Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2019, 03:25 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,859,019 times

Advertisements

My family, the men usually watched football and the ladies were in another room chatting. I usually was with them instead as after a while, football bores me. There were games: Boggle, Mexican dominos, Yahtzee, and some others. It was great that everyone seemed to get along and booze was not involved. Since my family are all gone now including my younger brother who died of AIDS in '93, I miss those days. It is just wife and daughter and I now. This year on Christmas night, we got out old videos ( which I had put on DVD) and watched them. It was fun to see how things have changed and to see loved ones that have passed again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2019, 05:08 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,785,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
This is a typical gathering for holidays. Lunch/Dinner table conversation is enjoyable, but becomes less so after that. The men’s convo centers around sports (statistics, bets, etc)- none of which interest me. I am a guy and don’t feel like I am around anyone that shares similar interests at these times. It’s pretty dammed lonely and I really don’t look forward to these get-togethers. Anyone else feel this way?
I know of some with those feelings. They don't have kids, aren't hooked up or getting married and so....Where's the enjoyment?

I found out they go, make Mom and Pop happy they're all there BUT they then just sit and read their favorite book, if someone ask them anything, they answer with a smile, asked if they are having a good time, they agree they are and they will join in conversations if so inclined....But they don't have similar interests as their family members, but they don't act aloof or unhappy with the gathering.

If they did, they said "I'd just not go and go somewhere else, but once a year ain't killing me"

Old 12-28-2019, 08:45 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times
Quote:
This is a typical gathering for holidays. Lunch/Dinner table conversation is enjoyable, but becomes less so after that. The men’s convo centers around sports (statistics, bets, etc)- none of which interest me. I am a guy and don’t feel like I am around anyone that shares similar interests at these times. It’s pretty dammed lonely and I really don’t look forward to these get-togethers. Anyone else feel this way?

Well, you could always play the spy like I do (for me, maybe play isn't the right word but anyhow). Grab a hold of the related magazines, read them, get up in the knowledge, and then play the part!

Being able to become someone else is so much fun......at least for us acting types.

Old 12-28-2019, 10:22 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
I don't understand the issue. There are a lot of things I don't follow or care about but when I'm in a crowd filled with people discussing them, I still enjoy watching the conversation even if I can't weigh in. I also ask questions and have learned a lot doing that.

Why does it have to be a topic you know about in order to feel like you fit in? I don't get that thinking.

Old 12-29-2019, 06:20 AM

319 posts, read 145,525 times
Quote:
Because that’s ALL that they discuss when they are together at these functions. It REALLY helps if you have a high tolerance for beer. Even in times when I’ve brought up different topics in the past, it ALWAYS returns to football convo.
Football is usually a safe discussion.

Old 12-29-2019, 06:52 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bursitis View Post

True!

Although the way I do it, it is not for any fav team or player, but just watching a well played game.......with lots of QB sacking!

Old 12-29-2019, 09:21 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,459,309 times
I enjoy playing sports but do not enjoy watching sports. Watching sports is a waste of my time. Playing a sport benefits me. I identify with having no desire to discuss spectator sports. If you happen to enjoy participating in a sport or fitness activity, you could steer a discussion that way.

An even better option would be not to show up. That way, you can relax and enjoy your own down time.

Old 12-29-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
True!

Although the way I do it, it is not for any fav team or player, but just watching a well played game.......with lots of QB sacking!
My wife is the same way - she has no problem watching a competitive game.

Old 12-29-2019, 11:25 AM

3,763 posts, read 5,859,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bursitis View Post
Most of the time better than politics or religion. However, my family were usually all on the same page politically.

Old 12-29-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
Most of the time better than politics or religion. However, my family were usually all on the same page politically.
I like talking current events, politics, religion and social issues, but the 'other' side in my family usually lose their minds during disagreements.

All I have to do to set my 32 year old nephew off is chant "TRUMP! TRUMP! TRUMP!" upon seeing him. It's not even fun anymore.

I lied - yes it is!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships