Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2019, 07:50 AM

6,306 posts, read 4,201,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Its just too much of a hassle

I like to relax at home and do as little as possible. And that does not include putting up lights and a christmas tree!

Now i do watch Hallmark Christmas movies all the time. I get my enjoyment through that. I help with other things around town. But here - nope. One reason i guess is that the whole thing starts so soon.

I hear people older than me agonizing about all the things they HAVE to do. No one has to do anything. So I'm trying to set that example - lol!

I don’t agonize ever about Christmas and no hassle at all, LOVE it but my husband could take it or leave. He doesn’t decorate the tree and I don’t try to make him. I get my glass of sherry , put my music on, and merrily get on with it. My husband likes that it makes me happy.

Still I respect that not everyone likes it, and my feeling they shouldn’t feel guilty, however It’s becomes grinch like if a significant other made your life miserable because you wanted to do Christmas .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2019, 07:58 AM

272 posts, read 131,049 times
I feel the same. I volunteered to work 12 hour shifts on the holidays. That allows at least one other nurse to take time off and I get double time pay. The nursing director runs a skeleton crew on holidays, so I am too damn busy to worry about things. I get through things a day at a time.

Old 12-08-2019, 08:19 AM

2,277 posts, read 1,672,453 times
I have many retired friends who no longer put up a tree. This year, my grown kids did it as they were also here the day after Thanksgiving. It was enjoyable to them as our decorations are mostly handmade by them as children or given by special relatives and friends, so they reminisced. I do not decorate every nook and cranny of the house anymore.

I send out only about 30 cards and our gift list is much shorter than years ago. One of our children will come for Christmas Eve and Christmas morning brunch, then on to the in-laws. Perfect for us as I am tired of doing the huge holiday dinner for both Thanksgiving and Christmas Day. Now I put a stew in the crockpot and relax for the rest of the day.

Christmas had an entirely different tone with little kids in the house - happy memories.

Old 12-08-2019, 08:29 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,589,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
No details to share, I just don't enjoy the Holidays as a person should. Too much resentment, too similar to Gosford Park.

I imagine that I am not alone but I don't like feeling this way.
A lot of people don't enjoy or participate in the Christmas thing. Jewish and Muslim religious people, for example.

I enjoy it up to a point. I do a turkey at Thanksgiving...usually alone, which is fine w/me. And my pets. I do different things at Christmas, and I do like to decorate (but not right now...I hate where I live, since moving to a dead end street...I see no point in putting up decor on a dead end street). I hope to move to a regular subdivision; I'll start decorating then.

I also partake of the holiday sales. Good time to purchase some things.

Old 12-08-2019, 08:31 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,404,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I hear people older than me agonizing about all the things they HAVE to do. No one has to do anything. So I'm trying to set that example - lol!
I don't mind having two weeks off of work, or spending time with family and friends around the holidays, but I decided that I'm not doing all the bells and whistles, because it doesn't make me happy. I don't decorate, and I don't send cards. I tell people that I don't want gifts, and I don't buy gifts. For my family, I'll take the amount of money I would have spent on presents and donate to a few charities. All of this is probably easier because I'm single and don't have kids, so there are fewer expectations on me.

Old 12-08-2019, 11:46 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,707,756 times
My husband and I did away with all the gift giving years ago. Told relatives don’t bother; we are done with that,

We still sometimes went out for dim sum on holidays, as long as weather was OK. If it was snowing or icy, we just stayed at home, no big deal. Same for birthdays.

The thing I hate about Christmas is the hype and greed that goes with it. I got used to tuning it out, except I still can’t block out the tacky, crass, moronic pop-version Christmas songs played in grocery stores. Real Christmas songs sung by traditional choirs are nice. Just spare me the tawdry modernized crap versions. GROSS.

Old 12-08-2019, 03:11 PM

23 posts, read 11,295 times
OP. All wisdom comes from the movie Animal House. This clip should serve your needs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uepFO4psgKE

Old 12-08-2019, 03:41 PM

4,280 posts, read 5,939,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrookedFinger View Post
OP. All wisdom comes from the movie Animal House. This clip should serve your needs:
I personally observed or was an active participant in every shenanigan shown in that movie while I was an Underclassman, up to the point where they converted a T-Bird into a tank.

You cannot fathom the noise produced by a Harley-Davidson as it is being riden indoors!

Old 12-08-2019, 03:58 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBoy3 View Post
Watch a Hallmark Christmas movie..
Which one?

The one with the high powered career woman who goes to a small town and falls in love with the guy in a sweater?
Or the one with the high powered career woman who goes to a small town and falls in love with the guy in a sweater?

Old 12-08-2019, 04:39 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,389,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
No details to share, I just don't enjoy the Holidays as a person should. Too much resentment, too similar to Gosford Park.

I imagine that I am not alone but I don't like feeling this way.
ya i dont really care for xmas either so i feel ya,OP.You dont have to celebrate xmas if u dont want to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships