Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2020, 01:38 PM

11,443 posts, read 626,119 times

Advertisements

I understand how you feel....... Hardily anyone replies to me anymore.... They think thier too important I guess.....

People that used to reply to my emails dont anymore and they say they are too busy... Ya 10 years ago they didnt seem to be!!!!!!!! Alot of times I send a text email and they dont reply to that either..... Really upsetting......

I know how your feeling nobodysbusiness!!

Old 02-07-2020, 01:40 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Ok. Got it. I am "neurotic and needy" for expecting a simple courtesy acknowledgement (even if "k") to the receipt of a text to a family member.

I hope all of the "mean people" get their karma in their loved ones not responding to them so they can see how it feels to be left hanging.

A text is a conversation starter . . . it is not done in a vacuum. There are two people involved and communication "should be" courteous and reciprocal.

There is no reason, after 24 hours, why a person could not respond with "k" or "talk later." If you think that's too much to ask, then I think you have little regard for the people trying to communicate with you.

And I know. It's your "right" not to care about others or how your behavior might impact them.

The world is so uncivil today.

If you teach your kids about common courtesy, be sure to tell them not to give a crap about other people and to think only of themselves at all times.
there are no texting rules. Yes, an "ok" would have been nice, but there is no rule and everyone has their own time frame to respond and that's just what texting is for IMO. You respond to your own convenience, that may be within a minute or within a few days.

Old 02-07-2020, 01:43 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:

A text is a conversation starter . . . it is not done in a vacuum. There are two people involved and communication "should be" courteous and reciprocal.

No, it is not necessarily a "conversation starter". It is simply a message. If your message needs a response then you should ask for a response. Don't project your standards upon everyone else.

Old 02-07-2020, 01:46 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,654,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambers72 View Post
I understand how you feel....... Hardily anyone replies to me anymore.... They think thier too important I guess.....

People that used to reply to my emails dont anymore and they say they are too busy... Ya 10 years ago they didnt seem to be!!!!!!!! Alot of times I send a text email and they dont reply to that either..... Really upsetting......

I know how your feeling nobodysbusiness!!
Thank you. Any caring person would understand.

It's not that difficult to send a simple acknowledgement like "k" or "busy now, talk later," etc. A response of any kind shows you value the relationship - no response means you do not value the relationship, and if it is someone you care about, that is going to hurt (unless you are so insensitive and self-involved you are impervious to hurt).

P.S. Everyone's busy these days, but that is no excuse for rudeness.

And to the people who said I should not have bothered her while she is away on business: She wasn't working 24/7.

In good relationships the people are courteous. You can still get your needs met and be courteous at the same time.

Old 02-07-2020, 01:55 PM

11,443 posts, read 626,119 times
Quote:
It's not that difficult to send a simple acknowledgement like "k" or "busy now, talk later," etc. A response of any kind shows you value the relationship - no response means you do not value the relationship, and if it is someone you care about, that is going to hurt (unless you are so insensitive and self-involved you are impervious to hurt).
Yes especially seeing they have no excuse.... Its not like most people now have to bootup and check thier stuff THEY HAVE IT RIGHT THERE!!!!

A friend of mine who is a computer repair guy (Has a shop in his house) used to reply to me constantly but now hardily ever does....... Its hurtful!!

I dont know whats happend to people but its not good......

Old 02-07-2020, 01:59 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
Quote:
Ok. Got it. I am "neurotic and needy" for expecting a simple courtesy acknowledgement (even if "k") to the receipt of a text to a family member.

I hope all of the "mean people" get their karma in their loved ones not responding to them so they can see how it feels to be left hanging.

There is no reason, after 24 hours, why a person could not respond with "k" or "talk later." If you think that's too much to ask, then I think you have little regard for the people trying to communicate with you.

And I know. It's your "right" not to care about others or how your behavior might impact them.

The world is so uncivil today.

If you teach your kids about common courtesy, be sure to tell them not to give a crap about other people and to think only of themselves at all times.

But your text SAID contact me when you get a chance.

If I got such a text, that's what I'd do. I'll contact you when I get a chance.

If you'd said Hey, can you call me in a few minutes? I've got something I need to tell you" Well that REQUIRES a response. Your previous text did not.

Old 02-07-2020, 02:02 PM

1,154 posts, read 366,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambers72 View Post
Yes especially seeing they have no excuse.... Its not like most people now have to bootup and check thier stuff THEY HAVE IT RIGHT THERE!!!!

A friend of mine who is a computer repair guy (Has a shop in his house) used to reply to me constantly but now hardily ever does....... Its hurtful!!

I dont know whats happend to people but its not good......
It's a reaction to being constantly beholden to others. Cell phones are the reason we have little privacy or time to ourselves any longer. For many people, the boundary between professional and personal life no longer exists. Turning off our cell phones and becoming unreachable is how some of us have chosen to take back our lives. The continual noise and interruptions of modern life have become unbearable, and, yes, that sometimes means we ignore calls and texts from family.

Old 02-07-2020, 02:03 PM

18,102 posts, read 15,676,604 times
Of course everyone would like their message/txt/voicemail to be a priority for the person they communicate with, and sometimes it is a priority. But (many) other times it's not and it's just noise coming in.

One of the things I learned I had to do when I managed projects was figure out how to communicate best with people. Some people respond to email, others a phone call, and others don't respond unless you are with them. I shouldn't have *had* to tailor my communication methods to an individual, but it turned out if I wanted to accomplish what I needed to accomplish, then I learned I had to be flexible and creative or else I'd be the one who suffered as a result. Not fair to me, but that's life.

IF you have some good information for someone, even a relative, then write it out in an email and send it. Does it take a phone conversation to pass along info? Sure you want to talk to your relative, but that relative wasn't readily available and even though they 'should have' acknowledged your text, they didn't until the next day. That's common.

Separate out your social need of being in touch and having a conversation from the "business purpose" of your contacting them -- providing information in this situation. Email is great for that. Or even a letter sent to them by US Mail. Once the information is in their hands, it's up to them to do something with it, or not.

Old 02-07-2020, 02:09 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,654,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
But your text SAID contact me when you get a chance.

If I got such a text, that's what I'd do. I'll contact you when I get a chance.

If you'd said Hey, can you call me in a few minutes? I've got something I need to tell you" Well that REQUIRES a response. Your previous text did not.
The lack of acknowledgement was the problem.

If she had simply texted back "ok," that would have been enough.

I was excited and wanted to share something with her, but I would have totally understood if she was not available to talk and had simply acknowledged my text.

And I know there is no changing people who are inconsiderate - I sometimes forget and never expected to get no response at all.

I think it would be a funny experiment the next time she texts me to not respond (I would never do that) - she would go ballistic! Can you imagine? She texts me and nothing . . . and after she tries again I would say "I am not glued to my phone." It's just so dysfunctional and disrespectful to ignore people. There are social conventions because common courtesy does matter in life.

Old 02-07-2020, 02:16 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,864,317 times
Quote:
A text is a conversation starter . . .
Yours wasn't, though. You asked her to call when she got a chance. It wasn't a question that required a reply, and it wasn't something that sounded urgent, so it wasn't unreasonable at all to leave it overnight+.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships