Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2019, 11:46 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,179,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I can't speak for Hackopotamus but we heard it was disrespectful when we were kids. 'Don't take Christ out of Christmas' kind of thing.

I'm not offended by it, but I do admire Hackopotamus for not wanting to offend anyone.
Read the link uptgread. It used to be quite common to use the Xmas form. Since the X signifies Chist in Greek, one is not taking Christ out of the word christmas by using that form.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2019, 02:12 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,201,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBoy3 View Post
Watch a Hallmark Christmas movie..
So he should get an acid reflux attack!

Old 12-10-2019, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
No details to share, I just don't enjoy the Holidays as a person should. Too much resentment, too similar to Gosford Park.

I imagine that I am not alone but I don't like feeling this way.
Christmas is a largely a zero for me, though I do enjoy some city decorations. What I don't get about the above quote is the "should." Why "should" you...who is making this an obligation? Or is that where the resentment is coming from. Is someone making this a "should" for you?

It's a day that I do things I enjoy and it is always a pleasant day for me, the fact that other people are doing Christmas stuff on that day is neither here nor there.

Old 12-10-2019, 03:36 AM

35,080 posts, read 17,043,458 times
I don't look forward to cleaning the reindeer droppings off my living room carpet on the morning of December 25.

Old 12-10-2019, 06:24 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,656,346 times
Seriously nobody else gets irritated with the push to buy, buy, buy starting with Xmas stuff out in August/September? Surprised they dont add Xmas stuff to the "Back to School" sales. Or buy early Xmas presents for 4th of July. Maybe a red, white, and blue Xmas tree for the 4th. Its really a bit much. And Thanksgiving has turned into Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales for most people.

I can see celebrating the days getting longer and promise of spring around the bend. Even the Christian take on Winter Solstice isnt horrible. But the merchandising of everything is big turn off.

Old 12-10-2019, 06:40 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
The push to buy buy buy is present all year.
It's ceaseless.
And always irritating.

Old 12-10-2019, 07:29 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,624,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Read the link uptgread. It used to be quite common to use the Xmas form. Since the X signifies Chist in Greek, one is not taking Christ out of the word christmas by using that form.
Sorry, Silibran, I should have been clearer. And I did read your link.

Back in the day it was explained where the X came from - but we were still told it was disrespectful. To this day, I can't help but write it out. Some things are just ingrained in you.

Old 12-10-2019, 08:05 AM

19,814 posts, read 9,376,760 times
I actually miss the Christmases of my past with all the "hassle".

Now, it is really just my husband and I, with very few gifts to buy (and most of those bought on-line) for relatives who live far from us; and instead of having to making three different stops and making dozens of different kinds of Christmas cookies, I just make one kind and one batch, and instead of "major" decorating, we have just a Christmas tree. I also have not sent Christmas cards for decades (no one to send them to who would appreciate them). Actually, the most Christmas fun we have now is shopping for toys to give anonymously to underprivileged kids -- although we do enjoy Christmas dinner and Christmas movies and music, too.

To each his or her own -- of course! -- but (to repeat), I would actually prefer to have more Christmas "hassle".

Old 12-10-2019, 08:09 AM

19,814 posts, read 9,376,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Which one?

The one with the high powered career woman who goes to a small town and falls in love with the guy in a sweater?
Or the one with the high powered career woman who goes to a small town and falls in love with the guy in a sweater?
Or how about the high powered career man who returns to his small hometown and falls in love with a widow and her daughter?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woAFDHpWlkk

Old 12-10-2019, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post

Back in the day it was explained where the X came from - but we were still told it was disrespectful. To this day, I can't help but write it out. Some things are just ingrained in you.
I grew up in the 40's and 50's, and Xmas was used then though usually the word was spelled out - but even on some cards and in notes on cards from religious relatives I saw Xmas used. I can only remember one person who objected and that was an extremely religiously observant R.C. sister of my father.

It wasn't until years later that I heard large numbers of people object to Xmas.

In the Eighties I saw the term "Xians" used by people on Usenet who thought Christians were a bigot lot, and were clearly hitting back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships