Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2019, 03:25 PM

3 posts, read 2,154 times

Advertisements

Hi,

May i ask your opinion on the following, please.

For 5 years, i had a guy best friend. We live far away from each other. When i visited him the last time, i successfully pushed the limits of this friendship. I have confessed my feelings towards him and he said that this is the first time he had feelings for a girl and that he never thought he would get these feelings one day. He promised to visit me soon. One week later, when we were apart from each other, doubts started to unearth. He suddenly was not sure. He mentioned that we are not really compatible, that issues may arise with his family, and lately the fact that he has is not capable of feeling emotions.

The past 5 months, he never called me. He initiated once a conversation by text messages. Im the only one initiating conversations regularly. He generally replies but ignores me for hours.

I have told him that if he wishes only friendship, this is fine with me and that myself, after having been treated this way, i do not feel like having a relationship with him at the moment. He does not seem to believe it and he is wondering how we can come back as friends again after the very short lived relationship.

What would you do if you were in my shoes? What do you think about this situation?

Im tired of fighting alone to keep the friendship.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2019, 03:29 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupitervenussaturn View Post
Hi,

For 5 years, i had a guy best friend. We live far away from each other. When i visited him the last time, i successfully pushed the limits of this friendship. I have confessed my feelings towards him and he said that this is the first time he had feelings for a girl and that he never thought he would get these feelings one day. He promised to visit me soon. One week later, when we were apart from each other, doubts started to unearth. He suddenly was not sure. He mentioned that we are not really compatible, that issues may arise with his family, and lately the fact that he has is not capable of feeling emotions.

The past 5 months, he never called me. He initiated once a conversation by text messages. Im the only one initiating conversations regularly. He generally replies but ignores me for hours.

I have told him that if he wishes only friendship, this is fine with me and that myself, after having been treated this way, i do not feel like having a relationship with him at the moment. He does not seem to believe it and he is wondering how we can come back as friends again after the very short lived relationship.

What would you do if you were in my shoes? What do you think about this situation?

Thank you.
I think you should stop fighting. There's no reason for you to keep initiating.

Old 12-01-2019, 04:15 PM

663 posts, read 434,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
I think you should stop fighting. There's no reason for you to keep initiating.
Agree

Old 12-01-2019, 04:37 PM

9,375 posts, read 6,982,208 times
Quote:
Hi,

Thank you.

I'm not sure I would consider initiating a call or a text "fighting" and if that is the current definition of the word then the standard sure has fallen far. My best friend in high school was female and we were like brother and sister. Literally 2-3 nights per week I was having dinner with her and her family and taking her out for coffees. I never once had any romantic feelings for her and I can't say if vice versa were true. If she had confessed a crush it would have made things awkward for sure but our friendship would have endured. All I can think of is the friend of yours must be extremely immature if he can't communicate his way through or around this.

Old 12-01-2019, 05:02 PM

6,460 posts, read 3,983,103 times
Quote:
Hi,

Thank you.
So let it go. He's not interested, clearly. If he ever is, he can do the initiating. (and by that I mean, don't sit by the phone waiting for him to call. Just figure if he does, oh, that's nice; otherwise don't bother.)

Not sure I'd want to be friends with someone who told me they're "not capable of feeling emotions," anyway.

Old 12-01-2019, 05:34 PM

18,108 posts, read 15,683,109 times
He's not good dating material in general. Why tether yourself to a guy who doesn't feel emotions and isn't capable of that?

And the attendant awkwardness after you confessed your feelings and explored something different for a week is the proof you need to back that truck up and depart.

Let.It.Go.

Old 12-01-2019, 05:59 PM

1,493 posts, read 1,521,600 times
He's just not into you..

Old 12-01-2019, 06:48 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,116,005 times
Just like in that movie, Frozen: "Let it go, let it go! Turn [your] back and slam the door!"

That's what you need to do.

Old 12-01-2019, 08:02 PM

3 posts, read 2,154 times
Thanks for your messages. I always thought that if we had an important issue, we would always be able to overcome it because we would care about the other. it seems like i was wrong...

Old 12-01-2019, 10:22 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,280,698 times
Not sure what you want us to say. He said he does not have romantic feelings for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships