with them. But there also a lot of friction, cruelty, meanness, unforgiving hurt.

Friends - we love them. But they vanish from our lives, lose contact, or turn sour. So hard to deal with it.

What do you do keep relationships fresh and good?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2019, 01:31 PM

699 posts, read 1,015,294 times
When my expectation of others is high, my peace and serenity is low....and when my expectations are low, then my peace and serenity is high so I try to expect nothing of others, accept people exactly as they are, and hope they’ll do the same for me.

Also I would much rather be happy than right.

Old 11-29-2019, 01:43 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,865,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
While relationships - family and friends - are the most rewarding they are also the source of greatest pain.
I love my adult kids and their kids, they give me great joy. But they have also given me the deepest pain, the harshest words. But their relationship is very important to my life.
My siblings - they are my history. And it is wonderful when I talk to them, see them, spend time with them. But there also a lot of friction, cruelty, meanness, unforgiving hurt.

Friends - we love them. But they vanish from our lives, lose contact, or turn sour. So hard to deal with it.

Part of it is the amount of value you place on the other person. If you value them highly (a dear friend, family, etc), the reward you receive from them and the cost of things they say or do is higher. You've invested a lot more effort in those people. If you don't value that other person as much you can dismiss what they say or do more easily.

They also know you better inside and out and vice versa. That means you can love them in a much more intense way. Unfortunately, it also means they can hurt you more deeply because they know how.

How to keep a relationship "good"?

Pay attention.
Be kindly honest.
Expose more of yourself.
Be genuine.
Forgive.

Last edited by Parnassia; 11-29-2019 at 02:00 PM..

Old 11-29-2019, 01:55 PM

9,366 posts, read 14,316,531 times
Quote:

Why are relationships so hard?
Because human beings are extremely complex organisms, each one is unique, and only in the rarest of simplifying circumstances is it possible to make all those moving parts mesh harmoniously.

Quote:
What does "good" mean?

Personally I try to say as little as possible and be as courteous, polite and functional as possible as required by law and social obligation.

Old 11-29-2019, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelotus View Post
When my expectation of others is high, my peace and serenity is low....and when my expectations are low, then my peace and serenity is high so I try to expect nothing of others, accept people exactly as they are, and hope they’ll do the same for me.

That is a wonderful post and true. Thank you.

Old 11-29-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Because human beings are extremely complex organisms, each one is unique, and only in the rarest of simplifying circumstances is it possible to make all those moving parts mesh harmoniously.

What does "good" mean?

Personally I try to say as little as possible and be as courteous, polite and functional as possible as required by law and social obligation.
Ok. So are these relationships rewarding, add joy to your life? Or you don’t expect that and therefore not disappointed either? Does this make you content or leave you sensing something is missing?

Old 11-29-2019, 03:31 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,448,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelotus View Post

This. I don't expect a lot from those around me other than basic deceny. I follow strict rules when dealing with others.
We don't live in a society where you can expect much.

Old 11-29-2019, 04:23 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Because they involve other people.

Old 11-29-2019, 04:25 PM

9,366 posts, read 14,316,531 times
Quote:
Ok. So are these relationships rewarding, add joy to your life? Or you don’t expect that and therefore not disappointed either? Does this make you content or leave you sensing something is missing?
I experience joy mainly in my own consciousness.

I have low expectations from relations with other human beings, though sometimes they are a source of joy.

I do not sense that anything is missing; by my measure, one's own consciousness is as expansive and joyful as the universe.

All the best!

Old 11-29-2019, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
I experience joy mainly in my own consciousness.

I have low expectations from relations with other human beings, though sometimes they are a source of joy.

I do not sense that anything is missing; by my measure, one's own consciousness is as expansive and joyful as the universe.

All the best!
Beautiful. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships