Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2020, 05:56 AM

24,590 posts, read 10,896,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckygirl15 View Post
I heard something about Native American Indians and those DNA companies. I'm not sure if it's true but I heard that in order to get DNA, they have to be able to gather DNA from different regions. The Native Americans don't really trust people taking their DNA or testing them based on the history they have had with being lied to constantly by the white man.

So, there is not a whole lot of DNA data simply because they won't give it. So you could have Native American Indian in your DNA but it might not come up on the test because there is nothing to compare it to.

I have a friend who is from Virginia. She looks like a Cherokee. All the facial features are there. But when she did the Ancestry test, it didn't come up.

I haven't researched this much b/c I know I don't have any in my DNA but just something to ponder.
What does a Cherokee look like? SO has bright blue eyes, curly blond hair, a full beard and a card that says he is Native.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2020, 06:24 AM

6,308 posts, read 4,201,329 times
[quote=MPowering1;57081901]To you. That isn't the case where I grew up. People said, and continue to say, 'I'm Polish' or 'I'm Italian' or 'I'm Irish'. We all know what they mean. They're referring to heritage. When they're not referring to that, they say, 'I was born in Italy.'[/QUOTE

I was simply stating as a new immigrant I didn’t sheesh.

Old 01-14-2020, 06:26 AM

6,308 posts, read 4,201,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrcollie View Post
well I hate to ruin your "gotcha" moment but I do think there is a small kernel of truth in some stereotypes. And I happen to agree there are a lot of problems with alcoholism in the Irish Catholic community.

The stereotype happened for a reason.

Flame away.

Ha ha!

Yes because people over here use is as an excuse to justify getting sloshed on st paddy’s . The usa has a higher rate of binge drinking unless stats have changed recently.

Old 01-14-2020, 08:15 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,032,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
What does a Cherokee look like? SO has bright blue eyes, curly blond hair, a full beard and a card that says he is Native.

My grandma was 25% Cherokee from her mother, and 25% Cherokee from her father. She had copper-red hair that she got from her 100% Scottish great grandfather. :-)

Old 01-14-2020, 09:34 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,409,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
If someone is devoutly religious, their particular faith leaves a cultural imprint on just about every aspect of how a that person sees the world and reacts to it. It affects relationships, beliefs, worldviews, approaches to marriage, and just about everything else on the planet. Even if they don't strictly adhere to the teachings of their faith, you'll be surprised when it suddenly emerges.

I mean, hell, I married into a devout German Catholic family. It was an absolute shocker to this whitebread Episcopalian.

So, rather than ignore it, understand what they're really telling you about themselves.
Exactly, I've noticed similar things with some non-practicing Jewish people I know. The stereotypical Jewish mother, the food, the holidays, their family's traditions--even though they're not religious people, the culture has molded who they are and how they see themselves.

Old 01-14-2020, 10:07 AM

609 posts, read 265,206 times
Sometimes I feel like if one more person tells me about their Irish, Scottish, Cherokee or "Descended from English royalty" heritage, I think I will scream.

Why can't some of these Americans just accept that they are broadly European descent, or mixed, and that their nationality is American? Why do they have to claim a culture or heritage that isn't rightly theirs? Elizabeth Warren is the worst example, there are many others.

Old 01-14-2020, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
Yes because people over here use is as an excuse to justify getting sloshed on st paddy’s . The usa has a higher rate of binge drinking unless stats have changed recently.
The Irish Catholic Community I referred to is the one here in the US. Lot of alcoholics. And as I said, there's a kernel of truth in many stereotypes. And I don't think it's anywhere near the same thing as making stereotypes about traditionally very highly persecuted ethnic groups, such as blacks or Hispanics. The "Irish" still enjoy white privilege.

Old 01-14-2020, 10:15 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,409,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrcollie View Post
And I don't think it's anywhere near the same thing as making stereotypes about traditionally very highly persecuted ethnic groups, such as blacks or Hispanics. The "Irish" still enjoy white privilege.
That wasn't always the case, though. The Irish were once referred to as "the Blacks of Europe," and 100 years ago Greeks and Italians were't considered white by majority American society. Goes to show how race and ethnicity is fluid, not fixed.

Old 01-14-2020, 10:15 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,032,233 times
[quote=PriscillaVanilla;57079141]I heard the same thing in my family, and it turns out that the long, jet black hair came from Spanish heritage - a lot of it. Found through DNA testing. I am over 25% Spanish/Portuguese.

It's noticeable that a lot of Americans claiming Native American ancestry always say its "Cherokee".[/quote]

There's reasons for that.
1. Cherokee did a better job of assimilating into 'white' culture than a lot of the tribes out there.

2. Cherokee marriage traditions were attractive to white men. Once a white man married a Cherokee woman, HE became Cherokee, and was allowed all the benefits of being Cherokee. The most appealing aspect was being able to buy land. (But if the Cherokee wife got tired of her husband's tired ass, she would kick him out and divorce him, and he'd lose his citizenship status.)

3. The Cherokee were not a "war-like" tribe in general. Yes, they aided General Jackson in the French and Indian wars, but the Cherokee were more agricultural (and successful at it) and so they weren't as decimated as some tribes. Up until the Trail of Tears anyway.

4. There are 3 federally recognized Cherokee tribes. (A) The Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians, (B) the Keetoowah Band of Cherokee Nations, and (C) The Cherokee Nation. The Cherokee Nation band has over 300,000 tribal members. To be a member of the Cherokee tribe, you have to either prove blood quantum, OR show linear succession.

Old 01-14-2020, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
That wasn't always the case, though. The Irish were once referred to as "the Blacks of Europe," and 100 years ago Greeks and Italians were't considered white by majority American society. Goes to show how race and ethnicity is fluid, not fixed.
All groups of people have been persecuted at one time or another, but Irish, Greek & Italians have white privilege and could more easily blend in with other whites. That hasn't been the case for blacks, Asians, and many Hispanics, who cannot easily hide their ethnicity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships