Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2020, 02:16 PM

867 posts, read 1,588,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
"Irish Catholic" is just short-hand for a very specific cultural experience - it's a two word phrase that conveys an entire lifetime of customs and behaviors. It really has less to do with religion than it does with culture.
I get that however most if not all of their "customs" and "behaviors" are things everyone does. For instance, one said to me - "My Irish Catholic Mother forced me to go to church every Sunday. She was a tough lady".. Well my Mom forced me to go to church too and she was not nice about it either. So, what's the difference? Moms are mean sometimes because they have to be. So are Dads. Many Protestants force their kids to go church. It happens.

The only thing, sadly, that I do believe is that a lot of Irish have drinking problems. They can't hold their liquor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2020, 02:31 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,915,651 times
"People keep telling me their religion"....I'm trying to envision the scenario. How does this even come up?

And then interjecting religion or culture in ordinary conversation. Are there a lot of Irish people where you live and work. But, still, what makes them say these things?

Old 01-11-2020, 02:36 PM

24,587 posts, read 10,896,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckygirl15 View Post
I get that however most if not all of their "customs" and "behaviors" are things everyone does. For instance, one said to me - "My Irish Catholic Mother forced me to go to church every Sunday. She was a tough lady".. Well my Mom forced me to go to church too and she was not nice about it either. So, what's the difference? Moms are mean sometimes because they have to be. So are Dads. Many Protestants force their kids to go church. It happens.

The only thing, sadly, that I do believe is that a lot of Irish have drinking problems. They can't hold their liquor.
Ability to "hold one's liquor" is based on one's pssport?

Old 01-11-2020, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Ability to "hold one's liquor" is based on one's pssport?

Ha! See what I did there? You caught it. It's a stereotype but they don't want that one. They want the one that says we are "Irish Catholic and we are different from everyone".

So no, alcoholism affects all types of people. But it's a stereotype that they never like to acknowledge. Instead they say "because we are catholic, we went through this or that. And because we are Irish, we are tough". Everyone goes through stuff and quite frankly, a lot of people are tough and have strong women in their families.

Old 01-11-2020, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petsandgardens View Post
"People keep telling me their religion"....I'm trying to envision the scenario. How does this even come up?

And then interjecting religion or culture in ordinary conversation. Are there a lot of Irish people where you live and work. But, still, what makes them say these things?
I know it's weird, but they seem to work it into conversations quite regularly. If someone is sick, they say "My Irish Catholic mother believed that a potato cured anything!!". WTF? Who cares? My Mother thought ginger ale was a miracle broth. Is that because she is Welsh?

Old 01-11-2020, 03:39 PM

24,587 posts, read 10,896,457 times
Quote:
Ha! See what I did there? You caught it. It's a stereotype but they don't want that one. They want the one that says we are "Irish Catholic and we are different from everyone".

So no, alcoholism affects all types of people. But it's a stereotype that they never like to acknowledge. Instead they say "because we are catholic, we went through this or that. And because we are Irish, we are tough". Everyone goes through stuff and quite frankly, a lot of people are tough and have strong women in their families.
Have you done any research about Irish Catholic and Protestants?

Old 01-11-2020, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Have you done any research about Irish Catholic and Protestants?
no but I will

Old 01-11-2020, 05:07 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,656,400 times
Quote:
I know it's weird, but they seem to work it into conversations quite regularly. If someone is sick, they say "My Irish Catholic mother believed that a potato cured anything!!". WTF? Who cares? My Mother thought ginger ale was a miracle broth. Is that because she is Welsh?
You sound really envious and spiteful. Why wouldn't you be interested in your FRIEND'S history, when they share it? The comment about the potato is funny.

And I don't know about your mom and her love of ginger ale, but I think it's fascinating!

My dad loved Absorbine Jr. - according to him it could kill whatever might be ailing you. I'm surprised he didn't drink it.

He was 100% Italian, and my mom was Irish/Scotts/Welsh and I never heard anything about their heritage and I would have loved to!

So many folk remedies lost.

The Irish are tough. Those who immigrated to the U.S. were severely discriminated against and the ones in Ireland suffered the potato famine. I love hearing about Irish culture and hung out with many Irish Catholic kids families in school (trying to hide from my family) - and LOVED being around them.

I would not want you for a friend - all bitter and resentful of my culture.

Old 01-12-2020, 08:45 AM

6,819 posts, read 11,550,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bursitis View Post
The other day, the idiot up the street from me painted the public fire hydrant in front of his house the colors of the Irish flag.

Tacky.
It could also be putting the fire department at a disadvantage. In some cities the color of the hydrant signifies the size of the water main serving it. This came to light during the Bicentennial when people thought it was cute to paint fire hydrants.

Old 01-12-2020, 08:52 AM

32,659 posts, read 48,067,543 times
Myself, I'd just ignore it.

You can't change them and I wouldn't find it annoying enough to cut that person out of my life.

But I will agree with you, OP, that it is an odd thing to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships