Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2019, 07:17 AM

22,193 posts, read 19,233,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
I have a relative like this. What I do is delay their gratification. "Oh, you want me to buy you eggs. I am going to the supermarket this weekend. I can get them then."
this is awesome. love it.

think of what you are OK with, such as "going to the store for mom twice a month" "let me know in advance what you need" then it is up to mom to work within that parameter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2019, 08:41 AM

6,305 posts, read 4,201,329 times
Quote:
I have a relative like this. What I do is delay their gratification. "Oh, you want me to buy you eggs. I am going to the supermarket this weekend. I can get them then."
Hah! I love it

Old 12-03-2019, 08:46 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conlainhothuong View Post
The issue here is that I dont mind taking care of my mom, but I dont want to bare the sole responsibility of doing everything for her, while she turns around enables my sister. My sister could literally be driving home from work and passing by a grocery store, and my mom would call me and ask if I could get her some eggs. It causes bitterness, and I would expect it to cause bitterness for the average person if they are being treated unfairly. I swear this wouldnt be an issue at all if the responsibilities are being shared evenly amongst us.
What about grocery delivery?

Old 12-03-2019, 08:47 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times
Quote:
Yupe, thats the only place that she travels too. She also finds pleasure in making the airport staff wheel her around because she doesnt want her feet to get tired. I am just tired of seeing her take advantage of anyone that she can get her hands on, not just me.
omw. Doesn't want her feet to get tired! I needed a laugh, thanks!

Old 12-03-2019, 09:31 AM

3,320 posts, read 1,819,818 times
Everyone else seems pretty pleased as punch with the status quo.

So until YOU change YOUR behavior nothing will change!

Till then I hope vent-whine posts to strangers make you feel better.

Old 12-03-2019, 09:47 AM

102,217 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
The issue here is that I dont mind taking care of my mom, but I dont want to bare the sole responsibility of doing everything for her, while she turns around enables my sister. My sister could literally be driving home from work and passing by a grocery store, and my mom would call me and ask if I could get her some eggs. It causes bitterness, and I would expect it to cause bitterness for the average person if they are being treated unfairly. I swear this wouldnt be an issue at all if the responsibilities are being shared evenly amongst us.
Stop responding to those calls. Tell her to call your sister, or to do a better job of planning her grocery needs in advance, so she can get everything in one trip.

Find out who in your town offers transportation for seniors; there's usually a service that's set up precisely to help seniors get to the appointments and their shopping. It's either free, or costs only a small amount. The next time she comes up with a "cancer" emergency requiring a trip to the hospital, simply tell her she doesn't have cancer, and you're not taking her. You said she has a primary care doctor, so she can call her doctor for an appointment for her "emergency". They can usually get a regular patient in within a few days if it's truly urgent. "Cancer" isn't urgent, btw.

You're going to have to stop responding to her every beck and call, come what may. This is ridiculous, OP. Brace yourself for whatever retaliation she may throw at you, and weather the storm. Have you talked to your sister about this? It would help if you two could present a united front.

Old 12-03-2019, 10:09 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,163,579 times
Quote:
I have seen that work very well with overly needy people.

Heck, don't parents do that with their children all the time?
"No, honey, you can't have cookies right now but you can have a cookie for dessert after dinner."
"No, sweetie, I will not buy you a new doll today. Christmas is coming and you will get some nice toys then."
"No, darling, we aren't going to stop at McDonalds. There is a yummy meal waiting at home for us in the crock pot."
"No, baby, you can't play outside right now. It is night time. We can play catch tomorrow in the sunshine."

Old 12-03-2019, 11:01 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,700,987 times
She loves you and trusts you. Take that as a blessing. Repay the favor to your mom who raised you.

Old 12-03-2019, 11:04 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,700,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Stop responding to those calls. Tell her to call your sister, or to do a better job of planning her grocery needs in advance, so she can get everything in one trip.

Find out who in your town offers transportation for seniors; there's usually a service that's set up precisely to help seniors get to the appointments and their shopping. It's either free, or costs only a small amount. The next time she comes up with a "cancer" emergency requiring a trip to the hospital, simply tell her she doesn't have cancer, and you're not taking her. You said she has a primary care doctor, so she can call her doctor for an appointment for her "emergency". They can usually get a regular patient in within a few days if it's truly urgent. "Cancer" isn't urgent, btw.

You're going to have to stop responding to her every beck and call, come what may. This is ridiculous, OP. Brace yourself for whatever retaliation she may throw at you, and weather the storm. Have you talked to your sister about this? It would help if you two could present a united front.
The disease of ungrateful children is apparently spreading far and wide. No wonder senior homes are a trillion dollar industry today but were almost unheard of only 40 or so years ago.

Karma, children. Remember karma.

I have 6 other selfish siblings who do zilch for their elderly parents. Me being the only one. Do I bother reaming them out? Nope. When my dad thanks me for helping as I leave his home that's all I need.

Old 12-03-2019, 05:10 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,515,138 times
When she calls to ask you to bring eggs, do you bring them? When she asks you to come read her mail, do you come over? She’s doing what you let her do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships