Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2020, 02:21 PM

18,111 posts, read 15,690,551 times

Advertisements

A text might lead to a conversation if it results in a phone call, but more often it's to impart quick information ("be there in 10 min," "running late" "pls pick up some milk when you're at store"). You can assume the person got the text or will get it and there's nothing more for *you* to do. If they don't ever respond back there's nothing you can do; you can't control other people, but you can decide whether to have future dealings with them or not.

Old 02-07-2020, 02:26 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,801,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
You seem a bit needy if that hurts your feelings. The women is on the road on business and not glued to her phone to answer your texts. Apparently it is not a life or death situation so talk to her when she can.
People who want to communicate with me reach out to me not punch three acronyms into their phone in 10 seconds.
A bit needy? Ya think....? Maybe just a bit controlling as well.....?

The OP is exactly why texting is so annoying, people expect and demand an immediate response or else they're hurt or mad. Get a life people......try not texting for a week or two and learn how to really communicate....

Old 02-07-2020, 02:28 PM

18,111 posts, read 15,690,551 times
I was in a meeting with a coworker and he got a text from his wife. He showed it to me. It said, "101 666" I looked confused and he said his wife was telling him that highway 101 was hell (traffic) and he knew to avoid 101 going home and take the other highway. He didn't respond, she was imparting information to him. Up to him to utilize that info or not. I was highly amused at the text she sent.

Old 02-07-2020, 02:39 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,034,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
The lack of acknowledgement was the problem.

If she had simply texted back "ok," that would have been enough.

I was excited and wanted to share something with her, but I would have totally understood if she was not available to talk and had simply acknowledged my text.

And I know there is no changing people who are inconsiderate - I sometimes forget and never expected to get no response at all.

I think it would be a funny experiment the next time she texts me to not respond (I would never do that) - she would go ballistic! Can you imagine? She texts me and nothing . . . and after she tries again I would say "I am not glued to my phone." It's just so dysfunctional and disrespectful to ignore people. There are social conventions because common courtesy does matter in life.

But the way you worded your text didn't require an acknowledgement. That's all I'm saying. It's the way you worded the text.

If you'd said "Hey, text me back when you get this" it might've had a different outcome.

Old 02-07-2020, 02:53 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,877,894 times
Quote:
I hope all of the "mean people" get their karma in their loved ones not responding to them so they can see how it feels to be left hanging.
How were you left hanging? Sounds as if you need to be more truthful...with yourself as well as the other person. It might be a bit easier to decide whether you're just being needy or not. TBH, your comment that she's someone you can't argue with and who doesn't tend to see another person's POV rings an ironic little bell.

Last edited by Parnassia; 02-07-2020 at 03:05 PM..

Old 02-07-2020, 02:55 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,877,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
I was in a meeting with a coworker and he got a text from his wife. He showed it to me. It said, "101 666" I looked confused and he said his wife was telling him that highway 101 was hell (traffic) and he knew to avoid 101 going home and take the other highway. He didn't respond, she was imparting information to him. Up to him to utilize that info or not. I was highly amused at the text she sent.
Cute! Good for her!

Old 02-07-2020, 04:11 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,657,996 times
Just got a message on Messenger from someone wanting to know how to take Oscillococcinum (sp.). I was busy - in the middle of doing my taxes - but guess what? I inconvenienced myself and told the person and it took mere seconds out of my life.

I also gave a one line advice on hydrating and sleeping. If I had not answered (as is my God-given right - lol) - the person might feel neglected and since they are sick, it might hurt more than normal. It didn't hurt me to put my needs aside for mere seconds.

Old 02-07-2020, 04:18 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,867,667 times
Taxes aren't due until April. There's a difference between being occupied and being busy.

You also weren't with someone who it'd be rude to neglect in favor of texting.

Old 02-07-2020, 05:17 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,310,719 times
Quote:
The lack of acknowledgement was the problem.

If she had simply texted back "ok," that would have been enough.

I was excited and wanted to share something with her, but I would have totally understood if she was not available to talk and had simply acknowledged my text.

And I know there is no changing people who are inconsiderate - I sometimes forget and never expected to get no response at all.

I think it would be a funny experiment the next time she texts me to not respond (I would never do that) - she would go ballistic! Can you imagine? She texts me and nothing . . . and after she tries again I would say "I am not glued to my phone." It's just so dysfunctional and disrespectful to ignore people. There are social conventions because common courtesy does matter in life.
I don’t think it’s rude to wait to answer a text, especially if one is working or conversing with a client. I always wait till a more convenient time to answer a social call/text. Your friend was working and it wouldn’t look good for her to pick up her phone in a middle of a meeting, read your message and text you back. My husband couldn’t always answer my texts either, but did when he could. Your friend wasn’t being rude, just being responsible.

Old 02-07-2020, 05:17 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,965,387 times
Quote:
Just got a message on Messenger from someone wanting to know how to take Oscillococcinum (sp.). I was busy - in the middle of doing my taxes - but guess what? I inconvenienced myself and told the person and it took mere seconds out of my life.

I also gave a one line advice on hydrating and sleeping. If I had not answered (as is my God-given right - lol) - the person might feel neglected and since they are sick, it might hurt more than normal. It didn't hurt me to put my needs aside for mere seconds.
You can't compare your ability to take a break from doing taxes to somebody who is working for their employer. I work full time. I catch up on messages during my lunch, but if they aren't in urgent need of a response, I mark it as unread and continue scrolling. You have no idea how many people correspond with your cousin, or what the priority of their messages were. As somebody who sometimes feels overwhelmed by the demands on her limited free time, I say "get over it".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships