Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2019, 04:52 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,100,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
At age 70, I truly have to wonder if I am unusual in that I have never had any driving passions in my life. Oh, I liked my career, I liked being a parent, I loved/love my husbands, I enjoyed music and home ownership. I like travel, I do dog rescue. But, internally there has never been a deep, deep compelling engagement with anything that took over all other facets of my being. I’ve known people in the performing arts, or collectors, or helicopter parents. I know people who love history and continually explore new aspects or historical discoveries. Etc. etc. etc.

I’ve just always been a practical sort of person willing to put in the time, effort and funds to anything I believe in until it stopped making sense. I am sort of jealous of a person who will sacrifice just about everything to pursue a passion. Wonder, at this stage in life, how much joy I have missed out on. Am I unusual?
I would say half or maybe even the majority of people are in your shoes.

In a way, I envy people in your shoes, because, well ... if you don't have a passion, then there's no reason to feel your wasting time at your job.

I OTOH, do and do...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2019, 06:06 PM

6,590 posts, read 4,980,255 times
It sounds like you have enjoyed what you've done in life, and who you've spent time with. I know people who have no interests and are bored with everything, all the time. I don't think you fit into that category, so no, I don't think you are unusual

Old 12-18-2019, 06:18 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,380,912 times
I'm a very good writer. I have worked with dogs all my life. I love to read. But I find the overriding passions that cause you to neglect other vital parts of your life and development are not really positive things for the person engaged in them. A well-rounded life is very important, and OP, it sounds like you have one. I have a ton of hobbies I enjoy and interests I pursue. But really all I want at the end of the day is to have spent some time with friends or family, to have done something I enjoyed, and to know I'm going to lay down in my own bed at night with my pets snuggled up next to me.

Old 12-18-2019, 06:18 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,962,532 times
I have many things in my life that I enjoy, my family, friends, job, pets, etc. I'm not sure I see the need for a particular passion, as life is unpredictable, and pursuing any singular passion can become difficult.

Old 12-18-2019, 06:30 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,680,999 times
Quote:
At age 70, I truly have to wonder if I am unusual in that I have never had any driving passions in my life. Oh, I liked my career, I liked being a parent, I loved/love my husbands, I enjoyed music and home ownership. I like travel, I do dog rescue. But, internally there has never been a deep, deep compelling engagement with anything that took over all other facets of my being. I’ve known people in the performing arts, or collectors, or helicopter parents. I know people who love history and continually explore new aspects or historical discoveries. Etc. etc. etc.

I’ve just always been a practical sort of person willing to put in the time, effort and funds to anything I believe in until it stopped making sense. I am sort of jealous of a person who will sacrifice just about everything to pursue a passion. Wonder, at this stage in life, how much joy I have missed out on. Am I unusual?
No, I don't think you're unusual at all. I think you're probably the norm.

Old 12-18-2019, 06:36 PM

6,120 posts, read 4,611,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
The best feeling in the world is the orgasm. So if you have had and still have that, you are not missing anything.
A drug addict might say their drug of choice is even better than an orgasm. And that's certainly not to say that doing hard drugs to test that out is a good thing as it often leads to extreme disaster for the person and anyone involved with them. But they certainly are passionate about their drugs, and that goes to show that sometimes being overly passionate about something isn't always a good thing.

Old 12-18-2019, 06:45 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times
Quote:

I think most people have busy lives and ever changing interests that make them well-rounded people without a real passion for any one thing.

Others have found something they're passionate about and really enjoy getting immersed in it.

One isn't any more fulfilling of a life than the other, I don't believe.

It sounds like you wish you had something to focus on at this point in your life. If that's the case, be curious, try a lot of things and you'll find it. I know retired men who took up woodworking and make amazing furniture. I know a woman who retired and took up painting - and is now selling her work. Another has learned French. One took a photography class and wonders where the camera has been her whole life.

Grandma Moses didn't start painting until she was in her 70's. Laura Ingalls Wilder was in her 70's when she had her first book published. Frank McCourt was in his 60's.

If you feel you want more at this point in your life - get out and see where your interests take you.

Old 12-18-2019, 07:02 PM

1,449 posts, read 1,149,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
IMHO..."passion" is sometimes a misused/misunderstood/over-rated term.
I agree 100%. The term is over-used and kinda trendy. I'm hoping it falls by the wayside sooner than later. Puts too much pressure on normal, well-rounded, content people (like OP and myself). I love my husband and sons deeply. But passionately? Well, DH for sure when those moments strike! Not sure that would be appropriate to discuss, however, at a job interview where they want to know about my passions.

Old 12-18-2019, 07:11 PM

1,096 posts, read 418,919 times
Quote:

It sounds to me like you have a good balance. Seems like you are enjoying your life so wouldn't worry about it. A person can be passionate about say work. Their passion causes them to neglect their family. You don't have to worry about things like that. Think you struck a good balance. Be happy

Old 12-18-2019, 08:53 PM

6,307 posts, read 4,201,329 times
I am one of those people who has an absolute passion for art . It’s not something I looked for or tried to have, it just is. I don’t feel it totally defines me though since I wear many hats in this life and love many other things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships