Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2019, 09:48 AM

8,153 posts, read 8,359,535 times

Advertisements

At age 70, I truly have to wonder if I am unusual in that I have never had any driving passions in my life. Oh, I liked my career, I liked being a parent, I loved/love my husbands, I enjoyed music and home ownership. I like travel, I do dog rescue. But, internally there has never been a deep, deep compelling engagement with anything that took over all other facets of my being. I’ve known people in the performing arts, or collectors, or helicopter parents. I know people who love history and continually explore new aspects or historical discoveries. Etc. etc. etc.

I’ve just always been a practical sort of person willing to put in the time, effort and funds to anything I believe in until it stopped making sense. I am sort of jealous of a person who will sacrifice just about everything to pursue a passion. Wonder, at this stage in life, how much joy I have missed out on. Am I unusual?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2019, 10:10 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,025,119 times
Good post.

I have to say that in a way, what you described can be thought of as a very good, stable, fulfilling life with contentment...the pot of gold so many people might just overlook while they chase their passion.

Secondly...IMHO..."passion" is sometimes a misused/misunderstood/over-rated term.

Old 12-18-2019, 10:40 AM

4,414 posts, read 3,476,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
At age 70, I truly have to wonder if I am unusual in that I have never had any driving passions in my life. Oh, I liked my career, I liked being a parent, I loved/love my husbands, I enjoyed music and home ownership. I like travel, I do dog rescue. But, internally there has never been a deep, deep compelling engagement with anything that took over all other facets of my being. I’ve known people in the performing arts, or collectors, or helicopter parents. I know people who love history and continually explore new aspects or historical discoveries. Etc. etc. etc.

I’ve just always been a practical sort of person willing to put in the time, effort and funds to anything I believe in until it stopped making sense. I am sort of jealous of a person who will sacrifice just about everything to pursue a passion. Wonder, at this stage in life, how much joy I have missed out on. Am I unusual?

I feel like I could have written this post!

Even activities I really really enjoy and do often, I can't say I'm "passionate" about.

Old 12-18-2019, 01:28 PM

631 posts, read 400,184 times
You're not unusual at all IMO.

In reading your post I was asking myself if there's anything I was passionate about through the years. Quite honestly I can't even define "passionate", so I guess I've led a life without it. However like you, I've loved doing things in my life like you, - 2 husbands, lots of travel, animals, cooking, friends etc. Life has been very fulfilling, so pffft to passion - gimme contentment any day of the week .

Old 12-18-2019, 01:46 PM

24,595 posts, read 10,909,474 times
Quote:

In retrospect - would you give up what you have and had?
SO did it and we had everything on the line. It evolved into something unexpected which I suggested at the beginning:>)
Why do you not do something you enjoy and take it from there?

Old 12-18-2019, 02:01 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,963,905 times
The best feeling in the world is the orgasm. So if you have had and still have that, you are not missing anything. Other things to enjoy, a dog, a great meal, a great movie, alcohol if you drink. I think pleasure and joy come and go, happiness is an emotion tied to events, not a permanent thing. An over riding passion is just another state of mind. At some point it's over and you move on to something else. The kids leave home, you retire from a job you loved for years, your tastes and hobbies change over time. You find something else that amuses you and takes up your time.

Old 12-18-2019, 02:35 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,281,745 times
Quote:

not unusual at all

Old 12-18-2019, 03:12 PM

12,780 posts, read 14,996,596 times
Very interesting thread.

I'm 44 & as I think back throughout my life, I don't think I've had any truly STRONG, STRONG passion about anything either.

Surely it wasn't work. Yes, there were jobs I like more than others, but it's just to make a living because if I won the lottery & never had to work again, I sure wouldn't.

I do feel strongly about my fiance' & can't imagine life w/o him, so he's probably my strongest passion in life & if I was to ever have a strong passion, I'm glad it's about a living human being.

WorldKlas, maybe ask yourself this...if money was no object & you had all the time & money in the world to do what YOU wanted & didn't have to do what most people have to do (work, etc.), WHAT exactly would YOU do?

If money was no object, I'd love to travel a whole LOT more & go to live performances than I do now, so I guess those would be considered passions.

I'd have a new lease on life if I was wealthy because...

- I'd live where I really want to. Currently, I live in an apt & it's nice & all, but I wouldn't stay here if I was a millionaire.

- I'd travel all around the world. Sure can't afford that currently.

- I'd get a dog again. I love dogs & had one before, but I'd rather just be in my own home before I got a dog again.

- I'd go on a new fun outing a few times a week. Currently, I can only have 1 fun day a week, but can't travel too far...maybe about 1-2 hours away.

So anyone who says money doesn't make you happy, well, it depends. It's not that I'd be happier, I'd just be a lot more carefree & wouldn't be a prisoner to time.

Old 12-18-2019, 03:33 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,795,109 times
I've never had any real passions either. I was asked "who are you" by someone and drew a blank. I'm not my career, I'm not a husband or a father (though I want those things). But that question really made me wonder if I'll ever figure out who I really am. I think its related to passions, but maybe not the same thing. I have no idea. Sure I have interests, but they don't define me. I love sports, health and fitness, animals, travel, music, etc. Am I passionate about them? Kind of, but I do feel like there's something big missing. Not sure what it is or if I'll ever figure it out.

Old 12-18-2019, 04:51 PM

6,562 posts, read 8,400,245 times
Quote:

I’m 42 and feel the same but I’m okay with who I am. Life is good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships