Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2019, 08:38 PM

69 posts, read 78,789 times

Advertisements

It’s this dude I know in the neighborhood for almost 10 years. We never actually hung out before though. I’m not sure if I would say me and this dude is buddies or not but usually we talk when we run into each other.

So last year somehow me and this dude exchanged numbers. He started texting me every week political related videos police brutality etc.

He also always tells me about the issues he’s having with his child mother and the issues at his job.

So about 4 days ago he texts me. Here’s what was said

Him: Knicks tickets are cheap now

Me: not really unless you know someone who you can get it cheap from

Him: I always have and I’m not a lazy dude. I don’t have the luxury to sit around all day

Me: what does being lazy have to do with Knicks tickets being cheap

Him: You lazy man

After that I stopped texting him that day cause I don’t know what he was trying to imply or what.

Here’s where things get weird

He texts me yesterday on Christmas Day saying he got a big screen tv for Christmas. I said cool.

Later on he texts me after the basketball game because his team lost. He said the other team got lucky. After that we wind up getting into a debate about basketball. To summarize the story, during the argument he used terms like “are you dumb” “are you retarded” “ you sound retarded” “you don’t know more about sports than me and I’m older than you”. “Something is wrong with y’all young generation”.

Mind you I’m 35 and this dude 40. This is the type of stuff he was saying during the argument. It actually made me feel like he was trying to cause a fight or something.

So during the argument he said “conversation over dont ever talk to me about sports again”.
I said yea but I proved my point. He then sent me a clown emoji. I felt like he was trying to call me a clown. I didn’t text him back after that.

This morning he texted me a music video with a political meaning and said “what you know about this”.

I texted back and said “wow this is deep. It can be applied to what’s going on today”.

He said “what?”

So I explained to him what I meant.

He then said “ok but you don’t know nothing about this”.

I stopped texting him after that because I felt like he was trying to be ignorant. Later on he texted me saying he got Knicks tickets. He texted me at the same time the game had started. The game started 7:30 and he texted me 7:25 saying he got tickets lol.

How should I handle this situation with this dude? What to do when I see him in person again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2019, 08:41 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,244,809 times
Stop texting him.

Problem solved.

Old 12-26-2019, 08:45 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,716,485 times
Oh my.

I'm not even sure what to say about this "problem." And why you need to ask strangers on the Internet what to do.

How do people like OP even find this site?

Old 12-26-2019, 08:47 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times
Slow fade.

Just say "sup" when you pass him outside. Keep walking.

The end.

Old 12-26-2019, 09:44 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,308,750 times
Block him

Old 12-26-2019, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Stop texting him.

Problem solved.

Yea but I got a feeling this dude is gonna text me in the morning. He’s either gonna send some political video or music video from YouTube. What if he does? Should I respond to it

Old 12-26-2019, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerezz7 View Post
Yea but I got a feeling this dude is gonna text me in the morning. He’s either gonna send some political video or music video from YouTube. What if he does? Should I respond to it
No.

That's how the slow fade works.

You don't respond to every text he sends, and when you do respond, wait 10 or 20 minutes to reply.

Don't reply at all to the kinds of texts you don't like.

He sounds like a moron. Eventually he will give up and stop texting you.

Old 12-26-2019, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
No.

That's how the slow fade works.

You don't respond to every text he sends, and when you do respond, wait 10 or 20 minutes to reply.

Don't reply at all to the kinds of texts you don't like.

He sounds like a moron. Eventually he will give up and stop texting you.

Yea but what if I run into him in the neighborhood and he says something like “hey man I been texting you” or something of that nature. How do I handle that?

Another thing I meant to mention before he started this petty arguing mess, when he wasn’t sending me political videos he would send a random text like “people don’t want to see him happy”. When I ask what happened he would be like nothing I’m ok

But yea I’m sorry I even gave this dude my number. Seemed cool when we used to talk when running into each other. Didn’t know he was like this.

How do I handle it though if he does ask about the text messages when we run into each other

Old 12-26-2019, 10:55 PM

“I’ve been busy”

Or just flat-out tell him, “I don’t have time to look down and see an insult from you every 90 seconds.”

He hasn’t been worried about YOUR feelings, so why worry so much about awkwardness with him??

Old 12-26-2019, 10:59 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,865,361 times
Well... he did say don't ever talk to him about sports. Fine... hold him to that and don't engage. If he sends another political text... ignore it and don't engage. Should he ask, tell him that he's the one that said don't talk about sports. As for the political texts, I guess I would say it's going to be a New Year's resolution to not talk about politics with other people and simply just stop engaging.

It seems like he's just looking for something to beat your head over. You sounds like you're easily baited. You should recognize when not to argue with the wrong kind of person. After all, there's a reason why there's such adages like: Don't ever argue with an argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships